Sign in to follow this  
Chief Mutt

Bringing back "Looted Models"

Does anybody else want the Looted Model rules back from Marauders of the Rift v1?

I don't get to play often, the game hasn't truely taken off here but I love the fluff for using looted models and want them back.  Most of my group tend to be hide bound and not keen to go outside current rules and allow the old.

I would love for my Syndicate to run a couple "old" Directorate cruisers ;)

I'm sure when the new Marauders boxsets come out, Spartan will have updated fleet lists. In there, I'm hoping they will add some new rules and or TAC cards. There is a lot of room here to expand their role with the current war.

I'm concerned that this would be extremely hard to balance. It would be so easy to assemble a fleet that has the best of all possible worlds: the stealthiest destroyers, the most powerful cruisers, the best shunting-in assaulters. On the other hand, the fact is that it's kind of silly for pirates to have anything like universal ships. I mean, sure, it's cool for there to be a most common kind of pirate ship in each class, representing the ship that's most attractive and most commonly to bought/stolen... but it's most realistic for pirates to be renegades, criminals, and deserters, often using souped-up civilian vessels or the military vessels they deserted in, or military level ships they've stolen. So... some kind of "looted" ship mechanic seems inevitable.

I don't know. It's a messy situation. I wonder how Spartan is going to get out of it. Maybe looted ships will remain outside the rules?

I'm concerned that this would be extremely hard to balance. It would be so easy to assemble a fleet that has the best of all possible worlds: the stealthiest destroyers, the most powerful cruisers, the best shunting-in assaulters. On the other hand, the fact is that it's kind of silly for pirates to have anything like universal ships. I mean, sure, it's cool for there to be a most common kind of pirate ship in each class, representing the ship that's most attractive and most commonly to bought/stolen... but it's most realistic for pirates to be renegades, criminals, and deserters, often using souped-up civilian vessels or the military vessels they deserted in, or military level ships they've stolen. So... some kind of "looted" ship mechanic seems inevitable.

I don't know. It's a messy situation. I wonder how Spartan is going to get out of it. Maybe looted ships will remain outside the rules?

The MotR rules for looted squadrons were fairly solid, even with the ways to modify the models that the original fleets themselves could not.  With the introduction of free / extremely cheap "gain this but lose that" hard points and upgrades seen mostly on the Corsairs, I don't think it would be too difficult to have a "looted" hard point / upgrade selection for different classes of ships.  I could see the addition of something similar to the captured squadrons for the Pathogen, where a looted model has a basic stat block regardless of what it used to be, with addition of a diverse selection of "this for that" hard points / upgrades.  The trick would be in balancing them out as useful and helpful, but not outright better selections than actual marauder vessels, just cheaper toys that have niche functions.

The MotR rules for looted squadrons were fairly solid, even with the ways to modify the models that the original fleets themselves could not.  With the introduction of free / extremely cheap "gain this but lose that" hard points and upgrades seen mostly on the Corsairs, I don't think it would be too difficult to have a "looted" hard point / upgrade selection for different classes of ships.  I could see the addition of something similar to the captured squadrons for the Pathogen, where a looted model has a basic stat block regardless of what it used to be, with addition of a diverse selection of "this for that" hard points / upgrades.  The trick would be in balancing them out as useful and helpful, but not outright better selections than actual marauder vessels, just cheaper toys that have niche functions.

Yeah... I could see that. And the "this for that" could be clearly designed to let you emulate the ships of other factions (for example: fore weapons become fore fixed kinetic weapons, but gain +1'' TL to represent how this looted cruiser is originally a Dindrenzi ship, or some other disadvantage in return for port/starboard weapons becoming scatter weapons representing a Sorylian ship). Of course, these systems aren't as powerful as they are in ships of the original faction because they've been damaged and rebuilt and/or being run by crews that aren't necessarily entirely sure how they work. That would be neat, and a lot easier to balance!

In a way that's the way the Corsairs were built--all the different hardpoint options are meant to represent "looting" different ships.  The difference from the old Marauder rules is only the Corsairs are built that way.

And that's another way (maybe not for all cases) to simulate looted models by using corsair stat blocks with other models.  These three Hermes models are using the Brigand stats, or these Enforcers are using Outlaw/Cutthroat stats.

But they don't exactly do this, because there's no way to emulate the ships of other nations, which is part of the fun of looting their ships... though I do see what you mean.

I agree which is why I liked this:

Yeah... I could see that. And the "this for that" could be clearly designed to let you emulate the ships of other factions (for example: fore weapons become fore fixed kinetic weapons, but gain +1'' TL to represent how this looted cruiser is originally a Dindrenzi ship, or some other disadvantage in return for port/starboard weapons becoming scatter weapons representing a Sorylian ship). Of course, these systems aren't as powerful as they are in ships of the original faction because they've been damaged and rebuilt and/or being run by crews that aren't necessarily entirely sure how they work. That would be neat, and a lot easier to balance!

I'm working on a murdered out and looted Hawker Excelsior to act as my Marauder's battlecarrier and flagship.  Depending on what the new model looks like (when it gets released) I may just forego it entirely and use my conversion.  Just gotta figure out how to get the skull to sit on the bow of the ship without looking dumb for the jolly roger and I'll start posting more work in progress pictures of it.  So yeah... I would love some looted ship rules.  Or just some sweet looking conversions if people feel like posting them.

And that's another way (maybe not for all cases) to simulate looted models by using corsair stat blocks with other models.  These three Hermes models are using the Brigand stats, or these Enforcers are using Outlaw/Cutthroat stats.

Good point, I hadn't thought of looking at it that way.  Not as many "options" as I would like, I much preferred the original rules but I can go with this.