ckpmax1108

Of Friends and Foes (Ken's Allies and Mercs)

So as my fleets keep growing, creating this thread would help me keep my RC paint blog from being too robust with anything non-RC related. I blame Spartan on what they put into their resins. I just couldn't resist grabbing them!

I'll dump all progress shot of all my Alliance and Mercenary fleets in here, and your welcome to leave any comments, criticisms, or suggestions.

As of now my Non-core fleets are:

Honourary Eclipse Company: Aerial and Support Battlegroups

Royal & Free Australians: Naval Battlegroup

Polish-Lithuanian Commnwealth: Naval & Aerial Battlegroup (Waiting for delivery)

So to start things off, what I started with the Aussies

Australians are cool! They have awesome assault crafts in their Crocodiles, a 2-in-1 fleet approach with their dual stated/purposed fleets between the 2 Aussie flavours, they bolster RC boarding :P, and one of the most fluffiest commodore doctrine in Force Compliance (Just imagine an aussie holding a gun at the helmsman head, forcing him to keep steering the ship...hahaha sooop awesome!)

One thing that stood out to me when I started building the Bounty/Cerberus, is that it's the first ship I have that has a convertible generator. So, being the resourceful modeler I am, grabbed a bunch of magnets and went to work.

Internal Mode Generator

16700997581_fd13d4c266_c.jpg

External Mode Generator

16079969204_a2b291f0c5_c.jpg

2x1mm disc magnets at the flats walls opposite the sliding platform. There is a pair of round indents in this general area to show "connection points" for the 2 pieces, so naturally I drilled out my magnets holes there. A magnet is placed on the centre track of the deck, to hold the platform in place when open.

16514897790_46799eb969_c.jpg

Same thing done to the sliding platform. 2x1mm magnets on the butting edge, and on the underside of it, roughly 1/4 down the edge. Did my typical 3x2mm magnet for the turret connection, but the platform piece is so thin, that I had to drill through it.

16516167929_7a06f901dc_c.jpg

It works great, and the only gripe I have, is that the 2x1mm magnet is so small that when the Royal Aussie metal turret is placed, the sliding platform falls off when the ship is flipped upside down.

Not really an issue, but I might drill under the ship, under the general area of the circular grill-thing on the deck. Placing a magnet there to conduct the turret magnet would help it hold up, without ruining the grill itself me thinks.

Will greenstuff the gaps beside the magnets as well. Make it clean and flush. :)

Hope you like it, and it inspires you to magnet everything you have!

So as per the painting plan going forward. I have the following schemes:

(Colors as follows from left to right: BASE, ACCENTS, METALS) 

HEC:

16520297929_0720f72e0e_o.png

Chocoloate brown bases mainly window bays or large wingspans. White on tarps, wing tips, etc. Verdigis-like, greenish tint gold.

PLC:

16520297959_c6b83ea79d_o.png

Burgundy hulls, striped or in-full. Dark Navy Blue/Violet Alternating hull, accent panels. Worn metallics.

Australians:

16499128377_c5143e54d3_o.png

Layered blues to end with light hues. Leather-y browns. Warm, reddish-tinted metals, perhaps a reddish brown silver mix.

I also like the Australians theme.

How did you make the color charts?

I use Palleton for my colour scheming needs: http://paletton.com/#uid=1000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

Pretty handy site, though its main purpose is for website design. A bit fiddly in some aspects, but once you get a hang of it, you'll be making schemes like no one's business!

Improved on the Movable track for the Bounty/Cerberus, by adding magnets from underneath the hull off the ship. This adds extra strength when sliding it unto position, and doesn't fall off when you flip the ship. Plugged in the hole with some greenstuff, which I also used to clean up the small magnets on the edges.

16530953799_cf8fecf293_z.jpg16529502488_a2d8acbeeb_z.jpg16717077515_ba72394fe8_z.jpg16691175526_a3aa7052e6_z.jpg16529501608_ec2f518d10_z.jpg

Also primed them blue :) ...which at this point, I need to stop, since I really need to finish my Russians.

16510292307_5eb4b3da2c_z.jpg

Not a bad way to get the convertible generator done.

