scoot

Linking: minimum 1 AD per weapon system

So a friend pointed out today that on page 62 it states, "The Linked Fired Dice Pool is then reduced by HALF (rounding down) to a minimum of 1 Attack Dice per additional contributing Weapon System."

I've always missed that bit, and just halved the total regardless of how many weapons  are contributing.  Most of the time it doesn't make a difference, but for my Sorylian frigates which have 1 AD at RB 3 it means always rolling 5 dice, not 3, and I just want to make sure that's correct.  In addition, since impeding happens before linking, and pack hunters is added after, I assume my frigates will be able to always roll 7 dice at RB 3 as long as all 5 remain.

I think I just realized that it says to a miniumum of 1 per additional weapon system. I have always done it as you just add then half the total rounding down.

Example:

Focus of the attack has 1 AD

3 ships supporting 1 AD each total of 3,

after halving for linking total attack AD is 2 (1 from focus, 1 from 3 supporting halved)

Is that wrong?

Would it be 4 AD total?

"The Linked Fire Dice Pool is then reduced by HALF (rounding down) to a minimum of 1 Attack Dice per additional contributing Weapon System."

So that's 1 dice per weapon system as a minimum, AFTER halving. If a ship contributes two weapon systems to the linked fire each one adds a minimum of one dice.  In your example above, yes, it would be 4AD.  1 for the Focus Weapon and 1 for every other weapon system. As 1AD cannot be reduced to less than 1 through linking, the number of the adding shall be 1.

Admittedly it's not well explained but the wording is very clear. While the system kind of goes against the "half AD after addition" change from earlier additions, that's how the rules are now so that's how it works.

I realised this fact can sometimes make things a little hard to add up at the end, as you're meant to half the total pool, but can't half anything that would cause the minimum to go below 1.

The best way to deal with this is to add 1AD weapons to the focus weapons pool immediately, and not add them to the 'total linked' pool that gets split in half.

The only problem with that that I can see is that you may in some cases gain AD..  Lets take a look at 4 aqaun Chimera frigates:

Normal: 4 + (4+4+4)/2= 4+6 = 10 AD

Proposed 'remove the 3 first': 4+3+ (3+3+3)/2= 4+3+4= 11AD

I do confess that my local group has been playing this wrong and it makes our omnidyne and sorylian player very happy... 

I realised this fact can sometimes make things a little hard to add up at the end, as you're meant to half the total pool, but can't half anything that would cause the minimum to go below 1.

The best way to deal with this is to add 1AD weapons to the focus weapons pool immediately, and not add them to the 'total linked' pool that gets split in half.

I don't think this is a correct application of the rule.

The minimum after halving is 1AD per weapons system, so:

4 + (4+1+1+1) would be 4 + (7/2) therefore 4 + (3), but 3 AD is less than the total number of weapons contributing, so you add the minimum 4AD and wind up with 8 total.

In v2 you don't divide anything in half until you compile the whole pool of linking weapons.

@Uhoh22: You wouldn't do it for a AD of 4. You'd only do it if the AD was already 1. As its a minimum of 1 per weapon, you may as well just skip that step all together.

@Klarg:
I'm not following?

Why is the minimum 4AD?

If there are 4 ships, the focus is 4, the other THREE are 1 each, then that's 7 total.

The minimum is 1AD per ADDITIONAL contributing weapon system. (you don't include the focus weapon)

I suppose the other way to do it is just count each additional weapon system. Note how many are contributing. Combine your linking pools, half it. If the value is higher than the number of weapon systems contributing, proceed. If its lower, increase the number to the number of weapon systems.

I suppose the other way to do it is just count each additional weapon system. Note how many are contributing. Combine your linking pools, half it. If the value is higher than the number of weapon systems contributing, proceed. If its lower, increase the number to the number of weapon systems.

That is how you do it.

No, because in most cases this can cause you to lose a AD than following the rules.  Follow the rules in three easy steps:

1. Add the AD of all linking weapons systems (not the lead system, just the rest) and then half that, rounding down.
  2. Count the number of linking weapon systems.
  3. Use the higher of the two numbers above.

Generally, unless you have 1 AD being added by any weapon system, you can ignore step 2.

@Uhoh22: You wouldn't do it for a AD of 4. You'd only do it if the AD was already 1. As its a minimum of 1 per weapon, you may as well just skip that step all together.

@Klarg:

I'm not following?

Why is the minimum 4AD?

If there are 4 ships, the focus is 4, the other THREE are 1 each, then that's 7 total.

The minimum is 1AD per ADDITIONAL contributing weapon system. (you don't include the focus weapon)

Yes. You and I are agreeing. (along with alextroy) I was copying Uhoh22's notation for a hypothetical 5 weapon linking example.

Focus: 4AD

Link: 4,1,1,1 AD.

In longer form:

1. Add up the dice of all linking weapons (but not the focus)

2. Divide that number in half and round down.

3. Pick the higher of:

A. the result of step 2

B. The number of weapons whose AD were compiled in step 1.

4. Add the number picked in step 3 to the AD of the focus weapon for the attack.

Step 5: Destruction!

Good point this really helps for 1 PD doesn't it?  Example 5 frigates with 1 PD each. 

1 + (1+1+1+1)/2 = 3

But you actually roll 5 dice (not 3) total because there are 4 contributing weapons systems Linking Fire?

i dont think you would as PD is not a weapons system it is a defensive system (the same reason as it does not benefit from weapon sheilding)

And as I recall from beta, the rule was actually created specifically for small ship PD.  In the initial beta rules it didn't exist, and small squadrons with 1 PD per ship were getting decimated on turn 1 by torpedo fire (especially from Pilgrims--bleeping Terrans) because the 4 ship squadrons only had 2 PD (1 + (3/2 rounded down)=2).  I think there was some discussion about raising most tier 3 ships to 2 PD, but that messed with the smaller 3 ship squadrons (who already had 2 PD as partial compensation for their smaller SQ).  In the end someone (sorry, don't recall who) suggested making it a minimum of 1 per additional link and that seemed to work best and most simply.

In the end I think that's still the most common use of the rule.  It comes up in a few other places, but mostly tier 3 PD.

And I often wonder why everyone's frigates die on turn one...

In case anyone questions it :P that was very intentional by the old playtest group (I think Uncle Bigguns and Meatshield were the original champions of the idea) to help boost the defenses of weakened units and smalls - otherwise they always vaporized on turn 1.

So now are frigates a bit better? ;)

Zak

And I often wonder why everyone's frigates die on turn one...

In case anyone questions it :P that was very intentional by the old playtest group (I think Uncle Bigguns and Meatshield were the original champions of the idea) to help boost the defenses of weakened units and smalls - otherwise they always vaporized on turn 1.

So now are frigates a bit better? ;)

Zak

That helps them quite a bit. Basically doubling their PD defense for a squadron of 4. I still wouldn't want to get stationed on one though. ;)