We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Awesomeshotdude

RSN Assault Helix!

The Archangel is the mandatory unit the temple+Seraphs the optional unit for the RSN Assault Helix, so yes, you could take more than Archangel and only 1 temple if you double bought RSN Assault.

Ok many thanks :) Well at least from me, my wallet is much more cold about this :P

'Give it a go SinSynn , you will find the Temple very effective in a number of ways when used correctly.'

Well you're certainly right about the Temple being a cool model, Delboy! And all the other things you mentioned are probably true.

I'm just a knucklehead and me actually using a unit 'correctly' is unlikely. Lol.

I'm sure I'll end up purchasing the kit...I REALLY like what Spartan is doing with the Planetfall lineup (and the 28mm Dystopian game, too- I saw some previews that were very nice), so the Crazy Lady I Live With will have to stop me from buying two, eventually.

I think the statline for the Temple will change a few times between now and...heck, next week, maybe. I'm not sure what goes on 'behind the scenes,' but although I'm new to Spartan Games I know they have a good reputation for maintaining games. I have faith that they'll work out what needs working out with the Temple. I really do.

I just think it might take a month or two. This change was so dramatic it felt like an overreaction, maybe. I mean, really- the Temple felt like it got taken out back and beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

My reaction was a lil' much, too, but I was really looking forward to an Assault Vehicle that moved...and was loaded with tanks...and handed out that Fearless bonus to everyone, regardless of who my opponent is. I was a lil' surprised at the drastic changes, and a bit disappointed (my plans! Foiled! Drat!), but ultimately I know Spartan is trying to build a great game, and I'm willing to deal with the craziness to play it.

I'll probably buy my first Leviathan after I get my second Core Helix. I'll buy the Assault Helix down the road a bit, after things settle down. If you know any playtesters (or are you one yourself?), PLEASE-

Assault Vehicle MAR.

It would just be SO AWESOME.

:)

...was that subtle pleading?

Oh, I don't care.

ASSAULT VEHICLE PLOX!

:D

The Temple's never been able to move, even in it's previous incarnation it had a Mv value of 0"/0". 

The Assault Vehicle MAR allows the models embarked squadron to activate directly after their parent model, so you get back to back activations. 

Without the Assault Vehicle MAR, it gives the enemy one activation to either deal with the temple, or prepare to deal with the Seraphs. :)

.... to an Assault Vehicle that moved...

The Temple has never been able to move though? It's always been a Sky Drop asset that lands and then remains in place. :)

I do agree the Terran-specific bonus while very fluffy seems pretty narrow, but as Delboy explained, it's undercosted as a result. So it's a nice bonus rather than something to be relied upon. :P

Sigh.

Looks like I'll have to hope for the Dindrenzi Airpower Helix to have those Assault Helicopters/VTol-type of craft, then, huh interviglium?

:lol:

...seriously though that would be really cool.

Blackhawk helicopters for Nyx...or some 'Little Bird' chopper with a squad of Nyx hanging offa it!

the squadron leader could be something a little bigger and meaner, something Apache-like, with a Nexus Designator (like the sensor dome on top of some Apache variants).

The squadron swoops in, drops of a Cadre of Nyx, and then moves into position for the Squadron leader to target lock for the follow-up fighter/bomber aircraft...

I can dream, right?

:wub:

Edit: And I swear to gawd I thought the Temple could move. I didn't even look at the movement cuz I had no idea it was just a building we dropped in place.

:blink:

That's...some kinda crazy way to make war.

'We're just gonna put this here. Everybody might wanna back up a lil' bit.'

...and then you drop A BUILDING ON THEM.

LMAO!

...this is gonna be one bonkers game...

But... But... Those passengers take up perfectly good room that could be used to mount MORE GUNS! :P

That IS a fair point, sir!

Some more thought on this subject is definitely required.

Guns make excellent passengers, and they don't complain when the ride gets bumpy...

Although Nyx troopies are prolly used to a bit of extreme atmospheric deceleration!

That IS a fair point, sir!

Some more thought on this subject is definitely required.

Guns make excellent passengers, and they don't complain when the ride gets bumpy...

Although Nyx troopies are prolly used to a bit of extreme atmospheric deceleration!

I know my Nyx are VERY adept at extreme atmospheric deceleration... Normally due to having to bail out of the pod as it explodes on the way down!  :lol:

My pods usually aren't long for this world, either. DR 6+5 is just so easy to chew through. I have had to become much more conservative with my Nyx than I used to be. Their "boogieman" effect is waning now that people are figuring out how to effectively counter them.

Yeh, especially since the Damocles lost Hard Target. Poor, squishy drop pods... And I really should start equipping those pods with emergency parachutes...  :lol: 

I've also found that people are starting to realise that Nyx aren't really all that scary, and quite simple to counter. Although people who don't often use Sky Drop still seem to have this impression it is a lot more accurate than it actually is, even when it is Zero-ed In. :P

I've also found that people are starting to realise that Nyx aren't really all that scary, and quite simple to counter. 

