Sign in to follow this  
S.Linde

Adepticon 2015 Schaumburg Prime Offensive Primer Missions!

Hi guys,

Here is a link to the Primer Missions for The first North American Firestorm Armada Championship.  The Schaumburg Prime Offensive at Adepticon 2015.  There are three primer missions to help you practice.  The tournament will be 4 rounds and 4 missions, but these 3 primer missions are formatted just like the 4 we will be using for the tournament

Happy Hunting and Good Luck Admirals.  Let the operation battle simulations commence

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2paDUVlWcTKTGZ2eFRGV3ozcG8/view?usp=sharing

I reviewed the missions, what is the terrain setup besides the 3 debris fields in mission 1?

There is no specific terrain setup for that mission (or the others) other than the position of the three objective debris fields. I would practice with 25% board coverage (including those debris fields).

When will the actual missions be available to everyone to see?

The actual missions will be seen at the convention.  They will be very similar and in line with the primer missions.  Generally speaking deployment zones may differ. Playing these missions will get you well prepared for the tournament

Just a confirmation on the objectives: would I be correct in assuming that they are in addition to battle log rather than replacements to it? Basically, at the end of the game, the +7, +4, and/or +2 are added to the existing battle log numbers, and rankings are calculated from there.

Also, have you considered increasing the battle log maximum beyond +15 since there are an extra 16 points that could be earned?

EDIT: One more edge-case scenario you should probably be prepared for. In Mission #1, what happens if a ship carrying a cargo token is captured by the enemy? If the cargo is not dropped at capture, what if the ship manages to shunt out before it is recaptured or destroyed?

Yes the BL from the objectives is added to your score from the game after it is over.  The winner is then determined.  We did toy with the idea, but we kept it 15 as the BL from the objectives is meant more to effect your overall tournament score and not be used in game. It can't be lost  from loosing ships and such.  We wanted to give players a chance to still score points or possibly pull out a win if they stayed "on mission" as it were even if they were loosing ships like crazy.  In play testing, it also made the margins betters, basically we got less draws.

You still get all the points.  If you manage to get 15 BL in the game and take a couple objectives you still add it in for your final overall score. 

Rolling a lot of 6s seems to be a good meta, IMHO.  :P  Here are some mission questions:

Mission 1:

• the "debris field" in the mission is not the chart is not same as p118.  That's fine, but what happens once the 'cargo' has been acquired, does a roll of 4,5,6 on your chart do nothing?  Or does the chart switch to a standard debris field?  (example: rulebook mission #3)  Oh, I think I understand now that one debris field can produce more than one cargo token, it can keep producing all game long...is that right?
  • what happens if you FSD out with cargo?

Mission 2:

• What does "from both transmitters uncontested" mean as the Tertiary objective?  As I read it, the data cannot be collected if the transmitter is contested regardless, so what does this mean?

The boards will have pre-set terrain.

Can you please give me some sense of what terrain you plan on having for the tourney?

* 25% ?

* 8" spacing?

* what's the type of the terrain, will any terrain type (i.e. p.35) be more or less common, or excluded entirely?

* will 'moving terrain' rules be used?

Can you please give me some sense of what terrain you plan on having for the tourney?

* 25% ?

* 8" spacing?

* what's the type of the terrain, will any terrain type (i.e. p.35) be more or less common, or excluded entirely?

* will 'moving terrain' rules be used?

Generally, we try to play with 25% and 8" spacing, yes.  Moving terrain rules will NOT be used.

Types of terrain that I've seen them making - debris fields, asteroid fields, planetoids, comets, gas clouds.  There are a couple ghost stations floating around the shop, I don't know if they'll make it to Chicago or not.  

Comets? Gravity Wells?

What sizes and shapes do you use for terrain, and why? How do you mark the terrain boundaries? Will any terrain consist of clusters of small terrain separated by a couple inches?

No comets or gravity wells. Terrain boundries are marked and the areas are or various sizes but no bigger than 8 inches.  it is spaced out as the book states. we use black craft foam cutouts to denote the area.  the type of field it is is denoted b 3D markers.  

Did you see my terrain templates?http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/12273-building-an-ops-center-part-2-terrain-templates/#entry232997

It's handy having the rules right there on the terrain. Are you using any edge terrain?

Those templates look great!

This thread has some shots of the stye of terrain and boards we will be using. Obviously, the games will be smaller than this massive one.

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/10371-this-is-happening-12800-point-firestorm-game/page-2

What's your guys' experience with 2.5 hour rounds?  Do games come to a natural conclusion on total destruction/escape, concession or via die roll at turn 6, 7, 8?  Or do they generally end earlier than that based on "time's up"?

In my test games at 900pt these scenarios (like most FSA missions) are taking at least 3 hours to come to a natural end, more like 3.5.  We are playing/rolling/moving as fast as we know how.

