Sign in to follow this  
Balor

Balor's Yin and Yang Evil Corporations

Those look great, fantastic work! I am very envious, - my WR fleet has one patrol fleet box about 70% painted (all the ships have had the base layers done and drybrushed etc only the detail left to go), and the other patrol fleet box has not even seen a tin of undercoat!

Gotta love the WR, those torpedo cruisers and corvettes are beasts on the tabletop! Sadly my assault carriers always seem to be crewed by failed experiments and rather under perform!

Very cool, I can't wait to see your WR.

It is a little like playing with a sexier version of the space spiders.  You need to use a lot of the avoidance tactics the that Relthoza use and wait for those key moments when to strike.  

I will buy the battle cruisers to paint as I like the renders and play it when I need to play with a handicap.  On the other hand I'm super excited about getting my hands of those wicked evil destroyers whenever they come out.  

Yin and Yang is in reference to Works Raptor and Omnidyne. They are two groups that hate each other but bring different elements to the Directorate.  The Omnidyne is on the painting table now and I thought it would be fun to include both in one thread do to the limited model range. 

Use an old toothbrush or someone's that you don't like.  

You need yellow, blue and white and you will need to water the paint down heavily and dip the toothbrush in the water paint mix.  Run your finger over the bristles to flick the paint onto the bases.  Repeat this work with the different colors but you need to test the spray and spray pattern before targeting the bases.  Then paint black over the bottom of the bases and let dry.   

Well if you have the stem already glued into the the base get some craft paper and hang it between two even points and tape will help.  Gently stab the stem through the top of the paper so that you can paint the bottom of the bases.  

Use an old toothbrush or someone's that you don't like.

You need yellow, blue and white and you will need to water the paint down heavily and dip the toothbrush in the water paint mix. Run your finger over the bristles to flick the paint onto the bases. Repeat this work with the different colors but you need to test the spray and spray pattern before targeting the bases. Then paint black over the bottom of the bases and let dry.

Well if you have the stem already glued into the the base get some craft paper and hang it between two even points and tape will help. Gently stab the stem through the top of the paper so that you can paint the bottom of the bases.

Thanks and great idea!

Did you buy two Dreadnoughts to get the extra battleships, or did you get them from the webstore?

I got a second dread.  I plan on using the second middle section to make some wreckage.  

I'm excited to see how SG redoes this fleet as it currently is very backend heavy with the metal ring.  

I do love me some OmniDyne, very nice.  Question for you, are the SRS tokens OmniDyne SRS?  Or are they of a different faction?  I ask because I haven't seen OSO SRS tokens.  The fleet looks great!

I got a second dread.  I plan on using the second middle section to make some wreckage.  

I'm excited to see how SG redoes this fleet as it currently is very backend heavy with the metal ring.  

I am finding the same thing, so I am probably going to add a third unofficial flight peg to my dread to hold it up. I would like to see the OSO worked on as I struggle at 800 points with having to take either Corsairs or allies with Gunships being only 1 squadron at tier 2 and Battleships being 1 at tier 1.

By the way, I love the glow effects on the fleet, do you use an airbrush to lay down the colour, or is it all by hand.

Balor, what is your experience regarding panels on WR ships? I just finished cleaning my box and can't decide if I should attach them before painting or after. I tried to glue one in place just to test it out and found out that it wouldn't hold very well. Right now I am pretty afraid to do it after painting because I could need more than just a glue to attach them and that could ruin the painjob entirely. I am thinking about using green stuff and glue to attach them and then just hope I can get enough paint under it. What would you suggest?

Here is what I did and it worked really well: I used green stuff without glue to stick the panels to the hull. After the green stuff had hardened, I removed the panels and primed them separately. After painting, I glued them back on, which was easy because now they fit in place.

Balor, what is your experience regarding panels on WR ships? I just finished cleaning my box and can't decide if I should attach them before painting or after. I tried to glue one in place just to test it out and found out that it wouldn't hold very well. Right now I am pretty afraid to do it after painting because I could need more than just a glue to attach them and that could ruin the painjob entirely. I am thinking about using green stuff and glue to attach them and then just hope I can get enough paint under it. What would you suggest?

First off the panels that go on those ships are a pain and this fleet would benefit well from a re-sculpt.  That being said I have seen your painting skills and if you are going to try a wild scheme with a glow coming from the back side of the panels up on to the hull of the ship I would keep them off and go for it.  If you are going to do a basic scheme you can push through the time and frustration to get those panels on now.  

If you are trying for a cool lighting from the panels do a solo test model before you invest to much time.    

Either way WR will offer some unneeded level of modeling annoyance.  I would not recommend then to someone that is struggling on the hobby side or new to modeling.  

Same here, just noticed the old Gunship model is gone from the store and the "Battleship" sides of the Dreadnought are now sold as Gunships...

First off the panels that go on those ships are a pain and this fleet would benefit well from a re-sculpt.  That being said I have seen your painting skills and if you are going to try a wild scheme with a glow coming from the back side of the panels up on to the hull of the ship I would keep them off and go for it.  If you are going to do a basic scheme you can push through the time and frustration to get those panels on now.  

If you are trying for a cool lighting from the panels do a solo test model before you invest to much time.    

Either way WR will offer some unneeded level of modeling annoyance.  I would not recommend then to someone that is struggling on the hobby side or new to modeling.  

Yep, the modelling annoyance almost got me...cleaning the metal panels was pure hell. I don't plan lightning from underneath the panels so I just tried to green stuff it together.

Here is what I did and it worked really well: I used green stuff without glue to stick the panels to the hull. After the green stuff had hardened, I removed the panels and primed them separately. After painting, I glued them back on, which was easy because now they fit in place.

Thanks for the tip. All done, now just have to wait for it to harden.