Sign in to follow this  
Takxis

4000pts Aquan v Terran

well we had a good game today, over the last few games we have found that a number of thing work better for us to give a balanced and enjoyable time. so i thought i would talk about them here

• we have increased the tracker by 50% so our counts started at 60 for this game. on top of this we have cut the points for holding objectives to roughly half. the reason we did all this is that our first few games were over before turn 2 was finnished and by the end of turn 1 one side was usually so far ahead that the other side had no chance of catching up
  • we have moved to a bigger table, we thought this would allow people to avoid some of those killer long range shots and allow for more tactical manouvering, it worked well with no one able to flatten some units in the first turn.

the result today with all this was a game that went for 5 turns and we finished at Aquans 9 Terrans 32. our table hada small city in the centre and open fields with hills and forrests around the rest

the aquan forces consisted of 2 reduced size core Helixes and 1 allied Sorylian heavy helix

the terrans had 1 full strength core Helix 1 heavy support helix and the Hawker helix

my opponent (who normally plays Dindrenzi) made the mistake of deploying his support helix in front of the city which limited its long range ability. and set the rest up in the fields to the right of the town

the Aquans deployed the Sorylians on the right looking over the fields, with the two other forces starting shelterd by the buildings of the town

the game moved quickly with  my Aquans moving into the town and taking one of the objectives. then sheltering behind the building to take pot shots at the terran heavy helix

the Lizards proceded to long range bombard the advancing terran core units as they tried to cross the open ground on the right

as the game progresses the terran support helix was wiped out by the force coming through the town. and the terran forces crossing the open ground got hammered as did their infantry when it finally arrived in the town.

the game was won when the terrans lost all their support helix as well as the command heavies, transports, inf and half their mediums.

aquan losses amounted to all the lizards who just stood there and took it, some of the inf and one heavy and a couple of mediums.

observations

• those shields and shield tanks are nasty, i fired 4 times at a damaged medium tank once getting 18 hits but his shield rolls (8!!) saved him each time.
  • even though his hawker planes did do considerable damage end game fear of AA kept them right at the back for most of it.
  • terrans are sloooooow, and need to use things to cover their advance or they are stuffed
  • dont get into CQB with anything as Aquans (unless the others are worse than you, not going to happen to often)

a good game with lots of opportunity to move tactically and manouver

Do you think you might have overcorrected given your inability to reach Zero Hour and the lopsided end score?  

Would the score been closer or even more lopsided if you didn't change the value of Objectives?

I ask because the factions are balanced over the current scoring rules and you have pushed the game away from Objective scoring, which probably hurt the Terrans more then the Aquans.

Yea terrans need to play the objectives they are to slow to go and try and hunt down aquans as I have found out in my games so far. Also with the zero hour your supost to add both sides points and that how u determine zero hour so if both sides had 4000 pts then it would be 8000 points to determine zero hour. That how we have been doing it and we usually get through it in 5-6 turns with full points from objectiveS and heavy casualties on both sides :P. But good read

the score was lopsided because he admitted he deployed wrong and didnt use them to their strengths. if we had played one more turn i would have hit zero but he would have been about 20 as his air units were beggining to do some hurt. the benifit of the increased zero tracker plus reduced objective score, was that he had more turns to try and recover. for the first turn or two it was all my way. as to making the objectives to little scoring i dont think it was a problem the reason i was doing so well was i held one of the middle objectives for 4 turns which gave me a lot of points.

I get the increase but with the points u guys player u should have had a zero hour of 80 not 60 lol so u had 20 more points to work with. Cause the zero hour it both sides points put together so it would have been 8000 points for the zero hour tracker and I believe that's 80 for it

i looked at the rules and its not clear how they word it. to me it reads that 4000 points a side is a zero of 40 not the combined total of both sides. i added the TV of all the Aquan units and it came to 59 so i thought that was pretty good. the starter box's scenario book has zero point of 15 for a half helix force game and our experience is that by turn 2 we had already hit 0. this happened in all the games we were playing from the book and other straight up points games so we started to play with adjusting things to give us longer games and games were either side had a chance of fighting back from behind as well. is working for us atm.

what makes more sense: Playing at 40 points with 1-2 turns untill game is over or playing at 80 with no need to modify objective value thus no imbalancing terrans and 5-6 nice turns of a good game.

To me it's clear. But I do remember rulebook mention that you can adjust values as you want, so you can do what you want.

@Shifty, the ZHT starts at your MFV/100, Derek has clarified this in another thread.

@Allegro, a bigger board and less points for objectives really skews the game in favor of the Aquans. A bigger board or less points is fine respectively, together however is not.

I recently watched a BR by Die Grüne Horde, the game went exceptionally quick (2 Turns), but Planetfall isn't like 40k/Warmahordes in that you get to turn 5/6; it's fast, furious, and unforgiving of mistakes.

what makes more sense: Playing at 40 points with 1-2 turns untill game is over or playing at 80 with no need to modify objective value thus no imbalancing terrans and 5-6 nice turns of a good game.

To me it's clear. But I do remember rulebook mention that you can adjust values as you want, so you can do what you want.

The game has been made to play with loads of units, that  is why is so fast to play if you play with few units

In my oppinion, I think an average game should include either:  4 naked core helixes per side (maybe in a 2v2 player game) or 2 full core helixes with several attached non-core helixes (per side)