CDR_G

Linking Tesla weapons

Well its better later than never to avoid future complications among players, I also think that it was the right thing to do.

I think this is a bit unfair, although there's a point to recognising the confusion. James' ruling resolves around the wording of the Linking different ordnance types. Derek's focuses on the different firing options. In essence, James answered the question asked, Derek analysed the situation as a whole, and offered a new approach to the rules (as written), which to my recollection wasn't considered by the original poster, or any subsequent comments.

I myself am not too surprised that subsequent deliberation throws new light on the situation - to be honest I'd applaud Derek's decision to post on a long-dead topic, but then to each their own.

I agree, better later than never we have to remember that more than one player uses this section as a kind of rules library, so it was the right thing to do.

I am all for updating and changing rules as needed but have some standard when doing so.

I am going to overrule James here.

and under close inspection of the rules it is illegal in my view.....and since I'm in charge....  kinda :rolleyes:...... I am going to make a ruling. ;)

These two lines don't give me any indication that this has actually been discussed by the designers involved.  Works like "kinda" and whatever that emoticon is supposed to mean lead me to believe that James is going to drop in next and say "yeah, no that IS the way we planned it.  No need to change.".

The most obvious reason that Derek overrode James's previous ruling is that something is coming up in the near future that James might not have known about at the time of the ruling.

Remember, this game is supposed to be fun, and while it didn't matter too much for that extra 2 or 3 AD with the Geier, etc. it could get nasty further down the track with the Deathshadow Class Super Sky Dreadnought.

Well, I am happy to see this. I believe linking bombs to other attacks goes against one of the primary mechanics of the game.

Rules are always going to have limits and unintended consequences. As games are played situations appear that reveal synergies previously unexplored. Sometimes that goes too far.

Living rules are living for a reason.

In the new ORBAT there is a note that the bombs can't link with other tessla weapons.

But not all units got this note. Can units without that note link their bombs with other weapons? I hope not, but I don't understand why some units have the note, and others have not.

In the new ORBAT there is a note that the bombs can't link with other tessla weapons.

But not all units got this note. Can units without that note link their bombs with other weapons? I hope not, but I don't understand why some units have the note, and others have not.

Bombs have never been able to link with other weapons, rather the rules for special weapons would have allowed models with tesla bombs to link them with tesla weapons if it were not for the note added about the bombs not being able to link. Units that do not have tesla bombs and tesla weapons don't need this note because it would be added text without any use.

Agreed either the note needs to be with the special rules OR with every model.... becuase as it stands its a bit inconsistant... as shown here:

Imperium - tesla Bomb Bays (x3) with  Fore Tesla & Tesla broadsides

Gewitterwolke - Tesla bomb bays (x3) with Fore Tesla & tesla broadsides

Adler - Speeschleuder bays (x2) with fore tesla and speerschleuder = has notes

pflicht - tesla bomb bays (x1) fore tesla & tesla broadsides

Geier - tesla bomb bay (x1) fore & aft tesla = has note

I'm also amused that the Geier got the note referencing Speerschleuder Bomb Bays, considering it doesn't have Speerschleuder Bomb Bays. By omission, it seems to suggest that Tesla Bomb Bays can do what Speerschleuder Bomb Bays can't (I'm not actually claiming that this is the case). I appreciate that Spartan is trying to clarify something that became a bit of an issue. My local group will continue to play it that bombs are their own thing, even when they shoot lightning. Again, it just amuses me that this note brings up more issues to a RAW vs RAI debate than it settles.

Hey there,

just another Question bout linking. Can a forecoil be linked to a tesla broadside? To me they cant as they do not have a common fire arc. Can someone prrof me right or wrong?

Kind regards

I dont know why you would think they can.....only weapons that share arcs can ever hope to link

A squadron of Pflichts for example.

Depending on facing and position of the target the arc of one or two fore coils could overlap with the arcs of one or two tesla BS. In this case they can link.

In the case of a squadon of Geiers you might even linke fore and rear coils of different fliers of the same squadron. Arminius or Riever squadrons might link tesla BS and aft coils.

As long as it is tesla and the arc overlap it can be linked. The one very exeption are tesla and Speerschleuder bombs.

yes, tesla broadsides can link with fore tesla coils, if you can align the shots together. if the target is big enough, you can also link with the "partial hit"AD of the other tesla weapons on your model.

the only tesla/speerschleuder weapons that cant join in the fun are the bombs, which can only link with other tesla/speerschleuder bombs

A squadron of Pflichts for example.

Depending on facing and position of the target the arc of one or two fore coils could overlap with the arcs of one or two tesla BS. In this case they can link.

In the case of a squadon of Geiers you might even linke fore and rear coils of different fliers of the same squadron. Arminius or Riever squadrons might link tesla BS and aft coils.

As long as it is tesla and the arc overlap it can be linked. The one very exeption are tesla and Speerschleuder bombs.

Yes well thats a given if you have multiple models in a squad ...... however the way ive read the question it seemed like he was refrencing only 1 model. If he wasnt then hes followed the pattern of not reading this very thread which would clearly give him the idea as both weapons in question have TESLA in there name.

Thanks for these quick replies.

What i was refering to is a single model. My question is not can types of weapons link, but can a 90 degree foregun/forecoil whatever link with a broadside, as to me both weapons do not have a common fire arc. 

Cheers :)

Thanks for these quick replies.

What i was refering to is a single model. My question is not can types of weapons link, but can a 90 degree foregun/forecoil whatever link with a broadside, as to me both weapons do not have a common fire arc. 

Cheers :)

Well it can if your ship is standing close enough to the target to cover both angles, for example when a cruiser has managed to get alongside a dreadnaught, you just have to use your templates to see if it works out.

That is exactly my point. Both firearcs dont cross each other and therefore cant create an linked arc. The middle point of a ship is infinite small, so are the arc lines. If arcs do not cross u can't create a common area. Its all about math :(

I can see what is being said....the honest answer is im not sure....in theroy the lines are one and the same....so if you lined up to hit the centre spot then both can shoot the same ship.....it depends on rules as intended vs written does the actual line count or is the parts either side of the line