Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Dan

Fluff Ideas about the Nor'Bar'Ro

I just dislike the original fluff about the Nor'Bar´Ro being the acient great beast of knowledge that guides the sorylians, because is unwise to throw them in the thickest of the combat as is expected for a Leviathan that other races mass produce, so I decided to make a backgroud for them that is compatible with the 'Ancients' concept but at the same time keeps those wise great ones safe....

... So. What if ...

... the Nor'Bar'Ro are mass-produced clones of an original Ancient One that is kept safe in Kerender or any other Sphere world?

The clones lack conscience by themselves but, instead they work as a psychic node belonging to the real Ancient One they come from. In short: the Ancient One can project his mind through the clones and speak and lisent through them so, receiving orders from a Nor'Ba'Ro means receiving orderd from the Ancient One himself, so the Sorylians can this way bring his widsom right to the heat of the battle without exposing him.

The Sorylian use those clones not only for war, but for any other civilian uses in th everyday life. The ones used for war have been strenghtened to wistand the hazards of battle. They have subderamal armor beneath their already thick hide, the surface of it has also been improved to disperse heat coming from energy weapons thanks to micro-crystaline formations, their skeleton has been also further strenghtended with bio-metallic alloys and with the help of the aquans their nervous system has been shielded against shock and extreme pain, so the Nor´Bar'Ro become a truly terrifying warmachine.(Despite the Directorate also found a way to inject a nano-virus that cann still "hack" the nerves from  small shakes to a temporary frenzied loss of control)

That's an improvement I guess, but the real problem is the whole ancient elder idea on Sorylians, and it's Aquans and Directorate you would expect to be mucking about with biological science.  Sorylians were setup as very deliberate engineers and physical scientists who studied issues to death as a group (the conference that ended the Civil War that split the Saurians off apparently lasted a few hundred YEARS).  And now they're actually supposed to be just students learning at the feet of a revered master who's in charge?  One who is biologically not even in the same genus? Sorry--what the Planetfall "elder" did to pre-existing Firestorm universe fluff is a real pet peeve of mine (and don't get me started on Relthoza drones either).

Personally I think of them as giant trained beasts of burden, and leave it at that.  Even better, the local Sorylian player feels the same way I do, so he's trying to figure out how to proxy the model with something from another model line entirely.

To be clear, I still enjoy playing the Planetfall *game*, I just think the fluff tie-in to Armada was somewhere between lacking and flat out contradictory, which as an Armada player for many years prior to Planetfall is rather irritating--it almost seems like a few things were simply ignored and the Planetfall guys just said "screw Armada, we'll describe it like this, even if it invalidates half their faction background".  My apologies to the Planetfall team--I don't REALLY think that was what you meant, but I know I'm not the only Armada player to feel that you were a little cavalier with the universe we started.  Now you're stealing our ship names too and using them on ground units :)<end pointless rant>

I agree with reddwarf. The Aquans have the giant elder leading the race thingy already sewn up why would the Sorylians have the same schtick? It's a beast of burden for me all the way (a super nasty one with a sore tooth!).

I rationalise it that the Eldars are the Infantry models on the back of the beast, and when the infantry upgrade packs get released I will be using the leader models on the beasts back. I will probably model a whole load of armour plates to its face and legs. If I am stuck with a living model I am so tying it in more with the rest of the range.

Alternatively I will use the Terran model and paint it up in my Sorylian colours because that model is just a beast :)