We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Mazin1

The Wraith

So I've played against it twice and though I killed it in my last game I found out that it doesn't take a hit to its DR for side or rear attacks. I already feel it's pretty op and this puts it way above the bar.

Granted it is very expensive but it can and does dominate the board.

It doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. It can move flat out 1st turn needing 6s to hit it. On the next turn it can move and drop its transport and if you can't kill it that turn it can move and drop its grand company and attack that activation destroying anything it touches. That's like 11inches between the transport and CQB.

So Pros are:

Fast

flyer rules/ no negatives for shooting at side or rear

High DR

loaded with guns

Independent targeting

High CQB

Decent shield rating

Transport

Makes our Leviathan look terrible (my opinion)

Con: ...can't think of any

So what do you guys think. How do you deal with it

How about the aquan specialities - AA and Precision? Sure, moving flat out will cause it to be hit on 6's, but this prevents it from using its superb firepower - and I can think of several better ways of delivering infantry that cost less than 750 pts.

Seriously, the Aquan core comes with the AA batteries that skydrop (and are corrosive to boot), and the heavy helix has its own AA battery in the support tank. On top of that, a lot of Aquan units come with Precision weapons - focus fire (negating part of the aerial hard target) and go for scoring a hit and then rolling the precision proc. Seriously, I'm worried about the thing's survivability with the second-lowest DR line of the Leviathans, and only 3 shields - Hard target only goes so far.

You could also throw forward a Heavy Skimmer squad with support tank attached and infantry mounted - 13 CQB followed by 16 CQB is sure to cause problems to it. Heck, fire at it with the Heavies afterwards. If those three attacks don't cause at least one point of damage, I'd be surprised (and thanking the gods of banking...)

Well, being a flyer does mean that EVERYTHING can see it, all the time, it effectively cannot hide at all so you can start laying shots on it no matter where it is and thus just sit there and make placed shots as Draco says when it chooses not to flat out. With only 3 shields and medicore DR for a leviathan, it should drop via bug bite attacks, it will take several units most likely but it should.

The Wraith does not have sectored armor. The APC it carries does, but it does not so drop those stingrays in the tail pipe for maximum effect. It did get a buff in today's update, and it is a beast. However; it's not unkillable.

It may not have sectored armour, but it is a flyer, so its not affected by flank and rear bonuses (p107, rulebook)

And, yes, the extra two shields are a bit of a buff.

Cant it use the transport to land a lot of infantry aswell and they can activate straight away, it says the transport is included in its points but it doesn't feel like it is, considering the cost it should prob be 850 or 900 and increasing its shields.......are the playtests just directorate players...... 

I'm a little less worried about it since our new LRS throws 5 dice a piece at 15". Oh it also has corrosive and interceptor Mars. 4 throw 20 dice. That's devastating against the Wraith or any flyer for that matter.

Wow. So our whole group just straight missed the no flank/aft on flyers thing.  That has lead to multiple instances of dead wraiths, sheriffs, guardsmen, witches, and iophons that would have otherwise survived. Given this our Directorate player will likely be going double wraith.

Wow. So our whole group just straight missed the no flank/aft on flyers thing.  That has lead to multiple instances of dead wraiths, sheriffs, guardsmen, witches, and iophons that would have otherwise survived. Given this our Directorate player will likely be going double wraith.

Our Directorate player runs 2 Wraiths, very hard to kill. Especially now that it got buffed to 5 shields.

Really depends on the player though, if they go full derp and rush it straight in it would be easy but if they sit back for 2 turns sniping due to its superior range you'll run into trouble.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.