Noonproductions

Infantry in small point games.

I have been playing infantry heavy in small point games, and I have been having my butt handed to me on turn one every time from the drones getting wiped out. Has anyone tried an infantry free list?

I am thinking of trying this in 1500 points:

1 Visith 265

2 Salamas 310

6 Namisc 270

1 Varic (Attached to Visith) 85

1 Vardis 300

2 Talamis 260

Total: 1490

Taking and holding objectives will be my biggest problem, but since they are only worth 6 points if my opponent gets all 3 objectives on the first turn, am I better off forgetting the objective game and look towards eliminating his units and going for objectives opportunistically? (This will be against aquans by the way.)

I think it unlikely, if not impossible, that the opponent could grab their Primary objective on the first turn. It would be in your part of the board. Tertiary and Secondary, sure, but not Primary.

If the objective building is on the 8" deployment line and you don't deploy effectively I can tap it turn 1 with my Letos. Think Din are not the only race that can.

More than once I've dropped a Nyx unit on a primary as the last activation of turn 1 then started turn 2 with them in said building. It's doable by Relth and Din, you just have to know what you're doing, have planned it, and not have a bad luck roll.

Edit: BTW one trick to NOT getting hit by this is keeping a "light tank unit" with the rear model hiding and touching the building that is your opponent's primary in Overwatch and NEVER put an infantry unit IN that building vs either Skydrop race. You'll net a TV per turn, the initial deployment will prevent them from getting recon's too close, and the Overwatch will let you get a free potshot (it is on 5+'s but it's better than not) on the dropping unit (shoot the bloody guys getting out NOT the droppod.)

Edited by MaxToreador

i played the list I suggested on an aquan player last night. It was my first time playing aquans and his first time playing the game so we both made some mistakes. Overall, I felt better with the list.

You dislike your infantry because you never get them into buildings!

Once you do that, I'll rue this advice I keep giving you :)

You dislike your infantry because you never get them into buildings!

Once you do that, I'll rue this advice I keep giving you :)

Yeah, Though I really liked the smaller point game without infantry. I also enjoyed playing to a third turn. :)

I would love to play a game on Saturday Mick, if your up for it. 3001 Points?

If the objective building is on the 8" deployment line and you don't deploy effectively I can tap it turn 1 with my Letos. Think Din are not the only race that can.

More than once I've dropped a Nyx unit on a primary as the last activation of turn 1 then started turn 2 with them in said building. It's doable by Relth and Din, you just have to know what you're doing, have planned it, and not have a bad luck roll.

Edit: BTW one trick to NOT getting hit by this is keeping a "light tank unit" with the rear model hiding and touching the building that is your opponent's primary in Overwatch and NEVER put an infantry unit IN that building vs either Skydrop race. You'll net a TV per turn, the initial deployment will prevent them from getting recon's too close, and the Overwatch will let you get a free potshot (it is on 5+'s but it's better than not) on the dropping unit (shoot the bloody guys getting out NOT the droppod.)

Perhaps I was unclear. Yes, some of the super fast Take and Hold equipped light tanks can get that far, but they should be easily dispatched by the opponent's army, and the fact that a player's own Take and Hold units can contest the objective if all else fails. Actually getting TV from the Primary objective on the first turn should be an absolute rarity resulting from comically bad dice or willful allowance of the action.

Nyx are incapable of occupying a Primary objective on Turn 1, but obviously Turn 2 is anyone's guess.

Perhaps I was unclear. Yes, some of the super fast Take and Hold equipped light tanks can get that far, but they should be easily dispatched by the opponent's army, and the fact that a player's own Take and Hold units can contest the objective if all else fails. Actually getting TV from the Primary objective on the first turn should be an absolute rarity resulting from comically bad dice or willful allowance of the action.

Nyx are incapable of occupying a Primary objective on Turn 1, but obviously Turn 2 is anyone's guess.

If they are practically standing on it (BTB) at the end of turn 1 they pretty much control the primary, he said "gets all 3 objectives" not scores. Also it's very possible to claim and score the primary objective turn 1 with Nyx or Drones. Just call a storming action as your CQB, it's why Cyb3rw0lf refuses to enter an objective until ALL my Nyx are planetside. It's all too tempting to put a unit in the tertiary for that one point, DON"T!

If they are practically standing on it (BTB) at the end of turn 1 they pretty much control the primary, he said "gets all 3 objectives" not scores. Also it's very possible to claim and score the primary objective turn 1 with Nyx or Drones. Just call a storming action as your CQB, it's why Cyb3rw0lf refuses to enter an objective until ALL my Nyx are planetside. It's all too tempting to put a unit in the tertiary for that one point, DON"T!

I stand corrected. Nyx can indeed storm into the Primary objective. Though, if the opponent wishes to leave the door open for them, then they must learn to deal with their new houseguests.

And I read "gets all three objectives" as generating TV from them. But like I said, a whole army should be able to vanquish one lone squad of light tanks.

Relthoza infantry are NOT nyx if you try to use them as such they get stomped. I have had great luck using them to hold secondaries or finish off units mid table. I have tried a few times to drop them aggressively and they just give up points. I drop them near my lights to bump the CQB of my lights with the tower. I really like the Relthoza light infantry, but they really are more of a screw driver instead of a hammer.

I have found my self using more and more lights. If the board has a decent amount of terrain their versatility has made them true winners. I was so happy when I saw the lights in the heavy helix.

Yeah, it seems to me that the Relthoza Infantry are best at swarming an area in conjuction with other units, or to hold areas. Nyx excel at assault, but lack in the stamina department. I mean, there is always that one breacher team clown that seems to survive, but that is easy pickings for the nearest Scatter weapon or AntiPersonnel squad.