Big Mac

Big Mac's Battle Report Log

Happy New Year everyone! 

Last year, I posted something close to twenty Battle Reports using a variety of fleets, and it was a lot of fun to play these games and write them up. The plan will stay the same this year, I hope, but instead of flooding the forum with threads I'm going to record everything here instead. Hopefully, it will work well!

The first game of the year and the first Battle Report sees the newly painted Russian Coalition (and some allies) take on the Prussian Empire in the Norwegian Sea. 

The full report with more words and pictures can be found on the blog - http://fullsd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/aar-prussian-empire-versus-russian.html

2wcmmnn.jpg

24lpg09.jpg

1zpqotg.jpg

2u44rqr.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Just for the eye candy - I wouldn't want to mix up all those tokens AND markers as it would probably lead to confusion. 

That said, we have used them to mark who has activated and which ships have been shot when working out who can board etc. 

...and to Presidente, I'm afraid our collection does not include any *actual* Kingdom models... yet! 

My only complaint (and a small one) is the continual ignoring of Advanced Deployment.  The fortifications are the only time it seems to come into play.  Deploying advanced helps the CF get their rampart generators out in front without slowing the rest of the fleet or forcing activation order.  Admittedly the CF player took about half the Bastions they needed for this tactic to really work.

Aye I must agree with veldrain I love advanced deployment it is awesome and those bastions could do with it I think ( no experience with cf but... ;) ) at least then it won't hold up the rest of the fleet :)

Also Mike can rest assured.. He was facing a very tough fleet.. Almost everything was either air or a submarine except the carrier (more flying saw though ;) and the destroyers so overall I think that had him screwed a bit.. He'll get em next time good luck Mike ( I'm a sucker for the underdog;) )

Besides that. Awesomecakes again a nice battle report with lots of comprehensive pictures that show exactly what is going on :) more please :)

Thank you all for the comments! I always consider the opinions and advice people offer for future reports. 

In terms of "legality" we do play the army building a little loose - I wanted to use the Eclipse Company, but as we only have 1,000pts to draw upon I needed them to ally with someone - and the FSA fit the narrative. I don't consider this a problem as I don't think it breaks the game. 

Mike was warned I would use a mostly Aerial force, but unfortunately his collection does not include many flyers at all - something for him to invest in next time! 

The Advanced Deployment rules were largely forgotten- when our group first started Dystopian Wars we tried out the different methods of deployment a lot and some of us had issues deploying too far forward and over-extending their fleets. After that we kinda stopped using them and forgot about them. Mike is a new Chinese Federation player and likes the Bastion tactics a lot though, so it would make sense for him to give it another go! 

Strange how the tactic never occurred to me... even when I was using my Fortifications in Advanced Deployment  :wacko:

Big Mac, great battle reports as always. In the Chinese-FSA engagement, what was that fortification right in the center of the table at the start of the game? It has a circular middle section, and four arms that extend out. Is that from one of Spartan's scenery packs? I didn't recognize it.

Big Mac, great battle reports as always. In the Chinese-FSA engagement, what was that fortification right in the center of the table at the start of the game? It has a circular middle section, and four arms that extend out. Is that from one of Spartan's scenery packs? I didn't recognize it.

It appears to be the center of http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SSDWSC06

A second chance for the Chinese Federation against the Honourable Eclipse Company this week - this time they're bringing the Black Wolf Mercenaries! A proxy war for the Grand Coalition and Imperial Bond. Suffice to say, I think I should invest in some proper Interceptors. 

Here's the full report... http://fullsd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/aar-black-wolf-mercenaries-and-chinese.html

2n1rrpw.jpg

vzbfo7.jpg

2mo2nat.jpg

The battle actually played out as I guessed it would :P did the Elysium do anything more than kill two smalls and a point of damage.... Did the fortification's do anything, all I saw was the gadeiros disappear in fire. Every time ive seen mediums go in advanced deployment it ends badly for them. While the dragon is an impressively cool looking model, its probably too slow to accomplish anything in a naval game. Great report bm, my favourite fleets atm are the eclipse and the cf.