darksied

Hoping for news...

I don't really have a beef with delayed products or ballpark release dates and I don't really even have a beef with having to wait for the ORBAT's, although I will admit to certainly looking forward to them and wishing they were released.

My slight disgruntlement revolves around there not being someone on the forums helping out with rules clarifications. This facet is isolated and not impacted by Spartans manufacturing, packing, shipping and development works and it would be too easy to have some of the playtesters cruising the rules section answering questions...questions that are quite reasonable given the rule books mistakes and confusing layout.

I remember when Firestorm Armada 2.0 dropped, there was a whole stack of playtesters jumping in answering all sorts of questions that people had, not just rules questions but also tactical advice etc.

Why would you release a game and then once the rule book was exposed to the public, and the public started asking questions, not support your own product by answering those questions and interacting with helpful posts.

The foundation of any game is its rule system, if people are confused by some elements of it, and are seeking help with nothing forthcoming, then it's frustrating and not a good image.

Before this turns into too much of a hate thread I want everyone to know my original post was a bit of constructive criticism. Not an attempt to flame the game. I've had a lot of fun with the games I've played so far. I just don't want the game to flounder early because stores and new customers feel ignored or blocked from information. The game is very good though. I really want it to do well.

Awesomeshotdude has it right. I don't understand people getting so worked up about delays. Sure communication could be better, but its not like people will die if they don't get their product in a week/army info is half a month late.

I do agree that rules clarifications are needed and communication should be there, but neither will stop me enjoying this product once I receive it.

Before this turns into too much of a hate thread I want everyone to know my original post was a bit of constructive criticism. Not an attempt to flame the game. I've had a lot of fun with the games I've played so far. I just don't want the game to flounder early because stores and new customers feel ignored or blocked from information. The game is very good though. I really want it to do well.

Agreed, even though I'm not 100% sure I'm playing the rules correctly, and I am confused about a few things, I've thoroughly enjoyed the dozen or so games I've now had. Once its through these teething problems, it will be a great game and a popular one I reckon.

When PF launched on sept10 2012 it was a good game with plenty of potential and fun. With the spring releases of 2013[which were a little late, no big deal] all of the original models were covered. And then nothing................................till now.

With the release my hopes were certainly high and I am not disappointed in the new product, it is good and solid with plenty of growth and various options, however if you look back at the threads of 2012 this subforum went pretty dark and almost no communication was received......this is my concern. Delboy has done a great job in his efforts to enable this game to be successful and despite the various reasons there is room for improvement and I'm stopping here and saying nothing else.

so let it fly!

I remember when Firestorm Armada 2.0 dropped, there was a whole stack of playtesters jumping in answering all sorts of questions that people had, not just rules questions but also tactical advice etc.

And I distinctly remember the reaction was (in part of course, not everyone) that we're too overbearing and squashing all negativity. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Basically they need to hire more staff, but it seems there is reluctance to do so.

They also need to have a dedicated web staffer, dedicated games designers, fluff writers, etc. not just a small team that does a bit of everything - so that when demand is suddenly high they don't have to shut down all those other areas to pull in all staff to cast resin, pack boxes, etc. and leave the rest of the world in the dark.

I feel the same way! I've played a couple of solo test games just to get a feel for the rules, and it feels incredibly "immediate" to me, almost like a PC RTS on the tabletop (with more setup, obviously, and without the base building). I can't wait to have a game against an opponent that isn't me.

The ORBATs will generate discussion, and it's much better for that to spark up now in advance of wave 2, instead of in a month's time (if, indeed, that's the release plan). But, as I said, I can wait because I'm already "in" as far as Firestorm goes and don't need persuading to buy the shiny stuff. :)

Heck this might be the first game where I actually end up having a finished painted army by the time I get comfortable with the rules (and find someone to actually WANT to play with me since the title of this game is not 40K and seeing as how just about everyone down at my LGS plays either Magic or a GW game). The search continues, at least a painted army will attract attention. 

I feel Spartan know exactly what's going on and they're playing it right.

hiring more staff? not for the sake of a pan-flash demand. bad plan. 

getting temps? nope. temporary workers who don't appreciate the product they're packing can and WILL result in mis-packs. (there's a reason your boxes and packets have sticky labels/stars on them)

i'd rather Spartan was balls-to-the-wall packing (and sorting out everything related to the vast shipping requirements of the distributors, you gotta remember. not everyone visits these forums) than farting about on the forums having a bit of a jolly.

i've pre-ordered through Wayland Games because i want a bucket-load of paint and... some other heretical miniatures. and i'm sure i'm not the only one. I'd hazard that despite the smaller cut spartan gets, a lot of product volume doesn't come from spartan's own web-store, if they don't fulfill those particular orders it could spell very bad news indeed.

