DerKapitan

The Cruel Evolution of Sorylians

So a friend and I were discussing the cruel evolutionary pathway that takes a Sorylian from a functional bipedal lizard to an all knowing, 6 legged battle bull. Here it goes. 

Starting at the start, we've got a young little two legged lizardman. He's learning to walk, he can pick things up, the world is amazing. He starts to grow, he's a young adult. He's playing ball sports with his friends, drinking beers, playing Sorybox 360, and holding his lady lizard's hand as they walk down the beach desert. 

He's an adult now. "Your people need you!" a drill sergeant screams in his face as he gears up for war. He's armored up, given a gun and he's sent off to kill. His dexterous hands and Sorylian like accuracy scatterguns claim an entire squadron of Directorate troops. He kills three of them in hand to hand combat alone. He's a hero! He goes home to much fan fair. Holding his hands high they award him the highest of lizard honors. 

Life is good. 

A few years pass, our war hero has begun to settle down. He's got a new generation of lizards now, the proud offspring of him and his lady lizard. He's relaxed a bit now, enjoying the wonders of lizard parenthood. Picking things up, putting them down, holding things, it's glorious.

Then it begins.. It starts as a bump on his chest. Two of them. The lizard docs say everything is ok, but he can tell by their demeanor they're holding something back. They get bigger, they're huge now! Almost as big as his arms. They're getting in the way, knocking things down. He's also starting to grow uncontrollably. 

His wife leaves him... She's met a younger man with two arms and two legs. He can "hold her like our lizardman used to" she says. He's devastated. 

They're fully grown now, the weight of his new appendages drags him to the ground so he has to walk on all fours like an animal. His existing arms have become stunted, his once dexterous hands becoming little more than feet. He tries to make new friends, he even gets a nose(ish) ring to be cool. It doesn't work. 

He'll never hold a beer again, he'll never catch a ball again. And the worse thing is he's been given enough new knowledge that he knows this. He can't handle it, he's had enough. 

He re-enlists in the military, he's going out doing what he loves. "You can't hold a gun" they tell him, "but we could attach a giant gun platform to your back". Do it he says, he's over it. "We'll cover you in armor plates for protection" they continue. No armor he snaps at them, his steely gaze clearly convening his objective. "a suicide..." they whisper. 

They ship him off. A bunch of disrespectful youth accompany him on their motorcycles, following him everywhere, this is going to be a spectacle. 

The dropship touches down. "This is it" the old Sorylian thinks. The doors open, he charges into the fray, huge mass lumbering forward. His adrenalin is pumping, shots are firing and artillery is screaming. He's alive again! 

It happens so fast the sound needs to catch up. A railgun slug fired from afar, easily pierces his unprotected hide. He drops to the ground, crushing all in front of him. As his mighty heart stops pumping he smiles, he was relevant again for at least a moment. He dies. 

A young Sorylian touches the warm corpse of this old one, this bulwark of knowledge now dead. He wonders to himself if this is his fate as well, driven to suicide. Picking up his gun in his hands he returns to the fray....

to be fair Ulfast - I think the original poster is poking fun at the randomness of the Sorylian Leviathan.

The fluff is basically flawed. I could understand it, if they were gigantic apex predators of Kerender (Or wherever) who were trained for war by the two main Sorylian races.... A bit like a Squiggoth in 40k or any of the Lizardmen beasts of war in Warhammer Fantasy.

The thought of a gigantic Yoda like being imparting his wisdom in the middle of a planetary invasion is flawed. His perspective would be off as well (he wouldn't even feel the infantry weaponry, so why would he be telling his pupils to duck?)

Where did you find in the background that a basic sorylians turns himself into a giant lizard leviathan if he gets to old?

Extreme artistic license! It's somewhere near the back of the Soryible (Geckos 14:26). 

But to echo FragEmAll, it's just intended as a lighthearted synopsis on the thunder lizard. 

to be fair Ulfast - I think the original poster is poking fun at the randomness of the Sorylian Leviathan.

The fluff is basically flawed. I could understand it, if they were gigantic apex predators of Kerender (Or wherever) who were trained for war by the two main Sorylian races.... A bit like a Squiggoth in 40k or any of the Lizardmen beasts of war in Warhammer Fantasy.

