Sign in to follow this  
Viktor

Vedryeth or Tarakians? Can't decide between the two

Hey there guys, I'm having problems deciding between these two factions to start with for my first fleet and haven't had an easier choice after reading the relevant threads. I like the Veydreth as they easially ally with the Sorylians, but the Tarakians seem overall more balanced. Could you guys and gals give me a hand?

I have a Tarakian Fleet, and the models are just awesome, but the Veydreth look great too, and they currently have more options in available miniatures.

So I agree with Northerndragons ;)

For single race either is fine for Patrol Fleet, but I think in larger games pure Tarakians would be quite boring as there are only 3 types of ship.

I actually bought both races and plan to use them together as Kurak Alliance. Tarakians seem to complement Veydreth in that they could push/pull the enemy into the Veydreth mines or get them closer for boarding.

I'm a big proponent of getting what you like the look of. The biggest issue with alliance fleets is getting to the larger fleet sizes. That should be fixed soon when tier 3 vessels start hitting the store.

I'd suggest Tarakians, (not just that they're my favorite sculpts so far, but) because they have a fairly unique weapon setup and will play genuinely differently to most (if not all) the other races. That and the Sanarl Battleship is a true beast. Seriously. It's a glorious monster. The big drawback is a lack of variation available to a Tarakian fleet selections, but with two patrol boxes you'll be fine for games up to ~1200.

I am mixing the various small factions. Obviously, there has to be a core faction fulfilling minimum tier selections, but anything else is free to go. You will need it anyway, or your faction becomes dull.

With a tarakian PF You are even good till 1200, just have to play regroup on frigates first turn.

Want a carrier? ryushi. Dreadnought? Xelocian e.g.

Assaults? Terquai or veydreth...

From the 2 factions You consider, I have a Tarakian PF and 3 veydreth gunships.