Ok this is a subject that has been grinding my gears here lately. I love the game, its mechanics, and the fluff. As a southerner I LOVE the fact that the CSA won the War of Northern Aggression, and therein lies the rub, the names of the ships.

It seems that with the CSA winning the war the ships should have a more southern flavor, but yet the majority of them have northern, or as we southerners say, damnyankee name.

Enterprise DN -On the surface it seems innocuous as there seems to be a USS Enterprise in the US Navy for most of history, so yankee.

Liberty and Independence BB and HBB- OK these are neutral.

Boston sub- yankee.

Saratoga CVA- Saratoga is in NY, thus yankee.

San Francisco CVS- OK Frisco is in CA on the left coast, but CA sided with the Union, so yankee.

Annapolis BCH- Annapolis is in MD, nominally a border state, but sided with the Union, and home of the US Naval Academy, so yankee.

Princeton CAG- named after a city in NJ, yankee.

Georgetown CA- a neighborhood in Washington DC, yankee.

Lexington CL - A small town near Boston, yankee.

Yale HD- a college near Boston, yankee.

Guilford DD -I am assuming it is named after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC in the American Revolution, where we bloddied Conwallis nose so badly that he retreated to Yorktown where he surrendered. Finally some love for the south.

Augusta FF - this one could go either way. There is an Augusta ME & GA.

Revere DCE- Hero of the Revolution to all Americans , but from Boston, so yankee, maybe.

Springfield DE- a small town in MA, but numerous other statesvas well, still gonna mark this one as yankee.

So only 2 ships with southern leaning names. I guess that rationale for this could be that with the wsr being over only 7 years or so these ships were in service before the war started and reflect the arrogance if the northern government before the late unpleasantness. Still very much one sided.

Now to the airships.

Savannah SF- ok southern.

Valley - could be Valley Forge, PA. But Iam gonna say neutral.

New Orleans RZ- Southern.

John Henry FR- a great American folk hero, neutral.

Lee SZ - ok definitely southern, but ya would think that the biggest name in southern military history would get a lil more than a scoutship, but this is an awesome work horse.

Avion SB- ummm wtf? No idea where this name is from, so neutral.

The other aircraft are given alpha numerical names.

Well the south got all the love here, well except for the Avion, but still coming in behind the north in the total.

On to the land side.

Alamo MA- Texas, big, yeah southern.

Washington LS- Obviously named for General/President George Washington, a Virginian, but hero to all Americans, but still southern.

Philadelphia LS - yankee

Tennessee LS- southern.

Trenton MT- named after a city in NJ, yankee.

Jackson MT- whether named for the President or ole Stonewall, southern.

Reno CT- likely named for the city in NV, not a member of Custers ill fated expedition, neutral.

Pioneer ST- neutral.

So by the time you add in the land stuff its closer, but still weighted to the north.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to give a lil perspective on the names from a southern slant for all those who ain't as familiar with American history.

Those ain't the names of the ships, but the classes. I named all my ships after Southern cities, exept one, but that a personal thing. But if you want to rename your ships then feel free to do so.

But as for legions, Im kinda dissapointed that Jessie James and other CSA gorillas aren't characters.

The FSA legions characters are Beauregard... Likely named after P.G.T Beauregard, a New Orleans man and general in the CSA. 

Orlington I don't know of a historical character for his basis.

They just added a Treadbike Officer which although not named I feel is based on a number of the great Confederate cavalry officers such as Jeb Stuart.

Jesse James the outlaw? I'm glad that they chose not to commemorate that man who chose to live his life committing thuggish acts.

I think that Beauregard and modelling the Treadbike officer as great leaders of men and tacticians is a much better idea.

If you REALLY want Jesse James he fits in as the Wilderness Section much better. They are the Guerrilla fighters, trying to fight stealthily and with more brute force.

It makes no sense for Jesse James to be a Treadbike officer because he wasn't a cavalryman much less any leader other than after the war when he just went around terrorizing civilians.

I'm not sure you are quite right here, bigsquatch. Surely any names harking back to glorious episodes of the history of pre-civil war country are neutral?

For example Lexington was the first battle of the war that gave the USA( Now CSA) independence. Not all that yankee, is it? Saratoga and Princeton are more revolutionary war battlefields. It is just an accident of history that as the revolutionary war  occurred before the Louisiana purchase and acquisition of texas, most of the big battles  were fought in what would become the North in the Civil War.

Also, you have to get the right origin for the name. Lexington is the second largest city in Kentucky, as well as being in New England

Georgetown, Washington DC, is named for the battle of Georgetown ( South Carolina, revolutionary war) Washington DC did not exist at the time!

The Springfield refers to the firearm used by both sides of the Civil War. In the DW timeline, this is therefore the firearm the south won with- well worth naming something after!

