Kurgan

Directorate Pacification Fleet

Ok, we are probably the only faction without this topic, so...

FATD22-2.jpg?1432688745

For the Directorate, planetary asset acquisition is the zenith of capitalist opportunities. They remain, however, the most risky of ventures, and smaller companies are often made or broken on the battlefields of alien worlds. As such, Directorate invasion ships will usually allow their support ships to do the bulk of enemy clearance operations before proceeding to their insertion sites. Although their planetfall capable ships are well built, the cloned, cybernetic or robotic troops they contain are seen less as life to be protected, and more as assets to be properly utilised.

This is aptly demonstrated in the simple Induction class Frigate, a ship closely related to the Enforcer, and owing much to its Sabulon heritage. With no offensive weapons (and thus a smaller power core), the ship has more internal strengthening, a larger point defence grid, and yet retains the same speed performance at a lower price point than the Enforcer. Against sustained or heavy fire, however, it has little protection – a shielding system on such a ship is considered too much of an investment when the bulk of its cargo are little more than murderous cloned automata.

The Appropriation and Integration are somewhat different from this model, being designed to carry both command staff and more expensive ground equipment – they are thus more heavily protected and also bear reasonable weapons arrays, making them much more multi-purpose vessels than the fairly niche Induction Class.

This boxed set ships with a booklet containing information on six fleet commanders. Included in the booklet is rules for invading planets and linking forces to the Firestorm Planetfall ground game, along with sample scenarios to get players started.

• 1 Integration Class Assault Carrier
  • 3 Appropriation Class Assault Cruisers
  • 4 Induction Class Frigates
  • 1 Large SRS Token
  • 1 Small SRS Token
  • 1 scenery sheet (A5)
  • 1 booklet (A5)

So, what do you guys think? Do you like the new ships?

As for myself, I have to say I love Induction Frigates and the Integration Carrier. I am not so sold on the Appropriation Cruisers, simply because they recycled the RotO parts and only replaced the middle section and they lack the pointy or rounded front...they look too wide and too blunt...but we will see. Also the Intergration looks pretty small compared to them and looks more like a Battlecruiser size.

I think from the design is pretty clear Appropriation probably won't have any forward weaponry - there is a chance as those turrets can fire in the fore arc, but not directly forward. When creating these ships I would probably go for strong fore (clearly the case here too) and either strong shields or cloaks with indirect weapons (cyber to hack enemy defences). That should give these ships a good chance to get to the planet. What are your speculations?

Alex hinted our ships might have the Durable MAR...which is probably the opposite of Vulnerable and gives you the chance to force opponent ro re-roll critical hit.

I keep looking at the renders and thinking 'why is the Deterrent in the middle of it?' 

How do you confuse the new ship with the Deterrent?

It is shorter (look at the part between the rear "armor"-segment and the radiator at the engin) and has another front "armor" (it's shorter at the top-end). Maybe no Reinforced fore?

It looks a bit like a Deterrent because of its size and Directorate general design. When you look at it closely it is something completely different. If it would be larger you wouldn't even thought about associating with the Deterrent.

Unlike the small Induction Frigates, the Integration and the Approbation ship appears to have very large power core for ships of their size.

My guess is that they will get at least One more Shield dice compared of other ships in the same class.

Assault Carrier = Shield 3 or 4

Assault Cruiser = Shield 2 or 3

I kind of like the cruiser. The big blunt front section makes it look blunt and durable - exactly what they're going for in these planetary assault cruisers. I agree that the carrier isn't all that distinct from some of the existing Directorate stuff, and that's a shame. I do like the frigates revisiting the very original Directorat frigate from back in the days of the mk1 patrol fleets. Overall, though, this looks like a pretty good release.

Remember these are designed to make and support planetfall so while they may have some good options I wouldn't get my heart set on them being anything significantly different from what we have already. 3 and 4 shield ratings for instance when shields are a minor aspect for us is probably a stretch. Cyber options and reinforced hulls do make good sense though and being ASSAULT vessels (finally!) I think we can safely assume that we're looking at some nice (well equipped and/or cheap) additions to our already top of the line boarding threats. 

I do like the designs also, the small ship being so close to the original frigate is a nice touch and I can easily see some people breaking out their Enforcers as proxies even. The simplicity of the assault cruiser also appeals to me. The strictly armored prow speaks that this isn't a fancy gunboat by any means, but is instead designed to weather a flurry of fire and still be able to get the cargo to it's destination. It doesn't hurt that the armored section reminds me a bit of the newer Galactica and it jumping into atmo to disgorge attackers... mmmm sexy. I don't know on the guns either though, they do look to be cut off a bit to the front, maybe an issue with the angle in the render or maybe they're gunracks like a few of our ships? Or maybe there are more weapons on the bottom that cover the fore arc better? The carrier is a bit bland admittedly and it's lacking the lovely basestar design of the previous carriers so it's probably the biggest miss of the bunch for me, but even that is a minor concern as the ship doesn't look bad... 

Dang two BSG references too... Now I need to hit the Netflix and watch a few episodes... 

Seeing as how we sort of already had assault cruisers, albeit heavily armed and armored ones classified as heavy cruisers, and that our regular cruisers can almost outperform real assault cruisers in that department, and that these are designed for planetary assault vice shipboard assault makes me really excited to see what they actually do.

As for the Integration, I love the idea of a sleek and fast assault carrier to run alongside my other sleek and fast Directorate toys . . . . oh right, I have an Attrition. So since our natural ally gives us access to what was the only assault carrier in the game (until these box sets release), that still is a fast and durable deliverer of AP, I am also really interested to see how this new one functions. I'm looking forward to seeing what another assault carrier does, considering there has only been one example so far, and I really like it.

I do love the aesthetics of these models, especially seeing the large amounts of similarities to other ships. The modular designing of the Annihilations, Tormentors, and these new Appropriations really hits me as a very corporate thing to do.

Stumbled upon these via Google:

Nice! Thanks.

From these pictures Appropriation really looks like it can fire like most Directorate ships all around. Have to say they found a great way to put those forward turrets!

Integration has a very interesting model sadly without any direct fore turrets. It is really a drop ship from the look of it with all those hangar doors and doors for drop pods etc. Really nice. Do you recognise the middle aft section? It is from a Tormentor R&D Cruiser, at least it has the same general shape etc. but not the same proportions or details.

You have the forward turrets with arc limited to fore only and then you have the top turrets that looks like they just can't fire directly to the fore. They could be together listed under one weapon system which would give them the possible 360 coverage.

Either way I am really looking forward to get my hands on these ships.

Looking closely at the Assault Cruiser, I can now clearly see they use the same side pieces from the Turmoil Class R&D Cruiser and the Gunship from RoTO's starter box. So only the central piece will be different (thus I believe this model will be in three parts plus the usual standing point for Flying Peg).

Very nice overall. I really like the background story as well. Will certainly use the Tier I and Tiers II for my corporation!

I really hope Induction Frigates could be used in normal fleets too, just as boarding Frigates. They are lovely (yes, I really like the old rounded design) and it would be fun just fly around and try to capture something.

While I do like the larger squadron sizes available to certain fleets, I also love the efficiency of these 2 ship squadrons. Nemeses, Annihilations, Turmoils and Nullifiers really bring a nice package to the table for decent points. This often allows me to fit another squadron into my fleets, giving a chance for activation advantage. This doesn't mean I don't use other squadrons, just that I like the options that all our ships provide us when choosing how to make a profit.

I also like these 2 ship squadrons as they bring a lot of potential. Especially Nemesis is really good at this as two of them are only 150 points and that is the cheapest T2 squadron we have.