darksied

Hoping for news...

So I decided to post this as a new thread seeing as the last ORBATS thread has gotten monolithic and veered far off topic. I hope whoever is on vacation or not around to put up the ORBATS for the armies is back soon. I've painted up everything from the two player starter and taught about 10 people at my FLGS how to play. Everyone has looked at my models, or the ones online and is super excited to play, but when they ask how the other armies play, the mysterious answer "no one knows" only seems to irritate them a lot.

It is frustrating.  It's hard to convince my FLGS owner to plan on carrying the game when the people I have gotten interested in the game are unwilling to commit to ordering a core helix until they see some rules so they know which faction(s) play to a style they they'd like.  I don't even necessarily need full ORBATS (though of course I'd like them), but enough so people can get a feel for the upcoming core's and put in a request with our local store for Core Helices so he knows how many of what to order and can see the demand and feel it's worth carrying.

I'd be just happy if some of the Playtesters or Spartan Staff put some time into the rules section of Planetfall, interacting and answering a few of the very good questions people have been placing in there about the rule book.

I understand Delboy is on holidays, which is cool, but surely there MUST be some Playtesters or Spartan Staff that can support the games release by answering the questions or clarifying some of the rules.

Honestly, I feel that so many of you have no patience, do you not understand that SG went "all hands on deck" to package and send out TONS of Proteus Prime, Works Raptor, Terquai and Terrain boxes? Their launch wasn't just successfully, it blew them out of the water, they weren't prepared for a release of this magnitude, but that's fine, it happens to everyone now and again.

I'm pretty sure the ORBATS will be released on 10 December alongside the other Core Helixes and Allied Helixes, for right now we have enough rules and stuff for Directorate/Works Raptor and Aquans/Terquai.

Be patient, all good things come to those who wait.

Honestly, I feel that so many of you have no patience, do you not understand that SG went "all hands on deck" to package and send out TONS of Proteus Prime, Works Raptor, Terquai and Terrain boxes? Their launch wasn't just successfully, it blew them out of the water, they weren't prepared for a release of this magnitude, but that's fine, it happens to everyone now and again.

I'm pretty sure the ORBATS will be released on 10 December alongside the other Core Helixes and Allied Helixes, for right now we have enough rules and stuff for Directorate/Works Raptor and Aquans/Terquai.

In the mean time, lets get some playtesters helping people understand the rules...

I'm sorry, but they've said that about each and every release since they first released DW. They may have said that about FSA as well but I hadn't heard about the company before DW. That line is getting tiresome and really just means that they have poor expectations or they need to hire some people that are better at Forecasting.

The game should not have been released if you can't commit to doing things anywhere near the time frame stated after a long preorders then something is screwed up its not about patience its about not allowing the proverbial to be taken out of you.

Spartan has a bad rep already in a great many forums and this has just played straight into that field. No excuse for any screw ups with long preorders and this being what there 6th game and more than a few updates to there games it screams sloppy or it was never ready in the first place.

It needed at least a few months before it should have been released and they are trying to hold people attention by showing even more things that are no where near release or have rules for. Sorry Spartan but after having a read through the rule book no promised orbats on site I don't see how any one is going to buy into this game with any confidence buy the rules then wait a couple of months before you can use them a sad laugh.

So will be taking my cash else where no wonder I can't find a store that stocks your games

Role on the Spartan defenders now

While I would expect some basic Units to be listed in the Rulebook (as seen in the Firestorm Armada book) for context when reading the rules, I can understand not having stats for models that aren't released.

That being said.. when examining the VERY small market share Spartan has in New England (where I've been told it is better than average), one would think Spartan would want to OVER achieve as much as possible.

While I've always loved and owned all of the Spartan games myself, they aren't helping me sell this as a viable game locally with constant delays and frustrating inconsistencies like above.

Sorry Spartan, you're not even close to being good enough or popular enough to almost always upset the Community the way you do.

I bought into the original game because of the scale and I felt I would like it more that the other 10mm game.  I have been waiting all this time for it to mature and to be honest I felt that I was mislead originally.   

I have hopes for Planetfall so I purchased the 2 player starter and both allied helixes.  Keep in mind, I purchases these blind not knowing what the rules would be or the stats for the armies and my preferred army is the Terrans.  Basically I purchased to get a start and to try to push the game locally based on what Spartan has shared about release schedules and products..... 

I feel it is time for them to give us something to keep the "troops" that are trying to push the game motivated (stats, accurate release schedules, etc.)... The task of promoting is already going to be a hard one anyway not considering Spartan's reputation in my area.  Getting people to play any game these day other than the BIG ones is an uphill battle:(      

Believe me I want Planetfall to succeed!!!!    By the way don't beat me up on my views unless you have already made the financial committment that I have on the game from the beginning and I am still waiting on it......

Rapid expansion can be a real problem for any business, and Spartan seem to be doing that long term which is pretty amazing.

Now catching up with that popularity CANNOT happen overnight logistics, manufacturing, warehousing etc... need to be sorted staff employed and you need to keep the financers happy.

However saying this I feel planetfall and DL2.0 may have been a little premature in being released. I still am a fangirl I love the models and I can only keep my fingers crossed that the current problems will clear up soon. Also I understand the need for a holiday but both Delboy & Neil? Just after a major release?

