Seedious

Another skydrop question

Quick query, when measuring distance from the marker is it centre of the base or anywhere as long as part of the units base touches the distance rolled?
Just curious because there was a few times last game when if it was centre of the base a spire would have passed over a lot of units and potentially off the board.

However they argued it didn't state anywhere in the rules that it had to be centre of the base despite examples showing that the measurement was the middle of the base.

Can we can get an official Spartan response so I can actually refer to it in the event of this happening again?

Since nothing actually states it in the rules, my opponents that sky drop would prefer the RAW option rather than lose 8 drones or 4 nyx, etc.

Can we can get an official Spartan response so I can actually refer to it in the event of this happening again?

Since nothing actually states it in the rules, my opponents that sky drop would prefer the RAW option rather than lose 8 drones or 4 nyx, etc.

How are you doing it? I didn't quite understand your original post...

What he's saying is, after rolling direction and distance;

Measure from any point of the skydrop token

Place any part of the skydropping base in contact with the end of the tape measure, rather than the centre, so you can get half a bases wiggle room in any direction. 

Green is where it should go, red are where it *could* be placed, if not placed with its centre on the exact drop point. 

iF7uJIH.jpg

How are you doing it? I didn't quite understand your original post...

They would measure from the back of the marker (which basically takes off an inch) and deploy the spire on the tip of the base to give it an inch gap between my units. If it was measured to the centre of the base from the actual centre of the dial it would have made it go over my units and potentially off the board.

Unless your opponents are placing their markers WAY too close to the table edge, not zeroing, or you are playing on one hell of a dense board they shouldn't scatter off. Scattering off table is SUPER RARE in Planetfall unless the player is a complete idjit.

Since the rule is not 'spelled out' super well I typically recommend making a judgement before starting the game, can't agree? Roll off.

On my prefered setup "AKA how I demo" (I do tell them the rule is a wee bit ambiguous.) is to measure as if the dropped element is disembarking from the marker. It's just easier to treat it as an already existing easy to understand rule, why create an exception when one doesn't have to exist.

Unless your opponents are placing their markers WAY too close to the table edge, not zeroing, or you are playing on one hell of a dense board they shouldn't scatter off. Scattering off table is SUPER RARE in Planetfall unless the player is a complete idjit.

It would have scattered off just in the case, it is really rare but the positioning of my units would have made it deviate off the board.

Regardless, in any other event where the unit would land like that I would still prefer it to pass over and potentially die from CQB.

Unfortunately I don't think a judgement call or roll off will work in my case as the rules don't actually state anything.

Myself and my play group play in a bit of a live to win mentality. So Raw is law unless officially stated otherwise.

Ah, WAACos. Well best I can say is all other measurements are typically done from the closest edge, so measuring from the back of the marker is BS compared to the rest of the rulebook. The point of measuring on the incoming model is pretty debatable as though the deviation is referred to as a movement it's not a movement action. Derek will likely need to clear that up.

FYI roll off IS stated in the book (pg30), it is a recommendation not a steadfast rule though. Between your group even when RAW is Law you'll need to determine how it is played irregardless of the ambiguity of the rule. It needs either pre determined so it is played exactly the same time every game or rolled off before the game, really your only two choices till it gets cleared up. 

Ah, WAACos. Well best I can say is all other measurements are typically done from the closest edge, so measuring from the back of the marker is BS compared to the rest of the rulebook. The point of measuring on the incoming model is pretty debatable as though the deviation is referred to as a movement it's not a movement action. Derek will likely need to clear that up.

FYI roll off IS stated in the book (pg30), it is a recommendation not a steadfast rule though. Between your group even when RAW is Law you'll need to determine how it is played irregardless of the ambiguity of the rule. It needs either pre determined so it is played exactly the same time every game or rolled off before the game, really your only two choices till it gets cleared up. 

