Sign in to follow this  
irob41

Fighting the kaiser

Dear admirals,

This afternoon, I'll be engaging a Prussian fleet at 1500 points. He has the new starter fleet. The support flotilla, and the raider flotilla (2 bc's, destroyers, corvettes)

I have the new starter box, a squad of toulons, Lyons, and a magenta non skimmer. My St.malo is unassembled due to painting prep.

My concern is the kaiser. It is quite the tank. What experience have you all had fighting it and what tactics worked well for you?

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian !

A kaiser is a real hard guy to take down espacially without the right ship to do it... Toulons and Cherbourd can damage it,  but other ship will be in trouble trying. and removing 9HP to a kaiser only with a Cherbourg and 3 Toulon will be very difficult... :( A La Rochelle would have been the best ship (without speaking about Charlemagne !) to manage a Kaiser but you don't have it... So my advice would be to ignore it and kill 70% of the fleet without targeting the kaiser.

One of the key in a dystopian war game is the right choose of target for each of your fire. Don't waste attacks on a too difficult battleship if you are able to damage or crit a cruiser.

So if you play without the Saint Malo a 1500 pts game, you will probably have a far more mobile force (as you can only field a single large - the Couronne). Manover your mediums and small squadrons to keep the distance without the kaiser and engage prussian mediums and smalls. It will be very difficult as larges are one of the best assets of RoF forces and playing with few larges is a real challenge ;)

I agree with Shadowbow, I didn't see Ian has a Magenta ( :unsure:). The Magenta is a bit short in firepower to fight against a Kaiser but the all gun will make havoc in prussian medium and he is fast enought to escape the Kaiser. So a good choice for me here ! 

Thank you both for the advice!

We only got through 2.5 turns so far before we broke for the night (late start to the game) but hoping to finish the game tonight.

Admiral X, I took your advice about avoiding the kaiser and deployed my bulk of the fleet on the opposite side to avoid his guns and go after his smalls and mediums. So far it is working out as he has one corvette left and most mediums are under fire or on fire (love those heat lances ;) )

Shadowbow, thankyou on the advice for the all gun magenta. I was going to take a heat lance but swapped it for the gun. She's been sending crits out or plinking smalls.

I hope to post a review and a small AAR on this matter. I will say the RoF are enjoyable to play and a good change of pace to my KoB

For me playing for RoF is to be agile. Even with units you have you can handle Karl in different ways. The First is that you can focus fire it with Toulons, Cherbourg, Couronne and Magenta. They have enough firepower to kill it in two turns, though they will need a lot of effort to do it.

The second way is to orchestrate a boarding action. Use your Toulons and Cherbourg to soften Karl a bit with shooting than move to the throat. Use Requins to kill as much AP as possible then proceed with killing blow using 15 AP from Toulons or Dieppes. Lot's of fun garantied.

And the third way is to simply ignore it, because Prussian medium and small ships should concern you more then Kaiser Karl. It's just a single ship and it would't do much harm alone.

I would try to get as much heat lances on the karl as possible and hope for generators offline or AP crits. Boarding might be tricky due to specialized defences and lots of angry prussians on board.

Finished the game with a solid win. At the end of the day, my opponent had a slightly damaged and on fire elbe and an undamaged Kaiser. I won the orders by completing the 70% kill order.

I had an undamaged squad of Dieppes, partial squad of Toulon's, fresh squad of Lyons, and lightly damaged Couronne. The magenta died an ugly death.

It was a fun game and a learning experience for the both of us. It was also our first game in over a month and we were both rusty on the rules. Just goes to show that we need to get more games in

Welldone Amiral !

Apparently, the Kaiser and the Elbe didn't made too many damage on your fleet ! You manage to dodge them or they just failled in destroying your forces before you clear all mediums and smalls ? 

My opponent did not aggressively bring his larges into battle. He is still learning how to play them effectively.

After the game, I gave him examples as to why it would be ok to send the kaiser into the fray sooner. He also could have used a little help in list creation.

Overall a fun game with newer fleets for the both of us and helped scrape the rust off of the rules.