privateer4hire

Transport & Must Have Embarked Elements

I've read my paper copy, the print friendly and the other digital updated versions of Transport MAR.

Thought for sure I'd read it just reflected capacity (as in you could carry up to that many).

On re-read it looks like it's a MUST---that transports have to start the game with whatever minimum unit they can carry embarked.

Is that correct?

Yes and no. It is specified in the Helix Building part of the Orbats, so in most cases it's written like '1 <transport> with a < infantry unit > embarked', however that is not always the case, e.g the Intruder in the Directorate Core is optional, and as such has a different text. The Aquan Sedna does not have such a text, either.

I note that the Sorylian Core Helix says for the Mul’Kat Light Infantry Cadres,

"Each Cadre may be deployed via a Bol’Vak Light Transport Skiff for the appropriate additional points"

Which (I think) suggests that if you decide to buy the transport (Bol'Vak) for them that they start embarked on it. 

Thanks to both of you for responses.

It's the first sentence of the MAR that was throwing me off:

"This model is deployed with a number of Elements Embarked."

That seemed pretty much non-optional.

Of course, "a number" could be argued to be zero, I suppose :)

Primary reason I was asking was I've not had luck transporting fish-men in the Sedna.

Had been thinking about putting my infantry out on foot at game's beginning, near my opponent's primary so I could occupy it straight away.

If they have to start game Embarked then that's a turn of getting out, moving to but being unable to occupy.

It also limits where I can place my Sedna if I'm going for opposing tertiary.

...Had been thinking about putting my infantry out on foot at game's beginning, near my opponent's primary so I could occupy it straight away...

You can but DON'T vs Dindrezi... wait I am a Din player.... ALWAYS DO THIS! Tell your friends to do this!!!!!

You can but DON'T vs Dindrezi... wait I am a Din player.... ALWAYS DO THIS! Tell your friends to do this!!!!!

Well, I figured I'd at least let my infantry die in a building instead of immediately after the Sedna popped open and a drop pod of max-tooled-up Din infantry killed my troops out in the open :)

Well, I figured I'd at least let my infantry die in a building instead of immediately after the Sedna popped open and a drop pod of max-tooled-up Din infantry killed my troops out in the open :)

Oh it's no problem... we'll wait for them to get inside.  :D

Dying inside at least nets me whatever TV they would have gotten for Turn 1 occupation.

Playing my 2nd ever game of PF I knew my squid-troops were goo once the Dindrenzi player started totalling up his CQB dice (5 per base cause they're awesome; 2 for being sweepers; 18 more for combat drugs; carry the one, etc...)  

I'm exaggerating, of course, but only a little :)

Dying inside at least nets me whatever TV they would have gotten for Turn 1 occupation.

Playing my 2nd ever game of PF I knew my squid-troops were goo once the Dindrenzi player started totalling up his CQB dice (5 per base cause they're awesome; 2 for being sweepers; 18 more for combat drugs; carry the one, etc...)  

I'm exaggerating, of course, but only a little :)

That's the issue with the changes in the last two orbats, we're practically rewarded for waiting till the activation after your entering the objective, you'll never see that TV. Though we may let you have it to coincide our drop with "Up close and personal" to end you in one turn.

I think the point here, in case anybody is missing it, is that the only way to exit from a transport or drop pod and go immediately to occupying a building is through a Storming CQB action. You can only storm if the building in question is occupied (which is weird, but that's how the rules are written), so if you leave your objective building unoccupied, then the invading infantry have to spend at least part of a turn on the table where you can shoot at them. If your building is occupied and the invading infantry are strong enough (strong enough: adjective phrase, see Dindrenzi sweeper team), then they can immediately take the building from you, then sit there laughing at you as they accumulate TV value!

I think the point here, in case anybody is missing it, is that the only way to exit from a transport or drop pod and go immediately to occupying a building is through a Storming CQB action. You can only storm if the building in question is occupied (which is weird, but that's how the rules are written), so if you leave your objective building unoccupied, then the invading infantry have to spend at least part of a turn on the table where you can shoot at them. If your building is occupied and the invading infantry are strong enough (strong enough: adjective phrase, see Dindrenzi sweeper team), then they can immediately take the building from you, then sit there laughing at you as they accumulate TV value!

Yeah, the frightening part being all we have to do is have a single base touching the building and have done more damage... which is much easier than it sounds.

Yeah, the frightening part being all we have to do is have a single base touching the building and have done more damage... which is much easier than it sounds.

That one base has to remain alive though. If there are no bases remaining in base-to-base contact, your Storming Action fails... :)

might be nice to get SG to clarify this on/for all orbats, taking inf w/o apc? well maybe a way to shave points?

I believe it depends on faction.

For example, Terran Hirdmen in the Core Helix are listed as such:

0-2 Sinir APC Tanks with a Hirdmen Light Infantry Cadre embarked

while Directorate Patriots are listed as such:

0-2 Patriot Infantry Cadres. Each Cadre may be deployed via an Intruder Medium Transport for the appropriate additional points

To me, this seems like Hirdmen MUST have a Sinir taken with them, while Patriots can walk in if they wish to.

I believe it depends on faction.

To me, this seems like Hirdmen MUST have a Sinir taken with them, while Patriots can walk in if they wish to.

That's my reading as well. Having that kind of difference in wording otherwise doesn't make sense.

I would still like for Derek to clarify this the may/must in the orbats as I think that it is important in a small way and just may be a matter of wording that just got by and not realizing that this issue might come up. Who knows? A word would be nice..my 2 cents.