ToySoldierMick

I'm loving me some Planetfall! (Gauntlet Thrown)

But a lot of is trying to port a ground combat game (and, to be honest, not a really good one) into a space game in ways that won't be interesting or entertaining.

This isn't an attack so much as it is a defense of a different style and type of gaming that EP seems to be suggesting he'd like the game to move away from.

Zak

My friend Zak, in the above quote you were staunchly defending the current Firestorm Armada against possible future morphing into a system you wouldn't enjoy playing, and I appreciate that. Fiercely holding on to what we love is our lot in life.

Zak, you should know how much I value your opinion (before I started pushing Planetfall in my shop I asked your opinion on it first!) However, Zak, I think you're treating Planetfall unfairly. I think it's a great game (definitely much better than "not a really good one"). I love the scoring system (objective scoring each round and unit destruction) and yes, the ease of play. I find the game elegant with solid rewards for tactical maneuvering and sound decision making. I'm VERY much looking forward to a combined campaign system with Firestorm Armada.

I know you've read the rules, but if you could ever be convinced to try the game out, on the tabletop, there's plenty of us at the shop that would enjoy your company. If you can make it on a Wednesday evening, I'd even buy your first round at the Alehouse :)

If after slurred debate, you are still staunch in your aging beliefs, my Dindrenzi will welcome you clearing the path to that planet over there, so we can fall upon it and take it's riches...

sincerely,

This should be in the Planetfall forum.

Yeah so...Mick put this here - for me - because he knew I don't go to the Planetfall forums.  And he damn well knows that if he 'throws the gauntlet' I just can't let it sit there on the ground...

@Everyone else - I'm not a fan of PF but this isn't the place to bash it :P

I know you've read the rules, but if you could ever be convinced to try the game out, on the tabletop, there's plenty of us at the shop that would enjoy your company. If you can make it on a Wednesday evening, I'd even buy your first round at the Alehouse :)

Well if there's beer involved...

I'm busy the next couple of weeks but, just for you :P, I will try and make it down at some point to check it out.  I'll warn ya though - I just finished painting 1400 points of PHR for DZC (I'm loving it!) which leaves me 100 shy of a tourny army and I've built a group of 5 players (so far, we demoed to 2 more last weekend) so I don't know how hog wild I'll go about it even if I do like it.

But, who knows, maybe some of the errata and final rules will persuade me a little. I still rate the PF minis a bit low, especially compared to the competition (my personal preference before some of you get your d6s into a twist ;)), but I can't just let the gauntlet be thrown...

So, not sure when, but I'll check out anything once and Toy Soldier is the best game store in Mass.

Brian K.