The thought of a gigantic Yoda like being imparting his wisdom in the middle of a planetary invasion is flawed. His perspective would be off as well (he wouldn't even feel the infantry weaponry, so why would he be telling his pupils to duck?)

I dunno... I like it. Why not? I can see the evolutionary advantage of having your non-breeding (too old) kin gradually metamorphose into giant engines of destruction. And sure, their perspective is off... and that's why the dudes in the howdah are all trained soldiers that can look after their damn selves!

I dunno... I like it. Why not? I can see the evolutionary advantage of having your non-breeding (too old) kin gradually metamorphose into giant engines of destruction. And sure, their perspective is off... and that's why the dudes in the howdah are all trained soldiers that can look after their damn selves!

I'll tell you right now if all our elderly turned into giant battle beasts there'd be a lot more wars on the planet. As much as I love my dear old 90 year old Nan, if she turned into a giant war machine capable of mounting artillery pieces I'd be sending her straight off to New Zealand to claim it for mighty Australia (I like an easy fight ok). Every aged facility would have "Your Country Needs You!" posters all over. 

Quite appropriate with their Kaiju lore and highest ageing population, Japan would have conquered the world by now 

This is hilarious!

And coming to the discussion at hand, I can stomach the fluff...it just seems a bit similar to the Aquan fluff. Are all alien species a collection of various sub-species in the firestorm galaxy? 
Even so, sure, maybe they have super-sized yodas that serve as walking universities. The issue is that the model does not do justice to the fluff, nor does it make sense in a futuristic war in a faction that is apparently full of scientists. Give the poor guy some armour!

And coming to the discussion at hand, I can stomach the fluff...it just seems a bit similar to the Aquan fluff. Are all alien species a collection of various sub-species in the firestorm galaxy? 

I noticed that. It's a bit weird. I guess the Spartans are into alien subspecies.

Even so, sure, maybe they have super-sized yodas that serve as walking universities. The issue is that the model does not do justice to the fluff, nor does it make sense in a futuristic war in a faction that is apparently full of scientists. Give the poor guy some armour!

Except Aquans are smart enough to keep their elders out of combat zones and deep in the ocean on well-protected home planets :)  No wonder the Sorylians are losing on the Armada Warlog--they keep putting their greatest leaders in position to get shot and killed!

I will admit I was warming to the Sorylian Planetfall models until the Leviathan was revealed. If it was a biped (or centauroid) I'd feel better but I struggle to accept

A) a sentient species without manipulating appendages

B ) that a tactical genius would wade into combat with no armor. Limited maybe; but nothing?

At least for now the Sorylian Leviathan Helix is low on my purchase list.

As for Sorylians having multiple species I'm guessing if your home world has 3 sentient species your going to be pretty accepting of alien life especially if it's similar to you.

I will admit I was warming to the Sorylian Planetfall models until the Leviathan was revealed. If it was a biped (or centauroid) I'd feel better but I struggle to accept

A) a sentient species without manipulating appendages

B ) that a tactical genius would wade into combat with no armor. Limited maybe; but nothing?

A I can get, because the idea seems to be not that they are always sentients without manipulating appendages, but rather that they undergo some kind of metamorphosis in their old age. Also, I think a lot of people overestimate the importance of our manipulating appendages in the development of our intelligence. Most research I've read seems to indicate that it was our social nature that led to our intelligence - basically, everything we do is just repurposing the parts of our brain meant for understanding and manipulating humans and using them to understand and manipulate our fellow humans. In that sense, it's entirely possible that a species without manipulating appendages could easily evolve sentience, so long as they are social.

B is the real problem for me. It does seem kind of weird.

I think the model looks awesome but I can't rectify it with the fluff.

As for the need of manipulating appendages. I am a huge fan of the social animal premise for sentience but as a person who reviews mental development professionally i have to say that while an individual could demonstrate profound intelligence while lacking manipulating appendages the idea of a technologically advanced race developing without them is much harder to accept.

If fluff later clarifies this is a seperate species of ingenious but primitive animals who have been propelled technologically forward by another race who brought them mechanical technology I'll feel much better.