Sign in to follow this  
Archeantus

Mine Placement - Ruling from Spartan

FYI - I asked Spartan this a few weeks back:

My group needs clarification in regards to the mine placement rules:

" A model can place a Mine at any point during the Movement Segment of its activation, anywhere within its Aft arc of fire and 4" of its Flight Peg."

1. Can the mine be placed on top of a terrain piece such as a planetoid or comet? 
2. Can the mine be placed on the flight base of another model?
3. If "at any point during the Movement Segment" of a model's activation, the active player wishes to place a mine but at that point in the model's movement, said model cannot be placed on the table in order to measure 4" from the flight peg (for example, there are intervening models), can the mine still somehow be placed in that location or must the activating model pause its movement in a "legal" position to place a mine? (see example image)

mineExample.jpg

​Directorate Destroyer A wishes to place a mine in the location indicated by the mine marker. However, Destroyer A does not "fit" on the table anywhere in range of the mine marker along its desired flight path.
In this example can the phrase "at any point during the Movement Segment of its activation, anywhere within its Aft arc of fire and 4" of its Flight Peg" be interpreted as "at any location along its movement path that was, at some point during its Movement Segment of its activation, within its Aft arc of fire and 4" of its Flight Peg" OR can the mine simply not be legally placed in that location?

Here was the reply from Neil:

Hi Matt,

1) No

2) No

3) Yes - if in the case of a Squadron (such as the Directorate Destroyers shown), the mine placement must be a point that ALL the ships could legally have placed the mine if they wish to link. The phrasing “at any point during the movement segment” specifically allow the mine to be laid at any point - as long as it can be shown that this is the case, the mine may be placed. 

Cheers,

Neil

The only caveat is that not all terrain blocks mine placement--you can place one in a gas cloud or other "area terrain" piece, for example.  Just not in a solid object like a planet or comet (your specific examples).