We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Aunshi

Aquan Heavy Support Helix

Some thoughts on the Heavy Support Helix, any other thoughts and experiences welcome;

The Haumea Heavy Support Tank

This is perhaps an oddity among support tanks in that unlike its peers among the other races, the Haumea doesn't fill a long range combat role. Or at least, not as other Support tanks do. While the support tanks of other races outrange their Heavy Tank counterparts, the Haumea is outranged by the Sedna. 

The Haumea seems to fulfill a very definite role within Aquan ground forces, and I have to say its a role I am very happy to have filled. The Haumea is the most powerful, and mobile, Anti-Air unit so far made available to the Aquan forces. Don't get me wrong, Sting ray batteries are amazing, but they do suffer from immobility, tendency to scatter and a vulnerability to CQB. The Haumea on the other hand is mobile, packs a greater punch and is generally more survivable. And given the threat represented by the various aircraft now coming to the field, that heavy AA punch is certainly tempting.

The second role the Haumea fulfills comes from the Corrosive effective of its Missiles. An opening salvo from the Haumea should be sufficient to land a successful hit on most targets (especially with the Target Lock) along with a corrosive marker to bring down the DR for a knock out blow from another squadron.

Frankly I like the idea of the Haumea and think it might be worth taking a Heavy Support Helix just to take one of these to watch the skies.

The Locatu Tank Destroyer

Ok, on paper its all good....

A 40 inch range with Pinpoint 2 certainly plays into Aquan battle doctrine, and 6 AD each at LG sounds good. I think my problem with this unit though is the squad size... 2. Just 2. This gives a total LR AD of 12. I think what this effectively means is that the Locatu is dependent on the pinpoint MAR to eliminate targets, speifically Medium Tanks. I just don't see a pair of Locatu being capable of landing a shot on an enemy Heavy with just 12 AD. Unless of course you can put a corrosion marker on it first (see Haumea above). 

I would be really interested to hear peoples opinion on these guys. What do you think?

I concur with your thoughts about the Haumea, it is a support tank just in a different way because as you said, most people have long range support whilst Aquans already play the range game! And I will surely come to loathe it's existence as Aquans will already be a problem with their long range hover tactics en mass, now added to that they'll be making my medicore DR into paper as well.. brilliant! ._.

The Locatu is definately strange.. I would almost say it is suppose to be a light hunter but that would completely waste the Pinpoint MAR, but it will be hit and miss with mediums when firing from it's LR band... Move it up into EF and it gets abit better but rather average overall. I can only speculate that it is essentially a Lamana, but with more efficient pinpoint at a slightly better range, because it's AD output is pretty much on par with a Lamana squadron, it has same DR, Shields, and speed as a Lamana, but it comes with Pinpoint 2 instead of Pinpoint 1 and is worse in CQB. On top of that it's cheaper, tbh you could almost view your Heavy helix as a smaller Core Helix but without infantry, light recon and a repurposed heavy.

The problem with moving into EF is that it puts the Locatu at risk of coming within enemy EF, not somewhere it wants to be giving the -1 to hit modifier enemies suffer from at LR. Its probably also worth mentioning the Locatu lacks the Hit & Run Mar of the Lamana, but does out range it by 8 inches.

Hmmm.. perhaps the purpose of the Locatu is to use Voltari crystals, drop some of them close to your side of the line near them and fire into the crystal at EF and use it to extend it's range to offset this? Granted that works same in principle with the Lamana but maybe it's just me under valuing an AD of 12...

True.. It is a wonder.. so how would you use Lamanas that lacked Hit and Run, were more vulnerable due to being a squadron of 2 instead of 3, but have longer range.. maybe backfield support and then roll them up for taking out weakened targets of oppourtunity..? I honestly don't know, their true intended purpose is an oddity to me..

The target lock can only affect one main ordnance attack from the same squadron. Nothing says that it ignores defensive MARs so yeah, hard target, cloaking etc still apply.

Two Locutas provide the same LR firepower as 3 Lamana or the effective range firepower of a single Sedna a but at 40" for a bargain price of 220 points (3 Lamanas cost 360 points with a range of 32"). And unlike other tank destroyers they are quick (even the Gorgos only has a cruising speed of 7"). Yes, they are fragile, only come in pairs and don't have any cqb worth mentioning. They also have little improvement in ER. All this adds up to: keep them at maximum range, preferably on the flank. 12 da can be expected to put a damage on most targets, especially if you get flank shots.