It's almost like that other game that begins with firestorm, and all the initial ho hum about dindrenzi being OP, only to finish the years war log in second last position!  :o

Having come from another game that uses drop pods, I've come to think of them as pretty simple things. There's two really classic strategies I'm hoping might translate:

1) Drop the pods as close to my Primary as possible, rush the Letos to support them as fast as I can. A Sky Drop marker or two that could put a squadron of something scary in LoS of my Primary might help too.

This might mean punching a hole, but if the Letos can get past or around the enemy, with Eris's (Eris'? Erises? What's plural for Eris :blink: ?), my opponent will likely have to turn somebody around.

Unless he left backfield support, but that would likely snuff this plan anyhow. :P

This means breaking up his forces, splitting off a Helix, maybe, and a total monkey wrench in whatever 'plan' he was plotting. That alone is worth the price of entry, and whoever turns around to go intercept the Nyx and Letos and whoever is trailing behind the Letos is gonna risk flank and rear shots from the bulk of my forces, so bonus. ^_^

2) Play conservatively- drop my initial troopies on the middle objective. Since I think the Dindrenzi are a 'go up the middle' type of army, the deployment really doesn't have to change much. I wanna get my army forward to support my sky drop troops ASAP. If I drop in the middle I should be able to do that.

I know a lotta people don't like 'em, but I think a Recon Helix might be a handy addition when it comes to surviving until support arrives. Gives the enemy something to chew on, and might do some chewing back.

*shrug*

I'll have to proxy them. See what they're capable of. They also might help break up 'campers' on important Sky Drop markers if you have an 'alternate' Sky Drop marker or two set up (spots with good LoS, for sure).

I know a lotta people don't like 'em, but I think a Recon Helix might be a handy addition when it comes to surviving until support arrives. Gives the enemy something to chew on, and might do some chewing back.

*shrug*

I'll have to proxy them. See what they're capable of. They also might help break up 'campers' on important Sky Drop markers if you have an 'alternate' Sky Drop marker or two set up (spots with good LoS, for sure).

I think for me in 4k and under, I'll just pull nyx squads out of my core helix and put them in as recon helixes, gives two small null deployment helixes for an advantage during deployment, as well as two nyx squads that can be deployed after the core helix activates if neccesary. 

I think for me in 4k and under, I'll just pull nyx squads out of my core helix and put them in as recon helixes, gives two small null deployment helixes for an advantage during deployment, as well as two nyx squads that can be deployed after the core helix activates if neccesary. 

Problem I have with the Recon Helix is it's very specific setup for it's Nyx Squads. My Nyx only come as Sweeper Cadres (1x Officer, 3 x Sweeper Teams) or Support Cadres (3 x Gun Teams, 1 x Standard Nyx). I'm not sure I want an Officer in a Gun Team Squadron unless I have a lot of spare points lying around... :P

Problem I have with the Recon Helix is it's very specific setup for it's Nyx Squads. My Nyx only come as Sweeper Cadres (1x Officer, 3 x Sweeper Teams) or Support Cadres (3 x Gun Teams, 1 x Standard Nyx). I'm not sure I want an Officer in a Gun Team Squadron unless I have a lot of spare points lying around... :P

You don't put an officer in with the gun teams!?

But you're missing out an an amazing combo! ~ dropping in, moving within 4" of the enemy, CQBing with 16AD, disordering the opponent then following up with 15AD and either wiping out the squad or placing another disorder that will wipe them out. (Trust me, its happened on more than 1 occasion) 

You don't put an officer in with the gun teams!?

But you're missing out an an amazing combo! ~ dropping in, moving within 4" of the enemy, CQBing with 16AD, disordering the opponent then following up with 15AD and either wiping out the squad or placing another disorder that will wipe them out. (Trust me, its happened on more than 1 occasion) 

Without the Officer, its still 12AD CQB and then 15AD Harvesters. But unless I got that 30 points lying around, I'd rather use them on other things. :)

I'm not set on the Temple of Dramos, seems like 570 (could be 3 units of infantry) is a bit steep when it fires one weapon when it comes down and the drones are left in the open so the opponent can just CQB them out the way then ignore the temple. A shame when I like the idea and the model.

I'm trying it out tomorrow but I think the battle robot will do more

I'm not set on the Temple of Dramos, seems like 570 (could be 3 units of infantry) is a bit steep when it fires one weapon when it comes down and the drones are left in the open so the opponent can just CQB them out the way then ignore the temple. A shame when I like the idea and the model.

I'm trying it out tomorrow but I think the battle robot will do more

1. It doesn't have rear echelon so it can continue to fire every round. Why is it going to be ignored?

2. The drones disembark with a normal move on their own action so aren't just "left in the open". They are drones so have a combined can of 12 while within a drone nexus (provided by both the temple and the archangel) and have a combined Dr of 24 (and fearless while within 16" of the temple). What exactly is cqbing them out of the way?

3. The archangel has to make it into base contact with a juicy target to really shine. Failure to do so makes it less effective than the temple. My games don't tend to last long enough for that to be likely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.