Rocy7

Halo: Fleet Battles - Firestorm Armada - worth to have both?

I like the Halo series , Halo Fleet battles so caught my attention.

I'm interested in how Halo Batles Fleet will be different from the Firestorm Armada .

Leaving aside the question of finding the time / money on both titles what are the differences betwenn them?

In one sentence , how it differs Halo from the Firestorm and why have both ?

I admit that I very interested in playing time and movement system.

It's different, and from my pov definitely worth getting both!

Some more details? Movement systems? Objective? Time of play? From my perpective this will be important.

There will be demos at Salute, so I guess we'll know much more after this weekend!

I count on it ;)

The option to link the space game with the land game planetfall means armada has the edge for me. So I am not doing both.

Halo probably get something as elite commandos land game also.

I'm at Saulte this weekend and have been keen to see how this game develops. So I'll let you know what I can! provifding Spartan give permission to do so.

My speculation is that the movment will be a lot more simple and a lot less clunky thn FSA. I felt like it added a lot of time and complexity to FSA, wich will not be attractive to the 'new blood' taking up tabletop wargaming for the first time. If it streamlines the game in a fair manner (which I'm sure it will) then this sounds good to me.

I am worried about the 'special dice' however, I think this potentially could take away a lot of the flexibility a standard d6 offers. There's a lot of nice mechanics that can be generated with a normal d6, which should still be easy for new players to grasp.

Well movement should be a bit easier with all those ships on the table...with 49 models in the dualbox it would take forever to play a game. So many models would be a grand fleet level game in FSA and that's not a quick game at all.

Halo probably get something as elite commandos land game also.

not sure Spartan would want a 28mm game that would naturally be compared to a computer shoot them up

sounds like a set up for failure

I already pre-ordered.

On the one hand side, I am interested in the engine, that's why I do buy almost any space fleet game.

On the other side, I will use the small ships in FSA as corvettes (aquan and dindrenzi respectively).

Having played a couple of rounds of Halo I would say yes! Different games. and I dont even know much about halo other than seeinf my brother (prolegitman) play it and the odd shoot up with my mates.

Having played FSA, and having been at Salute... it looks well worth having Halo if you already play FSA. I was skeptical before I got there, as was my mate, but Delboy managed to convince us. Importantly it looks balanced and fair, but with much simplified movement compared to FSA. Movement was my main bugbear with FSA due it being so clunky and time consuming, this looks much more streamlined and easier. 

with much simplified movement compared to FSA. Movement was my main bugbear with FSA due it being so clunky and time consuming, this looks much more streamlined and easier.

I feel the same about FSA movement.

What about some scenario, objectives system?

I didn't play,as it was far too busy, but I did have a good chat with Delboy. There are objectives and scenarios, but we didn't speak too much about those.

What was mentioned though was that you can play a 'normal' type game where both oponents have equal points, to keep it fair. But some of the campaign scenarios can be played with one player having a big advantage, guaranteeing that the other will lose... but by how much? So it echoes the fluff of the universe, whilst challenging the player with less stuff to really make it count. It sounds like it could be really fun.

not sure Spartan would want a 28mm game that would naturally be compared to a computer shoot them up

sounds like a set up for failure

I think they're going for something akin to Epic 40K scale than anything like 28mm.

Not a lot of people remember that Halo was actually going to be an RTS like Star Craft and WoW prior to being switched to first person during development. They eventually took Halo back to its long forgotten roots with the fantastic Halo Wars for the XB360. Personally I think what we've seen so far of the minis (being in the 15mm-ish range) is a perfect fit, as it really captures the feel of the big A$$ battles that you'd fight in constantly in the games. Would I like a 28mm skirmish game? Most definitely, I'd kill for a 7in plastic Hunter model. I think a skirmish game is rumored, but i think Spartan is waiting on the success of Fleet Battles to see how far to even take the 15mm game.

Well first and foremost after watching the YouTube videos I think Spartan did a fantastic job of bringing the Halo universe to table top gaming. For anyone thinking about Halo planet fall there were some really, actually stunning resin models of ground based Halo vehicles and miniatures in some of the videos.  They were so good that I think there might be as many sold to fans of the video series as to tabletop gamers if and when they choose this path. 

Me I am more of a FSA build your own stuff kind of gamer but I do wish them well and can only hope this new child does not steal too much of its thunder.   

Already had a few comments in the shop regarding "It's just FSA with Halo ships". It's quite saddening that it IS NOT just a copy but a new engine tweaked from Planetfall. Therefore it actually plays NOTHING like FSA apart from they are both space ships.

It's the same thing that Star Wars Armada has had to deal with. The amount of people I have saying "oh it just looks like X-Wing" is incredible. I guess this is what happens when you release games in the same genre.

I think once Halo is actually released or we have some videos of basic gameplay the naysayers will hopefully die away.

Hopefully the price and amount of content will get people to gravitate to halo.

SWA:$100 for three models and bunch of tokens.

You forgot to mention the included back scratcher  :P

My opinion based on the few facts I have  or I could be completely wrong BUT: 

You really can not knock what FS has done with Star Wars. Both games are great. I do however feel Spartan has the better game play with FSA. I especially like the exploding dice mechanic and depth. I will however admit that it was X-wing that lured me back to tabletop gaming. My initial impression and hope is that Halo too is a slightly simpler game geared to a broader audience.  This also makes good business sense considering the current Halo base. Where Spartan goes from here is the real question.

Do they use this opportunity create a new customer base and continue to develop their established games to meet this need or do they expand Halo as GW did with Warhammer slowly morphing Halo into what FSA would have, could have been. I think once this show starts there will be many new players who will yearn for the more in depth experience, personalized fleets they can create in a more diversified universe and the complex game play mechanics that games such as FSA  currently provide. These will not be easy decisions for Spartan as they have for all intensive purposes, made a deal with the devil here.  I can not see how the sales of Halo will not ultimately be the deciding factor that will drive Spartans decisions regardless of their feeling, posts or the love of their games. MS would not be happy to one day see FSA completing with what Halo could one day become. Keeping them separate right now might be simple but in a few years I think unless Spartan spins off either Halo or FSA  to another completely separate studio it could become impossible. It might be impossible regardless.  Consider the similarities already between the FS and Spartan space games and the actual market. The combined videos of every tabletop game on YouTube might get as many hits in a year as Taylor Swift gets in a day.  Realize too that to survive in gaming and be successful over the long haul you must continue to evolve and following the model GW used is not a bad idea. It is also something I am sure the MS team is closely dissecting. 

Considering this thread  I would say for now the answer is definitely YES. Buy both if Halo is something you enjoy. I can not see how Spartan would not over the next few years not continue to develop FSA even if it were only to blaze a path for Halo. Halo needs to be successful but Spartan I am sure wants to live regardless of this outcome. I do wish them the best and hope that Halo is that super success every business hopes for. I will just ride the big FSA wave I see coming for all its worth in that scenario.  My real question would be why Spartan and MS did not go after GW first. A full frontal attack on the land based WH/FSP style game would have been my first move. Not the harder fight with Disney and FS over the smaller market; but then I always pick off the weaker ships first guarding the sweeter pie.