Had a game the other day against Directorate who had 2 leviathans, took about 8 minutes to move each leviathan as he was measuring movement range + max range on my Tyrs and Baldrs as to never get hit. By the time the game ended he probably had spent about 40 minutes alone just using those 2 models... Lets just say we ran out of time and now imposing time restrictions.

I had my core + 2 armoured vs core + 2 WR + 2 Leviathans, so was out deployed. Both leviathans deployed in far right corner.

When we suspect something is being played as Win at all costs, we play Live to Win by Paul Stanley on our phones to try and discourage it but we have our elements in the group that can't be swayed.

Which is probably a good mix as it makes for a different game depending on the opponent.

It amuses me how sometimes super-RAW players get super creative with rules. They can come up with the wildest stuff, it is really baffling. If the rulebook doesn't say precisely how to do the sky dropping, I just don't understand how that method could be assumed to be the correct one.

I think you might have to institute RAD. Rules As Diagramed/Drawn.

Personally, I'd like that little bit of wiggle room with skydrops, as as it stands, they are pretty freaking random in scatter direction and distance. And the re-roll for Zeroing has helped me a grand total of once (and made things worse or rolled the same every other time :P )

However, we have been playing as the diagram shows, since there doesn't really seem to be a Rule As Written to explain it, and the Intention isn't ever really telegraphed, so Rules As Drawn (I like it :P ) is our current method. Even though this has hurt me a lot in some games...  :unsure:

I can't imagine how people can interpret 2 clear and consistent diagrams on Sky Drop placement as ambiguous and not RAW?  Have they never heard that a picture is worth a thousand words?

The issue is the 2nd diagram is still ambiguous to WAACos.

• The arrow going from the marker?
    • Yeah it comes from the closest side and not the center or opposing side, but that can easily just show the direction of travel. 
  • The Arrow ends near the center of the incoming model?
    • Keyword "NEAR", it's actually off-center. It may only represent the general direction of deviation for the model, not the actual point on the model to be measured to.
  • The image is NOT to scale.
    • A leviathan's base is 100mm square, or about 4" wide and 5.5" diagonally. That 8" line starts really close to the Terran levi and doesn't fully cross the base, in other words to the scale of the image it is only about a 6" line not 8".

Combined those facts make the diagram completely useless to a WAACo as it holds 0 rules value and negates those possibly inferred from the 1st diagram

It usually happens when there is 6-8 in the play group.
Some games are fun, some games make you sit there shaking your head.
Every faction is represented so you get different interpretations of rules that aren't particularly specific depending on the factions being fielded .

The WAAC usually comes out in the big 2v2 or 3v3 battles except for that 1v1 against my Directorate opponent but that was mainly because PP scares him.

Though there will also be the 1 or 2 grudge match every now and again.

As before, can make for some interesting games.

Sorry but I'm very new to PF (still haven't bought in but learning the game/watching/deciding):

I see that ORBATs say x or y unit can only be introduced via Sky Drop but is there anything preventing you from Sky Dropping other units (even all your units?)

Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before---I did search but may have overlooked.

Cheers

Sorry but I'm very new to PF (still haven't bought in but learning the game/watching/deciding):

I see that ORBATs say x or y unit can only be introduced via Sky Drop but is there anything preventing you from Sky Dropping other units (even all your units?)

Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before---I did search but may have overlooked.

Cheers

Only things that have the Sky Drop MAR are allowed to enter play by Sky Drop. Everything else has to be deployed normally, at least until the Reserves rules are used in upcoming scenarios. :)

I believe Reserves will be similar to their other games where 'reserved' units can come on from your own board-edge, or one of the flanks. I can't see them suddenly giving the Sky Drop MAR to stuff that doesn't have it though, as it's a pretty central design pillar for a few of the factions. :P

I ran into the following situation in a game and we couldn't decide what is the answer for the following situation. A Nyx infantry arrived with a drop pod, they were able to move into B2B with a building. However I don't know that they can occupy the building in this activation or not ?