Sign in to follow this  
Rocy7

Laser pointer for arc of fire

I'd recommend Army Painters Target lock... I have a similar home-made that works really well.

The difference between it and a regular pointer is that it projects a line, rather than a dot.

I have one of these also. The line projection is incredibly handy Vs a laser pointer dot.

I just wish the manufacturers of those used their god-damned brains one of those times, and produced a version which you could click on and off, instead of having to constantly keep pressure on the button to make it project. Building tool laser levels can do that, why not your "handy" game accessories? One-click on/off buttons do exist, you know? It's a seemingly small inconvinience which enrages me out of all proportion for some reason. Are there any laser pointers/lines like that out there? Because I haven't seen one yet.

I have one of these also. The line projection is incredibly handy Vs a laser pointer dot.

Same here. I invested ~10€ for both the pointer and the line projector and I haven't regretted it so far.

In my opinion standard laser pointers aren't well suited for wargaming purposes.

So I cobbled together something myself ;)

Laserpointer%201_zps3baironh.jpg

Laserpointer%202_zps1gugleq8.jpg

Laserpointer%203_zpswaok17lw.jpg

It's a 5mw focusable laser module (red) connected to a 3-AA battery holder.

The big advantages are that it uses commonly available rechargeable batteries instead of the expensive button cells most small laser pointers use, and that you can, due to its very small size, maneuver it in almost everywhere.

Oh, and at less than ten Euros for the parts (rechargeable batteries excluded) it was dirt cheap to boot ;)

Check the laser-line tools against something first.  One of our Firestorm group bought one at a hardware store, but the beam is barely visible against the black and dark-blue star-field mats/covers we have. 

The Army Painter laser line tool shows up highly visible on any color surface.  They're so popular locally that every game store that carries them sells out the same day they get them in. (sometimes in a matter of hours!)

The army painter laser is great - but take it out of the package and test it out before you leave. My first one had a lose connection in it and the laser would flicker, go weak, disappear, come back super strong, etc...

The second one has worked great - been using it lots.

Here's a pic from one of my battle reports with the laser in use : https://www.flickr.com/photos/126632382@N05/15884017141/in/set-72157649420018176

You should ALWAYS be extremely careful with ALL laser pointers…

Why?

Because you never know how accurate its power rating is, and you also don’t know how tight the actual focusing is.

Laser pointers are tools, not toys.

Army Painter uses a class 3 laser (dangerous for your eyes), so should be handled with more than the usual amount of caution, especially in an environment with somewhat reflective model bases and maybe glasses of water standing around. You can get the laser beam into somebody's eye without even directly pointing the thing at him. These strong laser pointers are not allowed for sale in Germany (and, afaik, most of Europe). That's why Army Painter now (also?) has weaker class 1 or class 2 laser pointers (<1mW) for the European market. I don't now how strong the actual difference is on the tabletop.

For those in the states, Harbor Freight has a nice laser line tool that is with the circular saw stuff as it is meant to be mounted on a circular saw to make strait cuts.

its like 5 bucks and works awesome.

For those in the states, Harbor Freight has a nice laser line tool that is with the circular saw stuff as it is meant to be mounted on a circular saw to make strait cuts.

its like 5 bucks and works awesome.

Yep,l  pick up one of these almost every time I go there!

http://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Ah good ol harbor freight, all the tools you could want for 20 bucks, and replacements for them a week later for another 20 :/

Cheap tools; a first step to a bodged job, and the closest first aid unit… :lol: