tank0625

*Hawker Digital Camo WIP 6-28 (the good, the bad, the ugly)

I don't think so. You need White Spirit and oil color of your choosing, best if they are from the same company. Then you have to dillute the color with the spirit so it is something like a wash and wash the model. Then let it dry a bit and use paper towel or ear cleaning sticks to clean the areas you want clean. This is how he told me to do it and I can't offer more I am afraid. Either contact him or try to google it - it should be a common technique so you should be able to find better description somewhere.

I don't think so. You need White Spirit and oil color of your choosing, best if they are from the same company. Then you have to dillute the color with the spirit so it is something like a wash and wash the model. Then let it dry a bit and use paper towel or ear cleaning sticks to clean the areas you want clean. This is how he told me to do it and I can't afford more I am afraid. Either contact him or try to google it - it should be a common technique so you should be able to find better description somewhere.

Thanks I will.

One thing I will say is, if you wish to put the hawker logo on your ships still, I wouldn't go with white. Since white is a colour or very close to several colours used in your camo, you want it to stand out imo, to pop and contrast the camoflague scheme you're using. Going with a colour belong to potentially same palette as your camo, whilst you could make out what it is close up, it won't stand out from a distance imo, and might even meld with some of your camoflague colours ruining the shape of the logo.

Edit: Like going with your recent ship model, if you put logo in same place as before, in white, it would just meld with the digital camo white/whitegrey you've used in roughly the same area, and ruin the logo.

I would say white-ish gray or subdued and darker like the metal portions of the ship.  Look at modern uniforms in the field; rank is often sudbued or even straight up black with rare exceptions on field uniforms.  I think the white-ish gray would have a nice futuristic tone to it while still maintaining that modern military field camo look you're going for, Tank.

one of my major goals was to try something new. I do like the look of the light grey Hawker Hawk. But I wanted to take a chance, so I painted it with the Minitaire Ghost colors yellow and golden yellow. The ghost colors are glossy so I need to matte it down. Don't worry if you don't like it. I'm planning on repaint it anyways.

20150504_173930.jpg

20150504_173939.jpg

20150504_173947.jpg

V.S. in white.

20150504_143040_1.jpg

20150504_143019.jpg

20150504_143019_1.jpg

See.. that's what I meant by can't really go with white when in your camo palette you also have very near white colours. It'll just end up ruining the logo and melding with the rest of the camo, which kinda defeats the purpose. As for what colour you go for.. with a palette like that for camo, go with WHATEVER you want mate. Literally ANYTHING can go with greys and whites, it's a rather neutral colour palette. :)

@Franz: Yes, I know a bright or contrasting logo would defeat the purpose of the camo, but this is spaceships good sir, you're not going to be looking out the window to spot a ship, camoflague technically has absolutely zero purpose in the space combat setting like FSA, it's just done to look good. Thus you're allowed to do something like stick a brighter logo on your camo, as it's not looking out the window that will spot you, it's sensors picking you up for miiiiiiiiles away. :)

I personally like it.  Trouble is I'm a former army guy, so the notion of subdued symbols make absolute sense and I just accept it.  Old programming, like habits, dies hard. 

It's the subtle touches like this that make the models feel alive, to me.  As opposed to "Three colors on the model for entry into the tournament."  Not that I'm suggestion anyone was saying that.

And if anyone in person complains about camo in space I'd shrug it off.  It's war paint, then.  Sends a message.  Speaks to a different age when space ships weren't a thing like UK troops in WWI & II from Scotland going into battle in freaking tartans.  Scary...

Camouflage always incorporates a disruptive pattern, so a couple of the above examples above aren't really camouflaged, they are just painted in a colour used for camouflage,and bear some markings...

A couple of those images could get you into trouble btw. , especially the fourth one...

I'm a old Army guy to and that's why started out subdued patch. I was going for older ships from an older day Theme. But I want to try new things.

I just finished my Syndicate tier 1s and to go back to the Hawker ships. I think I'm close with the fleet paint scheme.

More camo paterns.

Not sure about Hawker Hawk symbol. Yes, No, maybe so? (What color?)

I believe I need something to pop out just a little bit. Glow effects?

I found the frigates to be a right pain in the butt for glow.  It doesn't give you anything that stands out as "Hey... put glowy stuff here!"  which is why I made it up on the fly and added glow to the fuselage sides.  Kind of like warp nacelles in Star Trek.

Maybe instead of a big symbol on the bow you could try smaller symbols like the Kurak Alliance symbol on either side of the bow face the side instead of forward onlookers?  

Normally I like some bright details to focus the attention, but in this case it simply doesn't fit with the low visibility scheme.

If I were you I would paint the Hawker logo in black, and then go over it in white, leaving just a small black line along the logo's borders.

On a black play surface with stars, dull or muted colors might not look as good. Sometimes bright colors just work better because of the background.

My very first Dindrenzi ships were painted Vallejo Dark Gray. When I placed them in the black playing surface, I hated them. The next morning, they got a bath in the paint stripper. Switched them to Vallejo London Gray(an homage to Star Wars, A New Hope was filmed on studio sets there{incase you lived under a rock and didn't know, or you are under the age of 20....}). London Gray looked so much better on the table top, stuck with that ever since.

Moral of the story?

Get them on the table and see how they look.

On a black play surface with stars, dull or muted colors might not look as good. Sometimes bright colors just work better because of the background.

I agree. Another thing to consider is camouflage is designed to make an object harder to see and break up it's outline which is exactly what you don't want with a highly detailed miniature.

The times I've done camo on units I always gone with something high contrast - for ex. I had pained some Battletech mechs in a pseudo-German flecktarn that looked great. The combination of a dark green, a bright slightly yellow green and a red brown really popped and didn't make the mini difficult to spot.

tl;dr I like the glowy orange logo.

Looking great.  Camo patterns might not make any sense in space, but it looks cool.  Then again, if you were fighting (or hiding) in a debris field/asteroids and there was interference for sensors (like in every 4th star trek episode) this camo scheme would come in really handy.

I like to think that in the heat of battle bold paint patterns help with visual identification, which is why I paint large stripes on my terran cruisers.  A 300m wide yellow stripe says "cruiser" or "squadron 3"  (or whatever) at 100,000 km when the ship is burning, DRADIS is offline and you have to use optical sighting.

Did you freehand the Hawker logo on the front, or do something else? Either way, it looks great!

Both. I made a stencil of the logo and used my airbrush to paint. The lower leg area is so small I had to freehand that area.