I hope the releases slow down a little, ok I need my shiny fix as much as all of you but I also hope Spartan Ricky, Neil, Derek and crew can build a business that goes from strength to strength.

So please I know we have seen some flaws of late but I do urge you to calm down and see what comes I certainly will.

However saying this I feel planetfall and DL2.0 may have been a little premature in being released.

FA 2.0 had some delays too. In fact, it was the same story more or less, with US being on the aft end of the schedule due to popularity. I've defended spartan then because it was their first large 2-player box, and apparently it sold way over and beyond the previous demand for Firestorm was (in other way, they literally had no way of projecting that kind of popularity), but the same story happened now, so..it seems it's less an accident and more of a systemic issue.The fact that PF is most popular (if roll call is to be believed) with US customers, perhaps the most entitled customer base on the planet, certainly doesn't help.

To those who say it's a load of bollocks that SG can't forecast, need I remind you of recent Kickstarters that fund 10/20x more than they 'forecast', Planetfall was a sleeper hit, SG couldn't have possibly forecasted this level of success. -.-

I have listened to interviews with people from CMON, Reaper, and Mantic those goals are kept low for strategic reasons. It allows the achievement of stretch goals. It also increases the number of backers, and the amount they throw in.

Whether or not SG can foresee sales, I have no idea. I would hope they would communicate with the customers a bit more. For example when Delboy said the Orbats were waiting for approval a lot of people calmed down a bit. Its been a couple of weeks since then so people are getting a bit restless again.

Personally, I'm patient enough to wait until the ORBATs are released. But I can see how it's a hard sell for some people trying to get Planetfall started in whatever part of the world...

INT: The local game store.

Person 1: "Hey, this game looks great!"

Person 2: "Yeah, it's Planetfall by Spartan Games. Set in the same universe as Firestorm Armada."

(Discussion about the Aquans and Directorate happens based on PPrime stats.)

1: "Seems good. How many other factions are there?"

2: "Four other core factions, and some allied ones too."

1: "Cool. How do they play?"

2: "Well... we don't know because the stats aren't out yet."

1: "Oh, OK. Well, let us know when they're out. I might get into this!"

(Person 1 walks away and out of the game as a million other things grab their attention.)

That scenario is going to be repeated in a lot of places. The time to strike is now while the iron is hot, not in December when everyone's thinking about the holidays and the wave 1 release was 6 weeks ago.

The alternative timeline could go like this...

2: "Well..."

(Discussion happens about the unreleased factions.)

1: "Awesome! I like the sound of [unreleased faction]. When is it out?"

2: "On December tenth. You could pre-order."

1: "Hmm, I wonder if the store's taking pre-orders?"

2: "Let's ask and find out."

The sooner the ORBATs are out, the sooner the discussion about what they contain will happen, getting people excited to pick up a core helix in wave 2, instead of people asking when the stats will be out.

Personally, I'm patient enough to wait until the ORBATs are released. But I can see how it's a hard sell for some people trying to get Planetfall started in whatever part of the world...

INT: The local game store.

Person 1: "Hey, this game looks great!"

Person 2: "Yeah, it's Planetfall by Spartan Games. Set in the same universe as Firestorm Armada."

(Discussion about the Aquans and Directorate happens based on PPrime stats.)

2: "Well... we don't know because the stats aren't out yet."

1: "Oh, OK. Well, let us know when they're out. I might get into this!"

(Person 1 walks away and out of the game as a million other things grab their attention.)

That scenario is going to be repeated in a lot of places. The time to strike is now while the iron is hot, not in December when everyone's thinking about the holidays and the wave 1 release was 6 weeks ago.

The alternative timeline could go like this...

2: "Well..."

(Discussion happens about the unreleased factions.)

1: "Awesome! I like the sound of [unreleased faction]. When is it out?"

2: "On December tenth. You could pre-order."

1: "Hmm, I wonder if the store's taking pre-orders?"

2: "Let's ask and find out."

The sooner the ORBATs are out, the sooner the discussion about what they contain will happen, getting people excited to pick up a core helix in wave 2, instead of people asking when the stats will be out.

This. 

Fortunately, most of the people I've had showing interest are happy to wait to see whats what which makes promoting the game easier. Plus them having DL wish lists to get through 1st means they're a bit preoccupied to cry out for rules atm :D.

Cannor.......  Thanks for the examples as they are on point!!!  I can't even bring Planetfall up at my LGS until the information is available and I hope that I will be able to generate some interest then. 

Uphill battle awaits but I hope that the scale, models, rules, etc. is enough to at least get people to look and consider Planefall.  Time will tell... I am hopefull!!!

Once the good ship Planetfall gets some steam behind her I think people will be a lot happier.

Luckily I've pre-sold at least 3/4 of every Core Helix plus Allied Helixes due to the fact it's Spartan (I.E they love the rules and setting), the players have the same Firestorm fleet and I know roughly how each race will play. That coupled with the awesome two player set has been great for our shop. Once all the players will have their respective ground fleets I know the guys who haven't bought into PF yet will almost immediately do so. Some folks do need that extra nudge and just seeing the game being played with other races really helps.

I just think Spartan need to focus on what they have now and reign some of this crazy "MUST DO NEW THING"-ness in a bit, get back to knocking stuff out on deadlines and keeping folks happy (in a perfect world maybe?).

Maybe I'm just too patient?