Geeko 170- Yeah I meant to mention that they were Class names, oooops. And I, being a proud Tarheel, named all my capital ships with a NC theme. My dreads and BBs are named for ironclads built there, gunships after college sports teams, cruisers after cities. The corvettes I named after muscle cars, I know cars aint been invented this just my lil play on the word corvette.

Bunnahabhain - I agree that most of the names of revolution origin are neutral-ish, and yes sacred to both sides. And and as I wrote in my original post that the Class names are pre CW names. The new Adams FSA government also probably had bigger fish to fry than renaming existing ships, also probably think its a good idea along the lines of reconciliation to keep with giving northern names. The north was also more maritime oriented than the south, so I can see some logic.

However I would have loved to have seen the Boston named the Hunley, which I named mine, after the famous Confederate sub that was the first of its kind to sink an enemy warship, the Housatonic. Sadly it also sank as well. Spartan did miss a great opportunity with the Turtles however. The Turtle was an actual sub used in the Revolution to try and drill a hole in the bottom of British ships, but the drill couldn't pierce the copper plating on the hull, good try guys. The CSN did have semi submersible ships called Davids thst were used for both torpedo attacks and boarding.

Nazdruk- Had no idea about towns named Pioneer, I just figured it was named for the pioneer spirit of America. I completely forgot about the Columbia land train, and am completely ignorant of towns\cities named Avion. Thanks for the info.

I think Jesse James would be a better fit to the jump pack troops. They are closer to the fast attack of the cavalry than the clunky treadbikes. With both hands free to shoot 2 pistols, yeah they look awesome. I am just getting started with Legions, but I know now what I am gonna name my jet pack officer.

Keep in mind that the civil war that happened in Dystopian wars, was not the same as the the one fought in our history.  It was fought eariler, more over mineral rights than anything else and fought with wildely different technology. Though we had the Hunely, they DW wars southern states might not have.   That and even though the southern states one, It was not as emotional or crippling as our civil war, there was a much faster reconciliation between the various states.  I could see them naming things from across the spectrum.  Remember while the armies are under the control of the various states, the federal government has  control over the navy so they are more likely to spread the names around to keep the various states happy.

Yeah that makes sense. And after rereading what lil bit of fluff there is at the time, I saw that the FSA airships came about because of captured Prussian Zeppelins. So in fact they are indeed newer vessel's and do have more southern inspired names, cementing the idea that naval vessel's are pre-war design.

Ah well back to planning the recapture of the Caribbean islands that the Blazing Sun and Prussians stole.

Hey Bigsquatch, if you was gonna name another Augusta frigate, what would you call it? I'm doing a support frigate using an Augusta hull and I'm stuck for a name...

Hmm...orders of battle that can be used as inspirations for FSA ship names...

Battle of Leyete Gulf is a good one - probably the largest engagement the US navy has ever undertaken.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_oob/OOB_WWII_Pacific/OOB_WWII_Cape_Engano.htm (not exactly intuitive, but its all there)

But there's also Coral Sea, Midway, Pearl Harbour...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Coral_Sea_order_of_battle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_order_of_battle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_battle_of_the_Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

Just realised those can also be used to provide names for the EotBS...

Hey Bigsquatch, if you was gonna name another Augusta frigate, what would you call it? I'm doing a support frigate using an Augusta hull and I'm stuck for a name...

I would ho with either Greenville, Jacksonville, or Fayetteville, all names of towns popular across the US.

For larger pieces, I usually name them personally while painting, but for smaller things like Augustas, Reveres, Springfields, and so forth, I have a different method.

What I did is compiled a big .txt file of all kinds of various stuff: names of counties, names of Civil War generals and ships, names of towns, signers of the Declaration of Independence, etc. Then, I just throw the whole list into a random choice selector (here: http://www.miniwebtool.com/random-picker/) and pick what spits out.

In real life, standardized ship naming conventions didn't come about until Teddy Roosevelt's time as SECNAV. The way I see it, the DWarsverse really heavily emphasizes local- and state-based decision-making; therefore, it makes sense that the money to build each ship is appropriated by state legislatures, or perhaps funded by wealthy sponsors as many Civil War regiments were, or even sponsored by "Liberty Bond"-type charity drives. Therefore, you'll get a great variety in names--Alabama's legislature will name ships after battles in Alabama or famous Alabamans, wealthy donors might name the ships after themselves, and so on and so forth.

However, since I style my FSA force as a Federal division, it makes sense that they would have levied from multiple states, hence the feasibility of the big, random list. If you were doing a Territorial or State force, maybe those vehicles and ships would be named after battles and bigwigs of a certain state--which would make for some fun history researching to dig up.

This is in fact very close to how I do it. My DN is the FSS North Carolina, named for an ACW ironclad. My battleships are named after other ironclads built in the Tarheel state. Cruisers are named for cities, smaller vessels are named for NC notables. My Saratoga I named Kitty Hawk, I know that the Wright bros didn't do powered flight in this universe, but who's to say that the first American powered flight didn't happen there?