Sign in to follow this  
AVelie

Nyx (and other) sky drop markers

Basic question: can a nexus designator call down a drop pod and infantry from another helix?

Discussion:

-- FAQ notes on nexus and natural allies implies yes, as natural allies are always a separate helix.

-- pg 64 basic sequence of play states that a commander must complete all activations in a helix before moving to another helix.

So the crux of the issue is a nexus designator calls a drop pod of nyx bought in another helix list. Drop pod hits ground, Nyx swarm out, cqb, shooting...etc.

Is that correct?

Nexus designator does not "call down" reserves. All the nexus designator does is lower the dice. Dropping reserves are their own activation that can happen at any time during the activation of the reserve unit's helix.

Arty however is called down to an artillery spot during the activation of the model with the artillery support MAR.

Yes, Artillery is called down by a Designator, but Sky Drops all it does is lower the dice value for the drop point. To bring in a Sky Drop itself you need to choose to activate the sky drop unit/transport held in reserve and the movement segment of it's activation is arriving via Skydrop. It may then perform CQB and main ordance attacks as normal. The only reason Nyx can disembark and move after a Skydrop is that the Pod is an Assault Vehicle, thus as per the rules once it's activation ends, the Nyx may choose to Immediately begin their activation.

The Nyx also, for whatever reason someone can think of, do not have to disembark immediately. They may choose to not utilise the Assault Vehicle MAR and just sit in the pod and wait to be activated later on. They do not lose/forfeit the chance to activate later in the turn just because they did not want to disembark immediately.

Ok it look me a little to wrap my head around this as it was a little murky in the rule book.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

At first we were thinking this was part of the pre-phase reserves just like FSA.  After reading through it a few more times it seems like this is more like a silent activation while the marker and the unit is not deployed.  As in until you choose to activate the sky-drop token the token is ignored as part of the activation sequence.  The sky-drop deployment is activated and deployed as part of the normal alternating activation sequence but it still needs to be done during the activation of it's given helix.  

Hey, guys. Thought I'd jump on here as you guys reminded me of a question I've had for a few weeks now. I THINK we've been doing this right, but wanted to check with ya'll to see what the general consensus was.

Can you voluntarily hold Sky Dropping units back from one turn to the next? In other words, you don't HAVE to bring them in on turn 1 if you don't want to?

Thanks!

~Craig 

Yes, you can hold them back as long as you like, but do remember what Johntomass said. If you have say a Dindrenzi Core Helix and a Heavy Helix, and after doing all your mandatory activations in the Core Helix you move on to the Heavy Helix, you cannot later in that turn choose to go back to Core Helix and begin to activate and drop the Nyx and their drop pods in. Once you move on from a Helix you are done with that Helix for the turn.

The Nyx also, for whatever reason someone can think of, do not have to disembark immediately. They may choose to not utilise the Assault Vehicle MAR and just sit in the pod and wait to be activated later on. They do not lose/forfeit the chance to activate later in the turn just because they did not want to disembark immediately.

You could hold the Infantry in the pod for another activation in order to out activate your opponent, thus knowing where his anti-infantry units are.

Related question, how much can I skydrop at once? Is it by squadron activation?

For example, say I have a core helix with 4 drop pods of Nyx. So I can only drop a single Damocles pod (squadron size of 1) unload the Nyx etc.and then activation passes to my opponent, correct?

Interesting to note that the Drop Pod and the Nyx are two separate activations. It is the Assault Vehicle MAR that allows you to activate the Nyx embarked just after the Drop Pod's activation.

Also, you're not forced to do it. That sounds strange NOT to activate the Nyx right after the Drop, but sometimes it can be useful to wait. And you can keep the Nyx inside if you want. ;)

The Dindrenzi tend to be starved for Activations, so by waiting you can get your opponent to use another activation, I can think of a few scenarios where this might work, but you wouldn't want to do it with one of your offensive drop pods me thinks, more with one to guard your secondary / primary ready to storm enemy out of it.

In theory they could come down and sit waiting for a turn or two if you so chose.

The Dindrenzi tend to be starved for Activations, so by waiting you can get your opponent to use another activation, I can think of a few scenarios where this might work, but you wouldn't want to do it with one of your offensive drop pods me thinks, more with one to guard your secondary / primary ready to storm enemy out of it.

In theory they could come down and sit waiting for a turn or two if you so chose.

This is why I'm getting a Dindrenzi Recon Helix (or two maybe) drop those turret pods to clear out any nearby enemy before dropping and activating the gunnery Nyx team pod to take an objective.