Commander Drakere

January 2015 Release: "Storm Zone: Return of the Overseers"

This is awesome! I'm glad that they release almost all new models.

I was a little anxious on how to expand my collection (Patrol Fleets), but they've showed us that they will reach out to new territory rather than recycle old material.

Thank you, Spartan Games, for this awesome box set! I have a large Directorate collection (and quite a few Aquans) already and I am very pleased that this box does not just contain the same as two battle group boxes but almost entirely new units (with great models). I'm eagerly awaiting the end of January, now. :)

Hum... Advancing the storyline...

Overseers are super powerful "old" race that unites all the current races in a short lived bid to stem the destruction caused by their awakening? Meanwhile Directorate forces ally themselves with the Overseers in a diabolical plot to take over the galaxy? Spartan Games is revealed to be a subsidiary of Games Slaveshop and we all discover we've been duped into playing Warhammer 10k? Dun dun dun!!! :D

During his investigation of the hyperspace collapse, a new threat becomes apparent - an ancient race called the Eternal Ones that inefficiently consume the energy of all sentient beings once an eon are near to returning.

GASP! it could be star control! i did always like that their current herald was the last race to defeat their current herald! damn directorate subjugating species to be consumed.... is that good for business?

Naw i like the new portals but i do wonder how the fluff with well fluff out as it is said proteus prime is in an entire gulf of 'emptyness' until the find the specific 100km wide opening to the planet.. how many other planets are hidden in the gulf? and what secrets do they hide?!

I look forward to the stats for the overseer ship, hopefully it will be capable of wiping the floor with both other fleets in the box!

I hope not. Seriously, the "one ship equals a whole armada" scenario might be okay for dramatic story-telling, but most of the time it leads to very boring tabletop games. Is it fun to play against Battle Stations now? Would it be even more fun to fight mobile Uberbattlestations on steroids?

That only assumes it's  common occurance. I seeeeriusly doubt the Overseers will be a playable race, like, ever. If the ship has any stats, they'll be handled the same way ghost stations are now, imo.

Either way, I'd like to play with my opponent, instead of being wrecked by the overly powerful scenario piece just because it randomly chose to shoot at my ships first. But I will just trust in Spartan's ability to make an interesting scenario and wait for release.

Very cool, thanks for the sneak peek mate, much appreciated. The RSN will be a definite auto-purchase for me.

The Siren looks like it has had the most noticeable change, having the rear keel/ventral fin changed in shape and a larger keel/ventral fin added to the front of the ship.

The Bulwark seems almost identical except the engine seems to be a little longer/larger...a real shame it didn't pick up an external Bridge...

The Phoenix also seems identical (assuming the keel will be a separate drop in and not shown), although it has picked up some more paneling detail.

The Cerberus seems to have also picked up some paneling detail and a larger engine. Drop ins for the side...does this mean the Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers will have the same hull?

Overall very cool...I hope the Battleship remains the same other than picking up some more paneling detail maybe...

I hope the Dreadnought gets a total rework and aesthetic change to fall more in line with the sleekness of the rest of the fleet, instead of looking like a giant back-heavy space fork...although the Battleship has the twin hull design, it carries it off perfectly...the Dreadnought is disastrous...

I guess these ships will carry the new names as well...Harpy, Hellion, Firebird and Hellhound...

Based on the pictures, there is a new drop-on for the flight stands, which also includes the keel fin (see heavy cruiser pic: the place of the bottom drop-on is far bigger than needed for just a flight peg). It is also missing from the destroyer.

Also considering the side drop-on on the HC: bulky "wing" for heavy cruiser, sleek plate for normal cruiser, is my guess, too.