Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jboothby04

Good Pts Level for Feeling out the rules

What would people say is a good points value for two people who are learning the new system? We were thinking of playing 750pts to start but don't know if that would be so much that it bogs us down or to little to really get a feel for everything.

First off, welcome to Dystopian Legions and the awesome community it has!

1000 is what the rulebook notifies as the best minimum point limit, but you can allows change it to your satisfaction. The best thing you should do when playing the game to start learning is having and officer of a good Tier (regular or even veteran). Take an infantry section, a Elite or Support section, maybe give your Officer a command section and play the game. In 750 points that would work if you only would take Regular troops. Just put in some models you like, make it an equal MVF and go play :D (I assume you guys are known with DL 1.0)

Have fun playing and feel free to ask questions, advice etc here

Kind Regards,

Lorenzo

I'd agree with Projectmanhatten5, 1000 pts is a good size for such a game. You should be able to take about 4 sections (including the Officer) but the game won't take too long: a couple of hours, perhaps.

I actually regularly play 1000 pts. It demands a little discretion with army selection but it makes for a pacey game.

I really feel that 1000 points are a good level to get used to the game. 750 is doable, but I really don't think it does anything other than let you figure out how to roll dice. I've just found that without an elite or support unit the game to me just doesn't produce the tactical choices that provide the 'feel' of the game.

That said, I think that I personally don't think that you get a good "feeling" of the game especially more than just the very basic concept of pooling and rolling dice and taking Morale checks. If that is what you are after for learning the rules then any point levels would be fine.

Kind of following on from this point. What is the best/average points value to play once you are familiar with the rules? After sitting down and writing down a list I got to 2K very quickly and don't really want to start dropping units if I can help it.

Will be trying to introduce the game to my local club next week.

1500-2000 Points is a nice value. You can add an additional section or two-four to your platoon, maybe costumize or upgrade your original platoon with the additional points. This is a good amount to continue when our are familiar.

If you are going to introduce the game to player who are new to Dystopian Legions I would recommend a 1000 points. Then you have an officer, 1 or 2 infantry sections, maybe a veteran/battalion support section but the army is still rather easy to understand and play with. If your ground is not completely new to Dystopian Legions (or have experience with another Spartan Games Table Top) then 1250-1500 will be a good choice. It will add one or two additional section or you can expand a section from the 1000 point list and still have an easy but more fun battle (IMO bigger battles are more fun and more awesome because of the feeling that you are commanding a big war platoon (or multiple platoons), but everyone has another opinion about that ;)

Good luck with the introduction and hopefully you will get more players to join you :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.