Sign in to follow this  
Darthp00p00

March 2015 Releases: Leviathans Incoming!

You can proxy them with card cut-outs labeled "leviathan" with a crayon if you want.  

But having seen what spartan has done in the past with resin at that size,  the leviathans are going to outshine any other model you can put on the table of similar size.  

The Leviathans are indeed going to be guaranteed, if expensive, head turners. The game right now does it's fair share to turn heads, but as soon as someone spies one of those huge things on the table it'll be a case of: step 1, walk over to table; step 2, ask WHAT is THAT? :)

I did get a jolt of sticker shock when the price was revealed, and it might not be easy to convince some people to lay down 55 quid for a mighty robot. But then retailer discounting should soften the blow a bit. Somewhat ironically, it looks like the US might get the better discounts. In particular I'm thinking of Grand Scale Games' 25% discounting of everything Planetfall, which should knock about $22 (or £13) off the price!

I have to say that planetfall is really starting to die for me, due to the delays in releases mis packed boxes and now this huge cost for leviathans.

Whilst I appreciate i don't need to buy one to play the game a single helix costing more than the entry cost into many games I am afraid is yet another nail in the planetfall coffin.

Loving these models, def picking up the Odin to begin with.

I don't really see an issue with the costing of planetfall helixs personally, if anything Iv found them better value than the grim dark forgeworld items bouncing around my meta, but i guess it depends on what you are used to in your group.

@Deep one it's a brand new game, it's going to take a while to get everything launched. And I'm not sure why you are comparing the most expensive helix to an entry level box set. it would be more sensible to compare the core helix to an entry level box. That's like comparing a colossal from PP to a starter pack from infinity. of course the colossal is going to be more expensive. Most non grimdark games have really cheep starter boxes. 

Even at the end of the day, no matter how cheep the entry level is, you still have to pay $300+ to play most miniatures games, even ones with low model counts. 

The Leviathans are indeed going to be guaranteed, if expensive, head turners. The game right now does it's fair share to turn heads, but as soon as someone spies one of those huge things on the table it'll be a case of: step 1, walk over to table; step 2, ask WHAT is THAT? :)

I did get a jolt of sticker shock when the price was revealed, and it might not be easy to convince some people to lay down 55 quid for a mighty robot. But then retailer discounting should soften the blow a bit. Somewhat ironically, it looks like the US might get the better discounts. In particular I'm thinking of Grand Scale Games' 25% discounting of everything Planetfall, which should knock about $22 (or £13) off the price!

We're doing 10% plus cheaper postage...£90 if you buy two together which will get you free P&P and a further discount...on top of that, ask for a Slayer Card and get 5% cashback in store points ;-)

www.slayer-gaming.com

Keep it UK mate!

SHAMELESS PLUG - SPARTAN NEIL SUPPORTS THIS!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think this hobby has ever been inexpensive compared to anything except possibly collecting supercars.  Even when I was taking my first tentative steps into Battletech 30 years ago I was amazed at how pricey it could get quickly.  

It's just that now I'm in my forties with a fairly well-paying job and my wife honestly doesn't care that I still spend time/money on toy soldiers.  

We're doing 10% plus cheaper postage...£90 if you buy two together which will get you free P&P and a further discount...on top of that, ask for a Slayer Card and get 5% cashback in store points ;-)

www.slayer-gaming.com

Keep it UK mate!

SHAMELESS PLUG - SPARTAN NEIL SUPPORTS THIS!

Oh, I wasn't going to buy from them. The customs charges alone would kill the deal, and then postage on top would probably make it more expensive than buying over here!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think this hobby has ever been inexpensive compared to anything except possibly collecting supercars.  Even when I was taking my first tentative steps into Battletech 30 years ago I was amazed at how pricey it could get quickly.  

It's just that now I'm in my forties with a fairly well-paying job and my wife honestly doesn't care that I still spend time/money on toy soldiers.  

I used to play quite a bit of competitive Magic, and wargaming (even 40K) is cheap compared to playing competitive formats in MTG. The cost of cards drove me to stop and I'm glad I did. I still like MTG as a game, but on a strictly casual basis now!

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think this hobby has ever been inexpensive compared to anything except possibly collecting supercars. Even when I was taking my first tentative steps into Battletech 30 years ago I was amazed at how pricey it could get quickly.

Take a look at the equipment needed for a proper photographer, when you add lenses and other toys I am glad I am a gamer.

One of the reason GW lost me was the move to large and expensive models. Hope SG don't mive this way as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, the leviathan are basically the equivalent of the dreadnoughts in FS:A so I doubt we'll get any models bigger than them. The rulebook doesn't have rules for models larger than them, and the scale really doesn't seem like it could support bigger models anyway.

The current aerial and recon helixs are pretty cheep, I can't imagine the command helix has much beyond a command vehicle and some support units and/or infantry, which leaves the assault helix. All in all I can't see any of the future helixs being nearly as expensive as the leviathans.

And as for adding large and expensive models, it really isn't Spartan's M.O. For all their other games they expand them with the addition of new allies and the occasional new model for a main faction. So I would expect to see the range of allied helixs expand more than anything else. 

Heehee, when I see these, I think the following:

10505370_10206537338578692_6493509506830

The Nova Cats called for a Trial of Rejection to get their 'Mech back from Comstar and the Word of Blake.  Seylah.

10292540_10206537338538691_6737127833612

Zion is proud to announce their new cruiser against the machines.  Save the One.

10989134_10206537338618693_1822878984471

Dr. Brackman is pleased to present his new Commander's ACU for the Liberation.  Oh, yes.

Great to see Leviathans finally coming.

I'm really curious for the Sorylian one though too.

Does seem a bit funny though, that the Dindrenzi, who have all hover tanks, get a ground walker leviathan, and the Directorate, who have all ground based tanks, get a hover Leviathan... I kinda wish it was the other way around since I'm going Directorate for their tanks, but love the stompy Leviathans.

Guest Delboy

Oh the Directorate get some 'stompy' no doubt about it!

The Nemesis Battle Robot Assault Helix......where everything is a Terror Weapon!.....or a Cyber Weapon!.....

But that's for another day...... :ph34r:

For now, the Leviathans will definitely shake up some folks :o

Firepower and Durability comes at a cost...but .....its worth it!

d