Sign in to follow this  
Jay-D

Medium Spam: fragile but hart hitting

How about abnormal amount of mediums: 60% or more.

We have the most fragile mediums in the game but maybe also the best damage dealers.

If you have a decent amount of large islands (as per rules) i would like to try to test this strategy. Mistakes will be punished hard but the the enormous firepower is maybe even harder for the enemy.

Any experience with this?

The kingdom of Denmark wants to talk to you about your claims to fragility and damage dealing.

As to going medium heavy, I can't speak for the French fleet, but I find the medium squadrons do most of the heavy work in my coa and kob fleets. It is often a struggle to get all the mediums I want in, whilst still maintaining a decent number of smalls and larges.

I tend to run a squadron Dieppes, a squadron Toulons and a cherbourg so thats pretty medium heavy. Gives my opponent the though choice between the three. Works reasonably well. Thinking about getting a second squadron of Dieppes!

Nearly the same for me : Toulons first, then Dieppe or Ecuyer or in smaller game "only" a Cherbourg... In larger games, Furieux or Voltaire are coming next (or now the new bombers...).

Would 6 Cherbourgs be OTT?!

I like to use larges and massives to screen mediums. Thankfully the French mediums have very narrow hulls so this is possible. Le Rochelle is great at this because it is tough, massive in its profile and with the GNE Generator can keep up with our mediums.

Remember flanking is very useful for Heat lance ships as you can start untouched in RB2.

Advanced deployment of two squadrons of armoured cruisers can give you plenty of spectacular firepower in the early game, use a dieppe squadron for more reserved mediums and avoiding handing your opponent destroy all mediums too easily or a squadron of artillery subs.

Would 6 Cherbourgs be OTT?!

I like to use larges and massives to screen mediums. Thankfully the French mediums have very narrow hulls so this is possible. Le Rochelle is great at this because it is tough, massive in its profile and with the GNE Generator can keep up with our mediums.

Remember flanking is very useful for Heat lance ships as you can start untouched in RB2.

A model cannot GNE boost itself (the generator effects a ready to activate squadron, which the currently active squadron is not)

As for narrow, out of all of my fleets, only the Brits are wider than the French on a model to comparable model basis- except on the Dreadnaught class vessels, where Charlemagne- 'Charles the great' is rather accurate, and Vauban reflects the fact he built city sized fortifications....

Heat lances as reserve or flanking forces though? I agree absolutley. A Cherbourg in reserve has a large threat range, is quite cheap, and denies the all mediums order.

I am really loving the Medium 'spam'. 1 battle ship and a baby carrier/magenta. two units of smalls and throw the rest of the points into the medium slot in my opinion.

Dieppe, Epaulard, Toulon, Cherbourg. the options are endless. they all hit really hard and you imo are decently priced.

big fan of this idea!!!