Sign in to follow this  
Abakus

Sell me on the Hippasus

I'm coming back to the Penguins after a long break, and I'm really excited to get back into the game and screw with my friends as the Best Nation under the 2.0 rules.

One thing I can't quite wrap my head around, however, is our new Battle Cruiser. I like the idea of a battle cruiser, but I'm not sure what ours is trying to be. 

Does it want to hang back and use its torpedoes and energy turrets, teleporting Plutarchs into enemy mediums to break them?

Does it want to mix it up with broadsides and gunnery, increasing the durability of our drone screens? 

No matter how I imagine using it, I also imagine wasting some of its potential, and that rubs me the wrong way. So please sell me on this awesome model!

I got second place in a resent 1000pt tournament using an aggregate score round robin system.

My fleet was as follows.

Diophantus x 2

Pericles x 1

Hippasus x 1

Thales x 14

Using the Hippasus' teleportation generator I was able to swamp each of my opponents command ship or at least one of his high value ships with borders/point blank gunnery from the corvettes and with the exception of the last eventually prize them. I only got second because in the final round I couldn't prize my opponents Raj Carrier because I got "lucky" and teleported it of the board with a sabotage roll.

There for it gives you a decent medium squad with a teleporter so you can hourglass load with lots of corvettes for boarding and larges the great CoA larges like the Diophantus for laying down the pain with PAs and drones.

That is a brutal list concept....assuming the tourney did not have any mechanism to expose fleet builds with an unbalanced spread of vessel sizes. (Mission cards or otherwise.)

Very powerful for certain competitive tourney rule structures I would imagine, well done!....Though I must admit I would not often plan out a 1000 point list with a single medium vessel myself. (Then again, i would probably not place in said tourney either, as my well balanced force gets its commodore prized by your list!)

That list looks...brutal. Oof.

But it's a very specialized, unbalanced list. How do people use the Hippasus in a more conventional, balanced navy? Or do people just not actually use it that much?

one thing to remember is the Hippasus is closer to being a "Support Cruiser" than it is to a Battlecruiser (The Zeno is actually closer to that role, and comes in squadrons of 1-3)

the Hippasus should be kept back enough that it can shield other vessels with the dilation generator (or block firing lines with time portals) until you are ready to send the smaller vessels in for the assault.

The Hippasus really is more of a support BC but in that role it excels!  It's greatest ability is the Teleport Generator.  You can shield your fleet by halving your opponents dice with good positioning, or you can drop several squads of smalls in their back line to wreck merry havoc :lol: .  Watching a squad of each Thales, Diogenes, and Ottoman Arci get in among a Russian group on turn one was pretty fun.  Unlike most BCs the Hippasus tends to be far more useful the longer it stays out of the thick of the fighting.  The primary weapon on it is the Teleport Gen!

When I first looked at the Hippasus I was not sold either, the more I play with it the more I come to respect it.  As mentioned the teleporting is really useful, not only for the teleporting but also for area denial and the bonus of partially blocking any firing that takes place going through said portals.  I have also found that putting portals in someones way (as much as 4" away from a model can be in the way) is helpful as well.  I will place terrain thinking "that will be a nice bottle neck to close with a portal..." then have the other side of the portal on an island or farther away...

What I will do with Hippassus usually is as follows.

T1 depends on how things shape up, if I teleport its towards the end of the turn to limit reprisals and try to get to the flank or behind their line if its looking like this wont happen then I will snipe with E turrets and torps.

T2 teleport whats left when the time feels right looking to place the portals where I can get  my forces in position and hopefully block some firing lanes.  If everything teleported in T1 then sniping while moving to where I can hopefully get my combat coordinator closer while giving good shots on things.

Rinse repeat wash hands.  Its hard to say "do this with a unit every time" because each game is different and tactics change based on opponents actions and how the dice roll but that is my Standard Operating Procedure so far with this ship.  It helps snipe and teleport from a distance and has done well in sniping a few things late game to complete orders.

Its a good tool in our box.  It does not have the firepower of other nations BC's but its synergy with the rest of the orbat is second to none of the other BC's.

The rules for the tourney were 1000pt, naval core, no tac cards, no Dreadnaughts. Otherwise basic roll for terrain, fleet orders ect.

I got second place in a resent 1000pt tournament using an aggregate score round robin system.

My fleet was as follows.

Diophantus x 2

Pericles x 1

Hippasus x 1

Thales x 14

Using the Hippasus' teleportation generator I was able to swamp each of my opponents command ship or at least one of his high value ships with borders/point blank gunnery from the corvettes and with the exception of the last eventually prize them. I only got second because in the final round I couldn't prize my opponents Raj Carrier because I got "lucky" and teleported it of the board with a sabotage roll.

There for it gives you a decent medium squad with a teleporter so you can hourglass load with lots of corvettes for boarding and larges the great CoA larges like the Diophantus for laying down the pain with PAs and drones.

Hi, I hope this does not count as thread resurrection. 

Im a little confused about the this thread, im here looking for ways to use the Hippasus as I dont seem to be able to make it work for me and in the above posts Tincancaptain says that it was a no dread tourney but his list contains x2 Diophantus?

I was wondering why the Diophantus got moved up to a dread?

Is ours the only dread fleet carrier? 

Also can someone give a good 'guide' to using the teleport generator as everytime I use it i mess it up, and this is putting me off using what sounds like a potentally useful unit.

Many Thanks,

Unfortunately, all they really had to do was switch the PA with the Prometheus and it think everything would have been fine and dandy. Maybe add 10-20 points to the model before upgrades and not getting dreadnought status. For dreadnoughts its no where near the power it should be. it should get at least a 20-30 point reduction from 300, and maybe have a carrier 12 upgrade option for 65. without those theres no point in taking it. rather have an aristotle with a keplar attach for the same points and almost the same drones but more long range fire power.

On the BC the only times I take it is when i know i want to teleport my smalls in to the fray. To me the CoA can't really have a "balanced" force in the way of model classes. Go out with a set strategy. if you are trying to board your enemy a variant of the above list is wonderful (being at the tourney he made 2nd at and lost to him as well) or Eturret or drone spam. Your force list has to go 100% to that strategy or your strategy will be too weak and fail.  

One really good tactic is if you have some land close to set up either close to deployment or in advanced deployment. Either witht hte TDO or Hipp you put your opening on the alnd with just about one 3rd hanging into the water where you know your ships can hit it with ease. Then the exit in open water where you want to go. So if your opponent tries to go through they roll and may get a random direction and have a pretty good chance of landing on the island killing the unit =D. Makes them think twice before coming through.