When PF launched on sept10 2012 it was a good game with plenty of potential and fun. With the spring releases of 2013[which were a little late, no big deal] all of the original models were covered. And then nothing................................till now.

With the release my hopes were certainly high and I am not disappointed in the new product, it is good and solid with plenty of growth and various options, however if you look back at the threads of 2012 this subforum went pretty dark and almost no communication was received......this is my concern. Delboy has done a great job in his efforts to enable this game to be successful and despite the various reasons there is room for improvement and I'm stopping here and saying nothing else.

so let it fly!

Same here!

But unfortunately I have to admit that I am tired of reading things in this forum like "people aren't patient enough". Point is, there is a difference between being patient while having a constant flow of info from Spartan as why I should be patient and being disappointed because things don't happen although you were told they would. See our ORBATS-Problem.... :( ... is it really THAT hard Spartan???

@ all: And please, I really do like Spartan, but constantly reading things like "they're just as small company and they went all-hands-on-deck" leaves me with only two conclusions. Either the company offers too many products at once or the deck is just to big for the amount of hands. Both lead to the same result: hire more people or release the products in a more timely manner.

The whole Planetfall release back in 2012 was a nice surprise, went smooth and then went completely dark. Now I share Alamo's feelings about this one.

Delboy alone did a great job! Without him we would have known NOTHING about the rules or faction styles before the delayed release. But he is only one person and can't possibly handle all the necessary support alone that this game needs. And it does need support, see the rules section in this forum!

But as I have stated many times before: It has been a long time since Spartan really read what people wrote here.... :(

Planetfall release in 2012 was announced as not beeing a full release under the Studio Sparta branch. I didnt think it was a good move at that time but they never stated its going to be a fully supported game right away. they should kept working on it in the background (at least without a release).

"Playtesters to the front checkout please, we have a customer with a rules check!"

Sorry if you felt left out! It wasn't meant that way! I was specifically talking about the pre-release phase concerning Delboy's help! I know you're pretty active on the rules-helping-front, but you're also only one person helping were you can. And there are already enough questions and so far only the core set has been released. And yes, maybe I am just a little disgruntled... ;) (You probably would be too, if you had spent that much money on their products and tried to bring new people into their games for so long.... honestly pretty much from the company's start!!)

Sorry if you felt left out! It wasn't meant that way! I was specifically talking about the pre-release phase concerning Delboy's help! I know you're pretty active on the rules-helping-front, but you're also only one person helping were you can. And there are already enough questions and so far only the core set has been released. And yes, maybe I am just a little disgruntled... ;) (You probably would be too, if you had spent that much money on their products and tried to bring new people into their games for so long.... honestly pretty much from the company's start!!)

Oh, I'm not a playtester for Planetfall...it was a way of me saying that I want Planetfall playtesters to jump into the rules section here and start helping out...anything you see in there from me is just my take on it and I have just as many questions as everyone else...

Planetfall release in 2012 was announced as not beeing a full release under the Studio Sparta branch. I didnt think it was a good move at that time but they never stated its going to be a fully supported game right away. they should kept working on it in the background (at least without a release).

Honestly it WAS a fully supported (although small) game back in 2012, as they released all the models in a timely fashion and updated the free downloadable pdf-rulebook two times. Granted, you had to wait some time for the models to be delivered after you had ordered and there was a delay involved (second wave), but it wasn't a mass market release at that time so it was ok. And there was Alamo helping out in the rules section!! At least to me it felt pretty good back then! Thanks again for that!!  :)

So my point simply is, that I want companies to learn from their past and become better in the future. You grow with your tasks, is a common phrase where I come from.

Oh, I'm not a playtester for Planetfall...it was a way of me saying that I want Planetfall playtesters to jump into the rules section here and start helping out...anything you see in there from me is just my take on it and I have just as many questions as everyone else...

Then take it as the compliment that it was! :rolleyes:  Honestly your answers do help me a lot of times!

But then again, what you say just hardens my point! :D