chrisbburn

Question of scale

Hi All

Quick question. Are the mediums suppose to be about the same size as todays real life modern armor (M1A1, Challenger 2) or smaller ie (Bradley, Scimitar etc).

I have assumed that the heavies are meant to be bigger than todays armor but not wildly bigger.

It depends on the actual scale of Planetfall and how accurately scaled the infantry are. x) If you go by the 1:182 scaling the Spartan Games site states, then the Terran Heimdahl is a fair bit bigger than an M1A1, being 10'9"/3.27 meters taller, 32'10"/10.01 meters long (M1A1 is only as long due to gun barrel sticking out) and 17'11"/5.46 meters wide. I'm not entirely convinced the scale given on website is accurate though, as if true, infantrymen for TA are apparently 8'11"/2.73 meters tall! Even with gear, humans either have grown a lot in the far future or something is off there. x)

The base isn't the actual length of the tank, measuring hull end to tip is 55mm, and also the M1A1's length is with the gun facing Forward and includes the barrel length, which stretches a fair bit farther than the tank's hull itself, whilst the Terran doesn't. It's a good 25%+ bigger than the Abrams.

Edit: Full comparison

Height

Heimdahl - 10'9" / 3.27 Meters

M1A1 - 8' / 2.44 Meters

Length

Heimdahl - 32'10" / 10.01 meters

M1A1 Hull only - 26' / 7.93 meters

Width

Heimdahl - 17'11" / 5.46 meters

M1A1 - 12' / 3.66 meters

My point was the medium bases are mostly covered by the majority of models available that use them, so if the base is 36ish feet then its a reasonably similar size. Medium tanks within the modern armies seem to be growing by about a meter in length every generation anyway.

Ex. an M1A1 would be ~53mm long in 10mm scale barrel incl, ~44mm hull only. 

I did a similar comparison between the Valenfyre and the Leopard 2, and came to the conclusion that the Valenfyre was similar in length and with (slightly larger), but much taller, and thus having a much larger overall volume (considering more crew and a nuclear reactor onboard, I wasn't really surprised...)

The new models seem smaller though, so I'd say they are only slightly larger than modern armour.

It depends on the actual scale of Planetfall and how accurately scaled the infantry are. x) If you go by the 1:182 scaling the Spartan Games site states, then the Terran Heimdahl is a fair bit bigger than an M1A1, being 10'9"/3.27 meters taller, 32'10"/10.01 meters long (M1A1 is only as long due to gun barrel sticking out) and 17'11"/5.46 meters wide. I'm not entirely convinced the scale given on website is accurate though, as if true, infantrymen for TA are apparently 8'11"/2.73 meters tall! Even with gear, humans either have grown a lot in the far future or something is off there. x)

Actually the question is whether the scale is 10mm or 1:182

10mm scale is 1:161

1:182 is 8.85mm

I thought most planetfall infantry was wearing powered armour or environment suits... so that extra 2 feet of hight on them humans could be attributed to that!

at 1:182 scale the infantry is 2.73m tall while at 10mm scale they are a mere 2.42m which makes the bulk of the infantry a slight more acceptable

When I compare to my DZC start set [...] (I'm doing a side-by-side comparison for the blog - the infantry one is almost cruel).

I'm looking forward to that comparison.