ElectricPaladin

A Sorylian Tactical Analysis

You really want two Hukkas, to get enough AD out of them, so two core helix boxes are mandatory imho.

Drakere already wrote about the brawly aspects, I completely agree with him. I think, that against Relthoza, the ranged game works better with the current Sorylian helixes, than the brawly game. As soon as you enter medium ranges, Relthoza will begin to give you hell. To make that even worse, they have some decent firepower at longer ranges – so while you are closing, Relthoza can play the long ranged game with you. Even if your Borkas reach their sweet 10“ spot unharmed (Borkas: 24 AD, rerolling 1s, 390 points), their firepower will be only slightly better than the Relthoza Salamas (Salamas: 22 AD, 310 points). With the rerolls its about 28 AD versus 22 AD, but considering the losses you will have suffered, those numbers are pure theory...

On the other hand, at the 40“ mark, you can dish out more damage than the spiders and probably wreck his Leviathan at turn 1 (they can´t hide so well...). I did not test the list below yet, but I can imagine, that it might work pretty well – with 3 helixes, you should be able to react to your opponents deployment, to get into good positions:

Core helix:

1 x 2 Hukka: 480 (long range)

1 x 3 Borka: 390 (overwatch near skydrop marker or assisting the claims)

1 x 5 Kakun: 250 (overwatch near skydrop marker or claiming)

1 x 5 Mulkats: 175 (counter force near in Borvak or claiming)

1 x 1 Borvak: 120 (overwatch near skydrop marker or claiming)

1 x 3 Mulkats: 105 (sitting in tertiary objective on overwatch with gunteams)

heavy helix:

1 x 1 Hukvoka: 300 (long range)

1 x 3 Sorka: 420 (long range)

heavy helix:

1 x 1 Hukvoka: 300 (long range)

1 x 3 Sorka: 420 (long range)

total: 2960 points – if you dare using proxies, I would give the small unit of Mulkats 3 gun teams and the big unit 1 sweeper.

So I'm guessing I first neec to invest in a full core for a full Hukka squadron. My oponent is considering to go full core with an additional helix, might be leviathan, but its starting to look like a recon or heavy helix.

A full core is all I can afford right now for planetfall so i think that will be the best investment. Alternative is a half core with a heavy helix.

The full core is best for most of the factions, but for Sorylians I'd actually go with the heavy helix first. The long range fire power is just too important. Also, be careful about putting infantry into you're tertiary, you're just asking for a drone tower assault (or multiple).

There are a couple of folks selling Sorylians on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/702386459838081?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_activity&actorid=1831294776

and bartertown http://www.bartertown.com/trading/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=256883

At small points values I'm not that worried about the objectives. I'll try to hold the tertiary with a unit of lights and try to contest the secondary, but it's really hard for Sorylians to get to the primary. Also, I'd never put infantry in an objective building while the Relthoza still have towers to drop (the free access to the objective for the Jabri is a boost I don't need to give my opponent).

With the single Huk'Ka I'd use it as an APC for the heavy infantry. That way you're not giving up a lot of fire power and the heavies can get to the center quickly. Basically think maximum aggression along with the Bor'kas and hover bikes to take attention away from your long range helix.

Here are some tactical thoughts I have been having:

Bor'ka: Pretty much my favorite unit. Recon move to jump them forward, scatter guns (no problem killing enemy take and hold units), and are pretty much the optimal unit for Saturation Fire. my second core box is arriving shortly and I plan on two squads of these to camp the center objective and clearing out any one who comes near.

Huk'ka: our HQ walker. Two of these put out tons of hurt. 18 long range terror guns. 18 in effective range with short range scatter guns. Advancing them isn't such a bad idea. You can still get one turn of your long range cannon but their close range scatters are awesome too and they can transport squads of heavy infantry to the center objective.

Mul'Kat: our light infantry. 3 of them with 3 gun teams is a cheap way to hold out base objective. Sticking them at home base in our objective and over-watching them helps against drop infantry. From my reading of the rules, they would be able to withhold fire when the pod drops and then fire are the exiting infantry.

Kul'vok: Anti-infantry weapons and hard target considered, these guys are pretty excellent against enemy infantry but not so great against enemy other squads due to not having hard target. This is why I don't see it as beneficial to run them up the board. This leaves the Huk'ka to transport them and the upcoming recon skiff for them. 20 AD anti-infantry shreds...

Because we have such good anti infantry, I think is is important that we make sure we have done anti heavy stuff. The Huk'ka will help with that but I think a heavy helix or leviathan is needed to deal with enemy big stuff. More later.

Just to chime in, from my understanding that is the correct interpretation of Overwatch function. While on Overwatch whenever an enemy unit end it's movement in LoS and range of a unit on Overwatch, it may choose to shoot them or ignore them and remain on overwatch waiting for a different target.

