Amave

Painting engines glow with brush?

Hey guys! New captain here!

Did any of you painted engine glow with simple brush? Im just waiting for my patrol fleet box to arrive and thinking of techniques.

If the answer is yes, then can you post some photos of it and a short instruction how you did it? Jus to give some impression.

Is it worthwhile to paint such a large flat surfaces with a brush (I don't own airbrush)? It seems like it will be hard to get smooth bright color on storylian armour.

My friend found a fantastically painted Tarakian frigate with the best engine glow I've seen... Sadly, I couldn't find it on a Google search. It inspired me to completely redo my engine glow.

The main thing is to have very high contrast to achieve a "glow" effect; the second is to do appropriate source lighting on the model.

I'm failing at the first right now. The way to test contrast is to squint your eyes. You should only see whatever is emitting light when you do this. Only the center of my engines do this right now, instead of the entire thing like it should.

I don't have any photos up yet- I'll try for that soon!

I did some glow with a brush. Not as good as an airbrush, but I'm happy with it.

Things I've picked up:

1. Before you start with the light effects, put some highlights on the area around the engine, using whatever colours you have been. My hulls are green, so I've put strong highlights in that colour around the engines, emerging from the engine.

2. I used gloss medium to make my glow transparent. You can get this from any art supply store, or could possibly cheat (I've not tried) and use PVA. Thin your paints down and put that down where you had the highlights from step 1. Try to push it starting near the engine and ending away so it's densest near the source. Do a few layers like this, adding your lighter colour as you go.

3. Highlight the engines with the same colours as the glow, but don't use the medium.

Good luck! Show some photos.

Well I'm no expert or anything, but I've done a few ships with a glow. 

16083_903767112986603_440088435122739698

1621922_963410657022248_2083767955770290

gallery_3414_713_72857.jpg

A couple non ship ones I've done recently also:

1452210_946815038681810_7601313027451573

10702054_915191161844198_568884977665950

Anyway, they're not the greatest, but lacking an airbrush I don't think they're too bad. Mostly they're long drawn out attempts at drybrushing and wet blending until I get a halfway reasonable result.

I've done a basic glow on my terran frigates. You basically paint the whole engine area with a darker shade of the colour you want (I used blue) and let a little spill beyond the engines for added effect. Then progressively keep painting a smaller area, always towards the center with gradually lighter shades. Try mixing the base paint with white.

Aegis 2

226992 10152644164205574 1412397386 N

Glow on the Terran frigates looks quite cool.

I've never tried wet blending most of the time I use progressive glazing, layering model with tons of watered down paint. I'm a slow painter so this suits me more.

Well I do have all mediums and varnishes I will ever need and access to citadel and Vallejo paints. I'm just struggling with concept. I will

Post my starter fleet as soon as it arrives ;) thing is that transport from uk to me is a little bit long an probably I'll have my ships after holidays in which I desired to paint them ;p

Waiting for some more photos and advices.

Meanwhile I'll practice some on piece of plastic or make my shredders shine ;)

I asked a great painter once about OSL without an airbrush and he looked at me like i was crazy.  He said he much prefers to use a regular brush for OSL.  The trick he told me was thin layers.  Let it build up slowly until you reach the effect you want.  Also, I've seen a few tutorials online and they recommend looking at just how light hits objects.  It's not something we usually look at or think about since we see it constantly.  Finally, remember that light reacts differently to different surfaces.  Is your engine mounting bare metal or painted?  the light will reflect more on metal or a shiny object then a matte one.

On another note...zacharybinks..love the name reference, but wasn't his name "Thackery"?

Sorylian15_zpsaa85f627.jpg

These are my Sorylians, which a gave blue glowing engines.

The procedure:

1) Paint the entire engine area black.

2) Paint the recessed areas you want to ‘glow’ white.

3) Dry brush on the blue (enchanted blue), working from light to dark from the bottom up.

4) You probably got some white and/or blue paint where it shouldn’t have gone, repaint those spots black again.

5) Pick out the raised engine details with gun metal.

As long as you use a sufficiently deep color you could do this in another color too of course.

I use a simpler technique.

Paint white

Use then blue ink

The dry. Brush ice blue over the central 80% of the engine.

The mix a little white and go for the middle 40%

The un lays drop of White for the centre of the engine.

Worked great on my rsn

unfortunateley i cant post pictures but a cheat way to do it is paint enginge with a silvery metallic and then use a tamiya clear colour over the top and then using a wash around the enginges (or entire model in some cases)

works best with black undercoated models as it helps give the clear colour depth