Sign in to follow this  
Mightydonk

Undercoating

Righty, a question about prepping my models and undercoating.

I've had a slightly irksome issue with my new resin models in that paints will not stick to it, not even the undercoat paints.  They just run off in places as though the model were waxed.  And once the paint has dried, it has an annoying habit of rubbing off in flakes.  Even a dry paint brush can strip it off.

So, how do I stop this happening, do I need to wash the models first or something?

Righty, a question about prepping my models and undercoating.

I've had a slightly irksome issue with my new resin models in that paints will not stick to it, not even the undercoat paints.  They just run off in places as though the model were waxed.  And once the paint has dried, it has an annoying habit of rubbing off in flakes.  Even a dry paint brush can strip it off.

So, how do I stop this happening, do I need to wash the models first or something?

All resin models will have a layer of mould release agent on them, otherwise they don't come out of the mould.

You do indeed need to wash them. The most common way is warm water with a decent amount of normal washing up liquid.  Leave them to soak for a while- I do so overnight- and then scrub with a tooth brush. 

Rinse well, leave to dry, and then you shouldn't have any problems with flaking paint.

If you have a particularly irksome model (with regards being greasy) another technique is to immerse the model in talcum powder (preferably unscented) in a suitable sized (sealed) airtight container and leave it for a day or two.  The talc draws the grease out.  

Then wash it in warm water with some washing up detergent as normal.  An old tooth brush can be useful for this for getting in awkward places and generally scrubbing the surface.  But don't be over zealous as you could damage the model with the toothbrush head.  Like cleaning your teeth, gentle strokes.  ;)

I have so far not experienced this issue with Spartans models, but perhaps I've been just lucky so far?