Hmm, yeah I guess that would work as well. I'm still tempted to just go with a full core and get it iut of the way. Next purchase after the full core would definitely be the heavy helix

So I've started with a full core and a recon helix. Next purchase will definitely be the heavy helix for more long range firepower!

So after the new ORBATS are released, I would like to discuss tactics against Relthoza. I did not play against the new ORBAT yet, just want to share my thoughts.

Whats new for Relthoza:

They have crazy tankhunters from hell with 18 AD at 48“ and 24 AD at 24“. They also went up in points and durability. We should expect two units of them, since they are just so good. This means, that we will have trouble, to outgun those Spiders at long range.

Their medium walkers lost one AD at LR, but now has the option to buy a recon move. Again, we have to expect two of those units, which again will make it difficult to play the long range game with them. We can try to spoil one of their recon moves, if we win the diceroll, but we have to be aware, that at least one of those units will be able to shoot at us by turn 1.

Their new heavy infantry has 25 AD at 10“ combined with a movement of 7“ and a skypod. The good thing is, that their skypod lacks the assault MAR. The bad thing is, that it is quite durable. It will be a gamble to shoot the skypod in order to get that activated marker on the heavy infantry. At least, our Kakun improved, so dealing with all those skydrop drones might become easier.

After all, I think that we might be in big trouble against Relthoza and I just can´t figure out a good tactic against them. Previously, I would have said „make sure, no Spider will hit you at turn 1, while you hit them as hard as you can“ - but that may not work any more. Charging in with a heavy brawl list seems even a worse idea, because those spiders will give us hell at turn one and when we reach our sweet spot, the Spiders AD are also at insane levels. We would even give their heavy walkers the chance to reach their sweet spot too early...

So I went back to the long range idea and tried to figure out, what happened if I just shoot at their tankhunters. After one loss, they lose 50% of their firepower, but 9 AD at 48“ are still enough to hurt my mediums and 12 AD at 24“ will hurt even heavies. So what. What do I need to kill one tank hunter? Right: Our leviathan. He has 18 AD and with focus fire it will score 15 hits against the tank hunters on average dice. Just enough to kill one of them – one less success and our 800 points did just one damage (perhaps our missiles can catch recon moved mediums or some lights). We may also try to make use of our tankhunters and hope for their pinpoint, but thats a gamble. While focussing on the tankunters, we still need a plan against their mediums and their big guys.

While doing this, we have also to prepare for massive skydrop assaults - but with the new Kakun, I´m confident, we can hurt the Spiders a bit. A problem might be the new heavy infantry, because it can stay out of overwatching areas, while throwing their 25 AD at our sidearcs.

So any good ideas to fight Relthoza now?

Discovered an interesting point regarding the use of a single Huk'ka. At a TV of 4 they are the cheapest TV of any command vehicle. This actually makes using it as bait/cover actually useful no matter how shooty your opponents list is, they will have to deploy serious firepower in order to gain 4 TV. And if they dont it can easily be placed to block LOS to more important units. Having to roll disorder checks hurts as always but it does make the single huk'ka more useful than some have thought.

Got some very dark looks from my Dindrenzi opponent when I told him how much it was worth.

Discovered an interesting point regarding the use of a single Huk'ka. At a TV of 4 they are the cheapest TV of any command vehicle. This actually makes using it as bait/cover actually useful no matter how shooty your opponents list is, they will have to deploy serious firepower in order to gain 4 TV. And if they dont it can easily be placed to block LOS to more important units. Having to roll disorder checks hurts as always but it does make the single huk'ka more useful than some have thought.

Got some very dark looks from my Dindrenzi opponent when I told him how much it was worth.

Good point. When filled with some angry dinos, the opponent will have to deal with that thread, while only gaining poor TV. On the other hand, losing your command element might put some serious damage on the rest of your core helix...

I've tried the Huk'Ka APC rush and it does work. You just have to minimize your core to reduce your vulnerability to the morale effects. I just wish the Huk'Ka had independent targeting, then I wouldn't feel like I was wasting half it's firepower with each shot.

I am still bitter about this...  <_<

Had a great game today. 2400 points. I realized that Sorka may be better for 3000+ games but they did pretty well. Took 0 damage. Borka, however, got beat up badly but not until they ran up the entire board edge and massacred Aquan infantry and Terran buggies. Seriously amazing unit. Scatter is fantastic.

I used dual Huk'ka and they did well. They eventually died but they took most of the shooting. Our heavy infantry is pretty great but cannot stand to barrage guns when trying to hold an objective. The Terran core command tank got to an elevated position and pummeled them.

Our apc is surprisingly useful. Their gun on the front is perfect. It turns out, when shipping your infantry to objectives, then enemy tends to be doing the same. After you drop your troops, you can use those 9 shots on them. Their mars are perfect for their job.

I used our jetbikers and a squad of Borka together and it was great. They support each other well, especially both having recon.