Sign in to follow this  
Hubcap

Feeling the Hate

Just an observation but it seems people don't think France has any right to be a dystopian world power so if you could create the next set of events in the dystopian world to show the expansion of Frances influence over the world what would it be?

That's quite amazing considering the place of France during the XIX century... may be those people should go back a bit to their history books...

Even if the Sturginium revolution change completly the world, it is not reasonable to imagine that France has lost it's place among the XIX century world first rank nations.

Retake Canada :P .  Seriously though most people forget just how big a colonial power France was.  For a while they had the largest part of North America and North Africa, and holdings in India and South-East Asia.  The France in DWs is what is left after their colonial empire collapsed.  Looking at a map of the French colonial territories gives a good idea of what the RoF would probably want to reclaim.  I would say probably their former holdings in North Africa, easy access to resources and trade routes and fairly easy to defend than other former colonies.

Heh, X beat me to it.  Also, do not forget that their are still people that speak with a bastardised French accent on the southern coast of the United States :D .

just remember the difference between a "Major" and a "Minor" nation is just background fluff- the Major nations have an International outlook, whether it is to expand or reclaim it's international holdings, and the Minor nations are either semi-autonomous domains of one of the Major nations, or are independent nations just trying to keep what they have from being steamrolled. the mercenary companies/nations are a mix of the two

In real world 19th century france was (weakened by being) one of the biggest colonial powers.

It had the majority of its military in its colonies, leaving the homeland almost undefended.

Most colonies were not profitable and weakened the state.

Thats why Napoleon got rid of the first colonial empire and de Gaulle in 1958 liberated the second empire.

==> every 150 years a smart polititian appears in the french gouvernment. The others... well...

The power of DW french forces is explained as due to having "the advantage of concentration on their side, with the bulk of their forces stationed in their home country." (page 35, top of column two)

Seriously it's fair enough for an English game, as a French if I have to write the fluff about an alternate universe, I will simply wip the English from the map: like a meteorite had fallen on England, there are only Scotland and Irland left, the rest is a massive crater.
Bye bye no more "rosebeef" :).

I really like the fluff part for France but just as a general thing I was wondering what people's ideas are for extending the fluff a bit like

"What happened a year after the full scale war started" type of thing. I'm a gamer at heart but I also like to think of a kind of story version of this world as it plays out. The best way to view it (at least for me is) is to see how everyone else views the world of dystopian wars evolving in a time line kind of way.

(As an FYI I'm writing out ideas for a possible mesh up of short stories for my group to one day enjoy a good read)