Sign in to follow this  
DSW

Waiting for artillery?

Hrm.

I am very interested in the Relthozans as a core force, and then maybe branching out into the Dindrenzi force, but it appears neither of them gets any use of artillery. I was hoping for the full panoply of options on the table. 

Is it going to be a long while?

Depends on when the field support units are put out.  We should see the Command vehicles and the artillery designators with those helixes.  Hopefully soon - something besides 'more guns to the face' would be cool, although I expect we'll see them put out everything in the ORBATs first.

We know we have the Recon Helixs coming, hopefully next month fingers crossed, and that will be a third of the Helixs. I'm guessing/hoping every faction will get SOME artillery somewhere, but how much saturation will vary a lot from faction to faction I imagine, like I am gonna guess Sorylians will end up with the most, even if what they have right now is abit small, simply due to their fluff. x)

We know we have the Recon Helixs coming, hopefully next month fingers crossed, and that will be a third of the Helixs. I'm guessing/hoping every faction will get SOME artillery somewhere, but how much saturation will vary a lot from faction to faction I imagine, like I am gonna guess Sorylians will end up with the most, even if what they have right now is abit small, simply due to their fluff. x)

Hopefully, though Spartan right now doesn't have the best track record for Planetfall releases (Leviathans & Febuary anyone?).

I imagine we'll see traditional (and perhaps some non-traditional) Field Artillery by the time we get to the Field Support Helixes.

I don't know, artillery is a potential game changer whenever it is placed on the table. I would really like to see some sort of field artillery with a smaller template than the one from orbital bombardment (at least I think it's orbital).

I don't know, artillery is a potential game changer whenever it is placed on the table. I would really like to see some sort of field artillery with a smaller template than the one from orbital bombardment (at least I think it's orbital).

I think its going to be hard for artillery that has an actual impact to show up on the table itself.  With most heavy support helixes already being able to shoot clean across the short end of the table, anything with longer range is just going to have 'range - yes' on its profile, because it should be able to shoot anywhere.  And really, artillery has no real point actually being anywhere that it can be shot at - planetfall is one of the first games where I've seen artillery strikes being somewhat realistic, in that they are off the board presences.  Now the limited ability to call them in is weird, but hopefully we'll see a lot more artillery nexuses soon with the field support helix.

Indirect fire would be interesting, but would also probably be pretty broken as well.  There's no rules in the book for actual on field artillery, and no MAR for being able to ignore line of sight...  but Spartan can always make changes.  I guess we'll see.  Still looking forward to seeing rules for more of the units and seeing how the game will develop out.  Directorate I think needs some help, and I suspect that a good bit of its power is lying in unreleased helixes.

I Play Dindrenzi, and I really would like artillery. Maybe something like self propelled mortars, while long tube/rocket field artillery is considered off-board, but can be called by designator vehicles.