Darthp00p00

Should Energy Locus replace Crystal Formation?

Prior to the Overseers box, i was somewhat underwhelmed by the FAQ'd Voltaris Crystals and their "iffy" ability to redirect shots... So i was worried a bit when i saw that the aquans get two new ships in FSA with a laser redirect ability. But after reading the MAR, i have to say that i love that Energy Locus SOOOOO much more the the rulse for crystal formation. I really wish that they used that MAR (or one similar) to actually make the crystals somewhat worth the risk of taking to battle.

What do you guys think?

"Wedding ships"... I might have to borrow that phrase...

As for the actual question, I agree in principle, but I'm not sure it could be done without making them a bit too good.

Also, it would probably lead to an increase in points and/or TV, and I'm not sure I want to grant my opponent more free TV...

In FSA, if an Aquan ship hits a Sulis Heavy Cruiser with a beam weapon... The cruiser makes a command check. If it passes, its +2AD to the redirected shot. If it fails, its -2AD from the redirected shot. Regardless if pass or fail, the sulis can redirect the shot up to 20" in any direction. Simple.

In FSA, if an Aquan ship hits a Sulis Heavy Cruiser with a beam weapon... The cruiser makes a command check. If it passes, its +2AD to the redirected shot. If it fails, its -2AD from the redirected shot. Regardless if pass or fail, the sulis can redirect the shot up to 20" in any direction. Simple.

I like it, and it's less convoluted than the current FSP rule ends up being.

Guest Delboy

The Beam Locus and Crystal Formation abilities are completely different for good reasons, centred around Rules, Background and Scale.

Rules - In FStA the application of hits and the generation of these hits are markedly different to FStP.

Linking weapons as opposed to Combining them leads to difficulties in game translation across both games. Just as important is the concept of scale - Space Going Vessels are DIFFERENT to inanimate crystals..... and so we decided to separate the effects into Micro and Macro thinking.

Background and Scale - The games have different approaches to the Crystal Mechanics (brought forward by Planetfall into Armada) because of the differences between the models involved - An object that does not get an activation beyond its deployment which finds itself launched into the battlefield from space SHOULD function differently to a crystal mounted on a mighty space going craft replete with crew and cogitators capable of manipulating focus points......shouldn't it? ;)

On a Micro Level - the crystal is manipulated by its point of origin (the space craft it was launched from) to allow the shots from elements on the battlefield that actually HIT the crystal to be reflected towards a suitable target that the point of origin can see (....from space....!) and conveniently target using the crystal as the reflection point....the shots that DONT HIT the crystal....er..... cant be reflected...because they didn't hit in the first place!! :P

On a Macro Level - the Energy Locus suggests the improved targeting mechanics that you would expect to be present on space-going vessels that must target enemies (and in this case friendly forces) over the vast expanse of space! :) There simply isn't any form of sight targeting in FStA.....everything is fully computed and that takes power!

Both mechanics have their place.

One manipulates a largely two dimensional environment to create tactical options in game as well as providing psychological pressure by threatening flanks and rears of vehicles, the other manipulates ranging through unique space-going vessels as well as providing tactical engagement scope across the vast majority of the offensive weapons in a fleet ..... but BOTH take the scales at which they operate into account for application of game-use and background.

Hope this helps? ;)

Cheers

d

I have to say that until recently i wasnt all that sold on the Crystal formations.

However my last couple of games have changed all of that. 

A perfect example was my Locuta Tank Destroyers, Focussing fire on a Crystal on a hill (took me three drops to get one where I wanted it) which was 36" away, to redicrect fire down the other side of the hill to take out the one remaining Valkyrie that was holding a secondary objective. 

From the 15 shots I fired at the Crystal I generated 18 successes, that was more than enough to kill the tank.

In the following turn I went form 15 shots at a Crystal to 25 successes, which in turn generated 31 successes against the Tyr that I targeted. Admittedly my dice were pretty hot, but even without that, the Crystal really does allow you to do some funky things with line of sight.

More practise is required, and while it is an additional set of dice rolling, the Aquans are pretty light on Activations in my experience so it doesn't really slow up the game too much :-)

When I play with Aquans the crystals are immediately targeted when they land. I hate getting sniped around corners!

Hence why I like having 6 of them to just chain drop them if needed (well 4, then 2)!