At the very least, the Haumea is definately worth it, and considering everything else is optionals you could just take two bare bone Heavy Helixs for the Haumeas and consider it done there, especially as more Helixs become available, (and the Terquai helix is very good for Aquans too) there isn't a need to splash out and get everything..! That said, Locatu is a smexy model.. i'm with Neiltj1 on this, I would say use it as a hidden sniper using Crystals, then move them in to help mop up units left behind once the enemy has taken some hits.

I think the Terran Heavy Support Skimmer (HSS) certainly has its high points. 

The fun of the Aquan Support tank, of course, is its target lock means that it often won't need to remain stationary to get the Placed Shot bonus. 

I really do think though that the Aquan HSS fills a specialized role which makes it a really valuable asset.

I am going to be loving my Terran Tyr when it does come, Pinpoint 4 and very nice firepower to throw with it is going to hurt Mediums and heavies alike. Different purposes though, Tyr is really good at completely deleting mediums and severely hurting heavies, but it needs to get reasonably close to truely shine. The Aquan HSS sets up units by hitting hard and then tacking on Corrosive for the rest of the army to then delete it.  :P It will probably one one of your top priority activation units either to kill off aerial support before it gets to you or to set up a unit for destruction. If I was an Aquan player, depending on the points bracket I would honestly probably not take a decked out Heavy Helix currently, unless it was high point game. Terquai are good and prized as objective cappers for Aquans atm, so I would probably grab a Terquai recon helix then go bare bones and just take the HSS, maybe a Sirsir and some Crystals to add on to it as a meatshield.

Pinpoint 4 is terrifying.  I've seen people post they aren't impressed by Pinpoint (and Pinpoint 1 doesn't do much, I agree), but I've been loving my Pinpoint 2 and the Aquan TAC to give a unit Pinpoint 3.  It is a bit random but since it adds a direct additional point of damage it's nasty.

Yeah I just saw that, interesting. I wouldn't say we need any more crystals or target spots, but a full 4 Locatus tank hunters would be good. (I'm not sure about them selling a Helix with 1 heavy support tank and 1 squadron of tank hunters. meaning if you want a full heavy helix you have to purchase 2 boxes, giving you a spare heavy support tank that doesn't fit into that one helix. I know these may just be preview pictures and not representative, just something I hope they think about first. 

Is something to note here.. the Sorylian Heavy Helix shows a Light Skiff unit, yet the ORBAT has no mention for the Heavy Helix being able to take this unit..! Pondering if maybe the ORBATs for heavy helixs has changed already and jsut not been updated yet, perhaps we will see Mk2 Heavies coming in squadrons of 1-2? Speculation entirely, so no getting dreams up but would explain some things!

the page it links to also states 3 Locatus... at first i speculated this was because if you buy 2 heavy helix you can field 3 squads... but max squad size is 2 per helix so you would need 8 not 6... you also only get 1 sirsir when you -can- have 2... i dont see squad size going up to 3 though... imagine 21 dice at 20 inches with pinpoint 2?!

Edit: i swear delboy said each box would be a full helix besides the core so maybe you can field 3?

He did indeed, I think the best assumption right now is that the Heavy Helix listing is outdated and not been updated since well, as the Heavy Helixs are a month off they're not priority fixs right now and we might see the change come when the rulebook goes free to download on the 12th of Jan, if they update anything else with it. It isn't entirely unrealistic. The sorylian tank destroyer squadron tosses out 18AD with Pinpoint 2 and Interceptor at 40" and my Terran Baldurs toss out 18AD Pinpoint 2 at 20". I would say though that if this is true.. expect your Locatu's to go up in points cost x) but it also looks like it is just 1 Tank Destroyer squadron per a Helix now, meaning to gain access to 2 of them, you would have to lose access to Strike Helixs, aka leviathans. :P

Edit: Oh and those pesky Dindrenzi Gorgos toss out 24AD at 18" with Kinetic MAR, so have fun with THAT.. Locatu could do with going up to squadron size 3 but need a points boost if they do. xD Not sure they should be cheaper than Lamana's if they go to squadron of 3...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.