Kurgan

Recover Resources scenario

Ok, yesterday turned out that some fellow players understand this scenario differently...so.

The problem is this sentence: During the End Phase of a Turn in which a Commander has recovered their THIRD Objective from Debris Field, the game ends

How I understand it is that game ends when one of the commanders recovers his third objective, so he has all three objectives. Some think the game ends when a third objective is recovered, which could mean it ends in turn 2, which is just silly. They argue with the use of "their" because of the common translation of this word and use, they see it as theirs (plural) and not his (singular). Well how the community see this?

We've always played it as if one objective is found, the debris goes to normal and it cannot be captured anymore...

However this looks like it is wrong but the above and would make a lot more sense as to why some of our games ended on Turn 2.

...Some think the game ends when a third objective is recovered, which could mean it ends in turn 2, which is just silly. They argue with the use of "their" because of the common translation of this word and use, they see it as theirs (plural) and not his (singular).

To support what everyone else is saying, "some" are welcome to think that, but they are wrong :)  It's clearly the individual commander being referred to.

This has come up with my group as well, 2 conflicting points, one says when a commander has captured three objectives, then there's no indication that the specific rules for debris fields work differently for both commander's.

During the End Phase of a Turn in which a Commander has recovered their THIRD Objective from Debris Field.

As stated above, the premise of the sentence is regarding a singular entity, i.e. the commander with 3 objectives; so 'their' in this context refers to the commander of undetermined gender rather than 'their' as a group (both commanders). In short, a single player needs to have 3 objectives to fulfill the criteria of the end condition.

For some reason, and it might be because I'm a cynical ba**ard, my immediate reaction to this thread was 'rules lawyers gonna rules lawyer'... 

Anyways, from reading the scenario last night, it seems to be perfectly clear that the end conditions require one player to have claimed their third objective (implying in the process that they claimed their first and second prior to claiming the third) for the game to end and the player with three objectives to win. The other interpretation (that one has to only claim their third objective, without doing anything about the other two...) seems to be either a bit of wishful thinking or rules lawyering. They can't even claim unclear wording in that rule, it's fairly straightforward on reading. 

For some reason, and it might be because I'm a cynical ba**ard, my immediate reaction to this thread was 'rules lawyers gonna rules lawyer'...

Anyways, from reading the scenario last night, it seems to be perfectly clear that the end conditions require one player to have claimed their third objective (implying in the process that they claimed their first and second prior to claiming the third) for the game to end and the player with three objectives to win. The other interpretation (that one has to only claim their third objective, without doing anything about the other two...) seems to be either a bit of wishful thinking or rules lawyering. They can't even claim unclear wording in that rule, it's fairly straightforward on reading.

I personally agree with each side having to capture 3 objectives and believe that's the intent. However, just reading the scenario rules by themselves doesn't take into account the chart where once the 'resource' is captured it defaults to a debris field with the possible implication that your opponent can't capture it. Doesn't mean that all 3 can be captured, just might be 2-1. Again, as you score battle log points the person capturing one could still possibly win if they've destroyed enough units....maybe not likely, but definitely possible. It's got nothing to do with eules lawyering, just there are two different interpretations given the context of the scenario as written and the capturing resource table. I'm going to stick with the 'each side can capture 3' until I'm told that's not the correct interpretation. It makes the game last longer if nothing else!

I basically interpret the scenario as such.

The game ends early if 1 commander successfully collects 3 of the objectives.

Otherwise play the scenario until turn 6, then start checking for end of game.

When the debris field "becomes a normal debris field" neither side can look for objectives in it anymore.

I think that is the correct interpretation Captain Fredric. Three fields that can each produce one objective each, then they become normal fields. That leaves us with a total of three objectives that can be found total, not for each player, and if a player manages to get all three the game ends early.