Commander Drakere

Terrain.. how much?

Simple question, probably not simple to answer..! How much Terrain should one use in a game of Planetfall? Is it a game that benefits from having a more densely packed board terrain wise working with a lot of the buildings from the planetfall scenery or do people feel too much will be too harsh a punishment on peeps like the Aquans and thier fencing range duelling game antics?

The ever recurring tabletop/wargaming question. In FSA 2.0 there was a rule for this in the book. Don't have the Planetfall book yet (still to arrive).

I guess the best answer is to adjust it a little each game and look for the best amount for your local meta yourself. That might not be the easiest approach depending on the players in your group. However if the long ranged faction tends to "always" win there could be something wrong and vice versa.

There is a setup system in the rules. It gives a 50/50 chance to put a terrain piece in each 2'x2' area of the board per player. Add to this objectives and I seems to play well. We also allowed a player to use a placed piece in this way as an objective and add a piece elsewhere.

I would say lots. From a fluff standpoint for sure.

Modern battles rarely take place in the open field anymore, and are largely about taking urban/industrial areas

That's not really true. While pacifying cities takes up a lot of time, in Iraq the main engagements still took place outside or on the very outskirts of the cities in the initial stages, because the idea is to defend the cities and factories and other objectives. Likewise in Georgia in 2008 and now in Ukraine- a lot of the prolonged combat takes place in cities because..well, cities are ideal for defense, but there's been plenty open-space skirmishes and battles in the open country. Cityfights are what happens AFTER the initial forces have clashed in the countryside.

Don't have to go to urban/city conflicts luckily to have buildings in PF. :) The buildings spartan provides could easily be remote facilities of key importance that you may want to assault, remote intelligence centers, planetary defense silos/operation centres, secret research facilities etc and then have local floral, forests, hills and such making up landscape around these places.

Yeah, tourney play has specific rules. For the 'grab some terrain and play' casuals it's best in my opinion to run ~25-33% coverage, double if you want a more 'realistic modern urban' feel or are running the bone dry 2 player starter.(Aquans are a bit rough for the Directorate in the box without decent cover.)

Great looking board (and shop) mate...did the Aquans win?

Yeah -8 to -2 and I practically handed the Directorate their primary. Just using the first wave of models the Aquan/Terquai have a notable advantage over the Directorate/WorksRaptor. Little advice to those looking at the Nabi's across the table... DO NOT LET THEM GET IN AN OBJECTIVE BUILDING. If you don't have infantry that can pull them out you are likely not taking it back.

Yeah -8 to -2 and I practically handed the Directorate their primary. Just using the first wave of models the Aquan/Terquai have a notable advantage over the Directorate/WorksRaptor. Little advice to those looking at the Nabi's across the table... DO NOT LET THEM GET IN AN OBJECTIVE BUILDING. If you don't have infantry that can pull them out you are likely not taking it back.

I have to say that I'm not surprised about the Aquan win, but it doesn't seem like an absolute smashing, which is good.

The more terrain the better is my feeling, my table is still work in progress, but it will be an urban city table with lots of buildings,

Here are the first pictures, (not much coloured yet)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-eFX3CxGUSiVWJMd2hhVEE3T0k&authuser=0

i will try to update this Folder regularly.

The last part I finished was the river including bridges, and I hope to have a sector of ruined buildings done until Christmas.