What's your guys' experience with 2.5 hour rounds?  Do games come to a natural conclusion on total destruction/escape, concession or via die roll at turn 6, 7, 8?  Or do they generally end earlier than that based on "time's up"?

In my test games at 900pt these scenarios (like most FSA missions) are taking at least 3 hours to come to a natural end, more like 3.5.  We are playing/rolling/moving as fast as we know how.

Typically, in all test events, most of the games have each come to their natural conclusion before time is called. Games are cut short due to time, but they are in the minority,

Wow.  Ok, I've played 30+ games by now, and never seen a game go that quickly.  I have a growing suspicion I'm going to get my ass handed to me at the tournament by the Michigan crew. ;) 

So another questions, please, what is the rules and/or etiquette around moving models at your tournament?  I don't want to misbehave.

I'm asking here (not in the rules forum) cause this is your tournament.

• If you move a model in such a way that you cannot fit are you allowed to "take it back"?  Or once you move a single inch, you must continue even if that future movement would force a Proximity Vector situation?
  • A 0" TL model can expend 8" of movement to go in a perfect circle.   Can it just "stay still" and skip movement instead, nearby terrain/mines not withstanding?
  • When a ship's movement takes it over another ship (or a big cluster**** of them) how is it supposed to work with the turning tool?  Do you just pick up your moving ship and "eyeball it" as best you can, hovering over the mass below?
  • Taking out the turning tool for 10 frigates can be super time consuming.  When the 0" TL models move we sometimes just move the first model and then fudge the rest in the squad in the agreement of both players.  Is that permitted?

Thanks much for your patience and understanding of my inquiries.

I don't officially speak for The Management, but I've played there. 

1) I'll defer to the officials on this one.

2) The "hold still by circling" trick only works if you have a clear path to do so. The ship isn't "really" holding still, it's just ending its movement at the same place where it began. If there are mines, asteroid fields, or similar hazards nearby, you have to at the very least declare which side you're circling to so it's clear which hazards you are going to collide with. 

3) That's what I do, and it's never been a problem. I still use the turning template, it's just a few inches above the table surface. 

4) Normally, "fudging it" with models that have an easy path to move is fine. If a frigate is moving an inch or more less than its maximum, isn't having to do any fancy flying to avoid hazards, and doesn't have to do anything tricky to line up an arc, then you're usually fine. I suppose your opponent could always insist that you "do it right", but I've never seen an opponent do so  for a maneuver that is clearly within the model's ability. 

I'm asking here (not in the rules forum) cause this is your tournament.

• If you move a model in such a way that you cannot fit are you allowed to "take it back"?  Or once you move a single inch, you must continue even if that future movement would force a Proximity Vector situation?
  • A 0" TL model can expend 8" of movement to go in a perfect circle.   Can it just "stay still" and skip movement instead, nearby terrain/mines not withstanding?
  • When a ship's movement takes it over another ship (or a big cluster**** of them) how is it supposed to work with the turning tool?  Do you just pick up your moving ship and "eyeball it" as best you can, hovering over the mass below?
  • Taking out the turning tool for 10 frigates can be super time consuming.  When the 0" TL models move we sometimes just move the first model and then fudge the rest in the squad in the agreement of both players.  Is that permitted?
Thanks much for your patience and understanding of my inquiries.
1. Proximity Vectoring only comes into play if you have no other alternative than to move there. If you don't fit, you just retrace your ship's path with the movement template. If there is d-baggery, call a judge.

2. For circling, it is usually fine to declare their movement and just leave them in place. Obviously, if their path would matter for extra stuff like mines or collisions, you'll need to actually move them. And also, your opponent may always have you move them with the template. Typically, this is never an issue. If there is d-baggery, call a judge.

3. We just eyeball it when passing over other ships. Obviously, consult your opponent during the process. If there is d-baggery, call a judge.

4. If both players agree that the movement of the frigates is legit, then it is fine. If either player wants the template used, it will be used. If there is d-baggery, call a judge.

From our experience, Firestorm players are fairly good people and cooperate to make the game move along. The key is to communicate with your opponent during the two or so hours you will be sharing together. Play how you want your opponent to play.

And never feel bad about calling a judge, there will almost always be at least one on patrol during the rounds, with reinforcements just a blood curdling scream away. :)

At my UK tournement we played 800 point patrol fleets and most games comforta

bly finished in 2.5 hours. Im considering bumping up the points this year.

Yeah through research we found that 900 is defiantly the max points that fits in a 2.5 hour round.  I highly encourage upping the points. 900 gets really fun lists. some people opting for max activations, some going for powerhouse tier 1 lists, or in our area the infamous CruzDozer (dindrenzi, ask SpellDuckWrong about it). 900 tourneys are a blast.