The way I did mine was to use a single magnet in the ship's hull (just to the bow of the generator) and part of the lining to a magnetic basing/movement tray kit, trimmed to size, attached to the underside of the hatch.

I am on my phone at the moment, so I can't post an image or a link.

Not a bad way to get the convertible generator done.

The way I did mine was to use a single magnet in the ship's hull (just to the bow of the generator) and part of the lining to a magnetic basing/movement tray kit, trimmed to size, attached to the underside of the hatch.

I am on my phone at the moment, so I can't post an image or a link.

Tried going with that option as well, but I have a huge surplus of magnets at my disposal. Plus I like the cleaner look of magnets when flush to face. Flex-magnet strips add height, unless you shave off part of the resin to make it flush.

My solution to a similar problem (swappable gun deck for the Raj Carrier) was an adaptation of my technique for HEIC turrets.  I took the top of a tin can and used a hole punch on it to get numerous little circles of steel. 

My HEIC hulls have in the center of the turret mounts, and my Raj Carrier on all 4 corners of the Gun Deck's socket on the hull have magnets embedded flush - or just below - the surface.  The Turrets have the circles of steel  glued to the top of the turret mount socket, while the RAJ carrier gundeck has semicircles beneath all 4 corners. This is sufficient to hold on the turrets and decks even when the model is inverted.

So finished my 1250 Russians for my tourney! Woohoo!!!

Got a bit bored, and decided to at least start the Aussie & HEC schemes. These are really rough splashes of paint, and I tried doing something new for each one:

First for the Aussies. I did a wet blend on the main hull areas only and did my basic block painting to the other areas. Teclis blue, wet-blending 50/50 torquoise and white. The metal areas are dark metal + blood red. Other blue areas will be in a blue/grey scheme.

16781415862_bffcbf88d1_z.jpg16756644296_c9376e3eba_z.jpg

For an accent...well...I'll keep that for myself for now.

For the HEC. I did layered washes on silver, as I did it as a base, layered sepia wash, then layered a green wash over that. Re-applied silver as a light pass through the raised areas. Wing tips and tarp will be base white. And the undercarriage/hull portions will be in a chocolate brown.

16782526055_065fb03e64_z.jpg16160216474_3d1aef22d8_z.jpg16575257777_fbeca00f20_z.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

The green effect came out very nice. I wonder what a light dry brush of brass would look like?

Brass would be an interesting effect, but I would use it as both a base and highlight, to pronounce that "this colour is what it was before grime and weather f-ed if up". Using the brass as a highlight would differ the area you painted it on with the base colour.

Though if you use it for weathering...then that would be a different asnswer from me then hehehe

I'll try it on a Hades to see

Brass would be an interesting effect, but I would use it as both a base and highlight, to pronounce that "this colour is what it was before grime and weather f-ed if up". Using the brass as a highlight would differ the area you painted it on with the base colour.

Though if you use it for weathering...then that would be a different asnswer from me then hehehe

I'll try it on a Hades to see

Cool love to see the effect. I could be silly but, I always paint a silver base first and then brass.

;)

Its a plastic cup system developed by (...is it ok to name a different minis company here?) Hawk Wargames. Its their flight widgets. Pop it in the connection holes with some CA glue/some green stuff and BAM, stress-free transportation of skimming/flying models.

Might need to sand down the tip of the flight peg a bit, as it is incredibly snug even if you do that.

Thanks! I'll look into the connectors. 

Cheers,

You're welcome!

So an 850 game is coming up with my slow-grow league, so I need to prep 4 Aerial models for the Polish (As part of the newly added allowable options for the Scenario)

have the following on my table currently, and will post progress pics when I get the chance:

1x Zamiec Sky Fortress

3x Gryf Flame Airships

Dropping the Triglav for the next game though, as I don't understand why the hell that things doesn't have a shield gen. The Triglav has too many detrimental things on it to be a viable piece on the board for Polish. 

Slow, Fuel Reserves, Lack of ANY defensive generator or armour MAR (Flame Retardant is soooooo situational...we only have 1 french and japanese player :P). Lack of CQG MAR, and it has a 50 Strat. Value?

I'm honestly stumped :/