I'm having a hard time "reading" the Veydreth ships, and since I've recently started both Sorylians and another highly limited Kurak fleet (Tarakians), I'd really like to like them. From the renders and line art, though, the models just look... lumpy and weird. I can't wrap my head around them. I'm hoping that the folks here can provide:

1. Pictures of Veydreth you painted, especially...
  2. Veydreth models compared to other models, so I can get a sense of scale.

Thanks in advance. Any faction who are nicknamed "star dragons" sounds like one I'd enjoy, but as it stands now I just can't seem two make sense of the models.

This one?

15221_787056121364270_511486277567679814

It's a nice picture, but not very helpful. Bare plastic has a way of making models look bulky and unwieldy, which is particularly pronounced in a model with this much sheer mass. I'm hoping for some pictures with paint on to see what it "really" looks like.

Did you by chance see the unboxing videos that D6damager did?  So far he's done the patrol fleet and the gunship box.

I wish I could say I've seen others out there, but I've been looking for a while and haven't come across any. :(

Did you by chance see the unboxing videos that D6damager did?  So far he's done the patrol fleet and the gunship box.

I wish I could say I've seen others out there, but I've been looking for a while and haven't come across any. :(

I hadn't seen that... I'll go look for it. The thread's here in the Alliance & Marauders section? Or is it over General?

Ok... I'm seeing it. The battleship is a lot less pudgy than it looks. The sides arc in much more sharply than it seems, and although it's massive, it also looks sleek and dangerous. The Veydreth are gradually growing on me... I could see myself adding some of their ships to either my Tarakians or my Sorylians, in time.

Ok... I'm seeing it. The battleship is a lot less pudgy than it looks. The sides arc in much more sharply than it seems, and although it's massive, it also looks sleek and dangerous. The Veydreth are gradually growing on me... I could see myself adding some of their ships to either my Tarakians or my Sorylians, in time.

I'm just in the priming stages of a small Veydreth fleet, and the main concern I'm having is the assault cruisers, which I think I'm going to lower on their flight stands to make them "ride" a little lower, a little "meaner" - making it read a little more barracuda and a little less pufferfish, if you get my drift. 

A semi helpful link:

These are the old destroyers, painted in a pattern based (loosely) off of the Cardassian Galor War Cruiser:

030a_zps5ff3f928.jpg

037_zps6f342966.jpg

Not super helpful but you can still get the old ones if you try.

And now here's a picture of one of the new ships:

ork_kill_krooza_by_glomscient-d52mnm9.jp

Oh wait, silly me, that's a space Ork ship. That's totally different...sorta...if I squint :P

Waaaagggghghh DA VEYDRETH

Zak

(blech, I prefer the old ones ;) )

As you see - Zak vastly prefers the new sculpts :)

I actually prefer the new sculpts. Better detail and look like fun to paint. 

Why you're right - the Ork ships are more credible. ;) I'm glad we're in agreement.

Zak

(Spartan could release a model of a dying Yak and you'd still say you love it :P Admit it!!!! :D)

When is this dying Yak model being released? I must have one for my Sorylians!

There are some models I don't like the look of (Most v1 Aquan releases for example), but I just don't see the point in complaining about them. I'm happy to see the Veydreth look more unified. I did like the old destroyers, but they didn't feel like they fit with the rest of the FSA models.

When is this dying Yak model being released? I must have one for my Sorylians!

There are some models I don't like the look of (Most v1 Aquan releases for example), but I just don't see the point in complaining about them. I'm happy to see the Veydreth look more unified. I did like the old destroyers, but they didn't feel like they fit with the rest of the FSA models.

All jokes aside - the Yak is a May release...

Erm...wait...all jokes aside - if enough people vote (mostly with their wallet, but also in terms of good hearted discussion) then I think it can sway a company to rethink a model line.  Not right now, but long term. For one, I'd like to see a uniform organic looking Aquans patterned after the V1 models (maybe with some new detail). The current releases were "bad" (as in I don't like the art direction they took) enough to make me quit buying new Aquan figures.  I won't stop playing them (I played last Sunday) but I will make an economic vote.

There's a line though between saying "yuk, new model not to my taste" and constantly whining about it. I will point out when some things aren't to my liking I'll make the occasional post/comparison but I don't go on and on and on daily about the glory days of V1 and ..... ahem .... that was someone else's job ;)

Zak

Well, there's no accounting for taste ;)

That's the great thing about the modelling community. Some people love some models and hate others and more will think the reverse. The great thing with redoing a design is that most of the people that wanted the originals have already bought them, while a new model may draw in a new buyer.

Either way it's all good. I'm just happy that Spartan is able to grow their games the way they have since first edition.

I'm split on the new models, pretty much right down the middle. The frigates and destroyers are... ok. A little generic, but not bad. The gunships are rapidly growing on me - I like them a lot better than the old gunships. I still have mixed feelings about the battleship, though. It's definitely a lot better than the initial pictures had suggested, but I don't think I'll really know until I've got it in my hands. The cruisers and heavy cruisers, though, I have a hard time with.

I've got to admit... the heavy cruiser/assault cruiser kit is gradually growing on me. They're a little... rotund, sure, but that makes sense for a space ship. They increasingly look like durable little buggers, zooting around space, deftly maneuvering in three directions as they close in for the kill... I'm kind of seeing it.