CuriousGames

Overwatch and Cyverwarfare

Another question ocurred to me that I can't find an answer for.  If there's a unit that is set to Overwatch and I hit them with a Cyberwarfare attack that gives them an Activation Marker, do they lose Overwatch?  I would think that they do, but I couldn't find anything specificly about it.

Has this come up for anyone and how was it handled?

Thanks,

I would say yeah, the overwatch provides a free out of turn activation (though just shooting) which ends in a activation marker... since there is nothing in the book about having more then 1 marker on a unit, id say its safe to bet that once your activated then your just done.

I would take the opposite side. You activate do not move and declare overwatch. Then you end your turn. You should already have at least 1 activation token adding more should not matter. If it did it is an interesting additional tactical choice though.

It makes no difference I think.. as the activation marker I believe for Overwatch is that, say you overwatch turn 1, and then still haven't used it come turn 2, should you choose to use your Overwatch attack during Turn 2, before you activate the unit again, they gain a maker and thus cannot be activated that turn.

I will use this topic, as it has the most appropriate name for my question.

In one of our games, we came in a situation, where an overwatching squadron used its cyber weapons for shooting the moving opponent. The result on the table (pdf p. 117) gained the target suqadron an Activation marker.

Now the question was, is the target squadron done with its activation after getting hit by cyber weapons (and the 6 on the table)?

Had the same issue last week.

I would say it continues its activation normally.

Having an activation marker prevent you to activate a unit, but i can't see anything in the rules that states that an activation marker immediately stops an activation.

Activation marker means that unit cant activate in that turn, so overwatch is not an activation itself, is a out game phase you can do before a normal activation. To gain overwatch you have to sacrifice your previous turn if you cant have the chance to remove that marker with roll then you are losing 2 turns with a single enemy action. My point is you can overwatch normally.

We discussed it and the directorate player used his command helix super power to change the result to disorder markers, as the discussion brought no result.

Seems like this result is wasted on overwatch. 

pg 129

Activated- This Game Marker is used to denote Squadrons that have completed their Activation...

The second that activation marker goes on, your activation ends. If a squadron receives an Activation Marker due to overwatching Cyber Warfare then they have completed their activation. An activation Marker doesn't mean you can't activate, it means you already have. It's painful but it's the way it works.

Ok, i have to confess, i did not read into the rulebook this far.  :) (and i had to use leo.dict to get the meaning of "denote").

This makes sense. And i like it. :D Because its a passage in the rulebook.

Thanks for making this clear Max.

(as a player with a directorate opponent and his command helix i will rage about the player using this combo, but not about the rule...strange, as always, everyone except my army gets the best rules  :blink: )

pg 129

Activated- This Game Marker is used to denote Squadrons that have completed their Activation...

The second that activation marker goes on, your activation ends. If a squadron receives an Activation Marker due to overwatching Cyber Warfare then they have completed their activation. An activation Marker doesn't mean you can't activate, it means you already have. It's painful but it's the way it works.

Hum, I'm not sure I agree with that... The phrase you use is "out of context" here. I would say it only describes the "normal" way activation markers works, not this particular Cyberwarfare case. 

Pretty sure that it is intended (as well as written) that Cyber can prevent / remove Overwatch markers. 

Played plenty of games against Spartan Dereks directorate and he definately goes for it when I go for overwatch.

(he loves and abuses Cyber by the way...)