We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

AbidingDude

Clarification on ambush/hidden set up

Hey gang,

I hate asking for clarification when it comes to what feels like semantic flavored stuff, but on pg. 38:

Alternatively, a Commander may choose to reveal one 

of their Markers during the Reserve Phase of the Turn. 

A Squadron revealed this way may activate during the 

current Turn.

is this meant to imply only one model per turn can be revealed voluntarily, or does it fall in the realm of bad phrasing?  It seems to pull the teeth out of ambush (specifically the veydreth, whom I have taken an interest in) if it's the former.

Thanks

Not entirely sure I follow...

Under Hidden set up on page 38 if a squadron Is deployed via hidden set up then one marker represents the whole squadron (with possible extra dummies). So you reveal a whole squadron rather than one model at a time.

Or do you mean one squadron so that in instances where you may have several squadrons in hidden set up you can only reveal one squadron per turn?

Yeah, that's my mistake, I meant one squadron.

The context is I'm trying to point out a veydreth fleet, the setup I'm leaning towards is 3 squads in hidden set up, a shunting bc, and some "oh god, please don't destroy them" smalls that I can't otherwise hide.  Strategy wise I'm just planning on hopefully not losing my smalls in the first turn or two, then revealing when everything is to my advantage.  So ideally I'm not eating shots on my brawler-y fleet the first half of the game (like half of my flgs is dindrenzi),  the problem comes in that wording, which I'm hoping is what it is because the english language is a harsh mistress.  if it really is one squad per turn, then it really seems to gimp my strategy and it's back to the drawing board.

So yeah you can only VOLUNTARILY reveal one of your squadrons a turn (The enemy can reveal extras for you if they come close enough)

So it would take you 3 turns to reveal those 3 squadrons....

So it kinda goes against making a full Ambush list as you end up arriving piecemeal - Unless you wait for them to reveal one adn then immediately reveal another.. (And thats 2 outta 3 in a turn i guess)

If an ambush token us revealed it can act normally after that can't it? I understand it is at full stop but I understood that once it's revealed you can use it on your next activation or did I misread that?

I had assumed you could place hidden assault cruiser and then once it is revealed (and probably shot at) on your next activation you can return fire and hopefully even attempt a boarding assault.

Specifically, you can activate that turn and fire it's weapons, as well as remove the mandatory Full Stop marker. Keep in mind that there will be a squadron within 8 inches of you when you are revealed this way… And some units prefer to reach the board this way.

A full Ambush fleet is like a game of cat and mouse: can you find the units which don't want to be found.

In the Spartan Games office there's a sign that says (I'll paraphrase) "Remember, we make Games".

That's awesome. You'd think people wouldn't need a reminder, with Games being in the company title, but we all know that isn't true.

That said, I know one person who would appreciate the background behind this design decision. Thank you.

We can always house-rule that.  In a game like BFG I think it would be broken because you could move your WHOLE fleet each turn, but in FSA I don't think it would be a problem because you're already paying for that ambush and the enemy does get to shoot at ya.  Anyway, mods have spoken!

I was about to ask for further clarification about acting when revealed, (as the print rulebook states that you may not activate until the following turn if revealed by the enemy) but the new online PDF very plainly states that you can activate as soon as you're revealed, so that might actually help out.  Because you get to place your ambushing ships *after* the enemy deploys their fleet, you could put them right in the path of a weaker enemy squad - a tier 3 or something.  Then when the enemy moves into you, you get a free activation and are unlikely to really take too much damage.

You'd have to bet on failing that command check though.  Perhaps there's finally an advantage to having your admiral off the board? lol

Yeah, I was initially planning on holding my ambush at like halfboard, so lucking out on timing my BB shunt with the ambush would work out in my favor (which would be my argument for all on one turn, there is still a lot of ways it could go wrong).  But if I can turn1 have brawlers in the face of probably dindrenzi (my FLGS logistics), I'll totally try my hand at a line of scrimmage at 40 paces. Forgetting how many times I read through page 38 (you would think I've memorized it), but do you have to stay hidden if you pass the command check, or do you get to chose to stay hidden?  if it's the latter it doesn't matter, just reveal turn 1.

That is a pretty radical change in the mechanic it seems.

I'm sorry if this is offensive....

How is the "ruling" radical?

Alternatively, a Commander may choose to reveal one of their Markers during the Reserve Phase of the Turn. A Squadron revealed this way may activate during the current Turn.

This is so incredibly clear, there is no way to interpret this any other way. It says clearly states "Reveal One".

I guess it might be radical for a game to be FUN. ;)