ElectricPaladin

Explain To Me the Veydreth

As a brand new Sorylian player, I am dutifully considering adding some Veydreth to my collection. I am gradually coming around on the models, which I initially disliked, but I still don't quite get the rules. It's not that they're bad. It's that I don't understand them.

The trouble is that my first instinct is to call them a medium-ranged harassing fleet. They've got beams on everything but the corvettes and they seem to prefer broadsides. Although beams get a special bonus in RB 1, they are still strongest in RB 2. That means that overall, especially as the fleet starts to take damage, it's going to want to stay at range.

But there are elements that seem to run counter to that analysis. There is the decent AP scores and abundance of boarding assault boosting MARs, like Launch Tubes and Second Assault. That, plus the ability to spam High Energy on those beams, makes me imagine that this is an assault fleet. And there's the fact that these ships are not particularly fast or mobile, unlike the other big beams-only fleet, the Aquans.

So explain it to me - how does this fleet fit together?

I look at them, their stats and think a raiding fleet.  Hit and fade attacks.  Lots of 1" turn limits, the slowest medium is the heavy cruiser at 7" but it can keep pace with the battleship at 7".  Plus you've got the ambush MAR on the destroyers and it's optional several other ships.  I'd also use the corvettes to drop mines everywhere and shape the battle field to your liking.

Just a bunch of random observations from me.

Corvettes: want to be within 16" of two squadrons simultaneously... And ideally, have a full squadron to assault with 10 AP. I can only see this second happening with a Shunt Entry, maybe a flank.

Upgrade them with mines, and they can potentially drop 9AD Mines... Or a few 4-6AD Mines.

Destroyers: while they can hang out from 20"-30" and plink away with 14AD and 8AD Torps and rely on Stealth for protection, they have better damage output if they can do that while in the middle of another squadron. So either they're Destroyers that guard themselves, or they want to use Ambush (2) to guard the midfield flanks and hopefully give someone a bad day.

Assault Cruisers: get them up close as fast as possible, and launch an 18AD Boarding Assault... Twice! If only there was something to remove Crew or other defenses first...

Mines for fun too.

Heavy Cruiser: start on the board and generally be a target. Close with a squadron and tear them up at close-range... RB1 is actually better than RB2 for these guys. Use their Bigger Batteries to shoot down SRS while you're at it to clear the way for assaults.

Gunships: Use Ambush to get up to midfield with other Ambush units... Try to offensively Mine and multi-directional fire when you show up.

Battleship: generally crush your opponent's Medium vessels. Several configurations possible, but it's hard to pass on Double 7AD Mines. Rest of the options depend on what best compliments your fleet.

With Sorylians, I see the Veydreth primarily as an assault force, using Ambush to play mind-games and keep them undamaged until Turn 3 or so, when the Sorylians should already be in their face. Or, use them as reserves to shunt-in/flank.

Raiders generally like to hit distracted targets...

Sample 800 MFV list, using the Sorylian Patrol Box as a base:

(225) Battleship: +1 Shield, +2 Mv, Weapon Shielding

(240) Cruisers:

(125) 5x Frigates: Pack Hunters

(180) 3x Veydreth Assault Cruisers

Use Shunt-Entry and Battlelog with the Veydreth cruisers to hopefully bring them in turn 3, and play the +1 to Assaults TAC at the same time. That's 18 hits on average when they arrive, which can easily capture a Medium, or capture many Large vesseles undamaged or little damage.

Ok, first off they aren't slow, that's spoiled Aquan player speak right there.  :P

Want to feel slow? Push some Terrans around.  :P

They're quite fast, it's only Aquans really that beat them in some areas.

They're as others have said a hit and fade fleet, with flexible open arcs they have great freedom of movement to keep the enemy at bay with avoidance tricks while still laying out the pain.

As for their set-up, it's all about drawing your enemy into position to perform a crippling blow to multiple targets. It's the fact that they have the close range boarding danger and mines in addition to the RB2 weapon focus that allows them to do this. The idealized scenario that Veydreth squadrons should be going for when they fully commit is to:

Squadron of Stalkers activate,

1, they mine something as they zip forward.

2, they get into boarding range of a desirable target(s).

3, they shoot at something else in RB2 with their guns using their open arcs to split the enemy squad to get a broadside and fore into the one squad.

They dive in on prey they softened while skirting and closing, and while they're tearing up the first victims with mines and boarding they are simultaneously softening up the next group over there to continue the process.

So they effectively engage and hopefully hamper/cripple 2 enemy squads in one fell swoop by using their seemingly contradictory set-up to full advantage.

Sample 800 MFV list, using the Sorylian Patrol Box as a base:

(225) Battleship: +1 Shield, +2 Mv, Weapon Shielding

(240) Cruisers:

(125) 5x Frigates: Pack Hunters

(180) 3x Veydreth Assault Cruisers

Use Shunt-Entry and Battlelog with the Veydreth cruisers to hopefully bring them in turn 3, and play the +1 to Assaults TAC at the same time. That's 18 hits on average when they arrive, which can easily capture a Medium, or capture many Large vesseles undamaged or little damage.

I was so blinded by wanting to use the Corvettes in a patrol fleet I overlooked the potential of the cruisers.