Guest Delboy

Tactics for Corporate Success - Directorate Tactica

Trojans i've always felt and said before, feel very lackluster to me without the cyber boost, be it TAC card or from the Arbiter. The Arbiter makes them arguably a lot more better and worthwhile taking in conjunction with it, but beyond that they're mostly either there to be cheap bulletshield/distraction to me. If you do not wish to take the Arbiter I would definately focus on a more plasma damaging output list than Cyber, with the exception of Deadlocks if you go for Recon Helix because those guys output mean CQB and decent Cyber AD regardless.

It also depends what points you are playing at sir, as i've said else where some of the factions definately are not balanced equally in the lower points brackets. Core vs Core I definately feel there is some discrepancy, that plays a part too, so abit more information would be needed about what points brackets you play and such. :)

I personally have believed all the buzz about the Trojans and in general have ignored them as an option. Based on the chart, the pay out doesn't seem to be as high or synergize as well with other aspects of our forces compared to Armada. I have determined that overall, for cost/defense/AP our Medium Tanks are pretty effective. And I have always been the type of commander who would rather have more guns than more toys. Because the gun is what is going to do work. While I do still believe that, I have tried out using the Trojans partially to test out their effectiveness now that they have Cloaked (A Mar I think we can all agree is one of, if not THEE best, defensive MAR in the game) So far, I have been plesantly suprised by their capacity. Now, I can't deny that I got lucky when I rolled a 6 on an unmodified dice roll the first time against a squad of 2 Heavy Dindrenzi tanks. What I have found is that they don't give up too many TV, they are survivable due to the Cloaked MAR, they have the capacity to cause an activation of a 4+ when combined with the Command Helix and the Cyberwarfare TAC. Now, the biggest thing is that I flat out these models forward sometime during the first turn, to act as a mobile firebase which is intended to draw fire. In general, your opponents with shoot at them because they KNOW that if those things happen to activate even 1 squad, it will cause havok. It's going to affect movement, damage output, and overall just give the opponent a feeling of complete demoralization. Better than any actual 'Terror' weapon. I personally recommend skipping over them at lower point games, I will admit they just aren't 'reliable'. BUT, after losing a few Medium Tanks or Heavy Tanks, I think you might say to yourself... "I sure wish I had a cloaked unit I could push up front to absorb some damage for the rest of my units which, preferably something where if I lose it, I don't actually lose any real damage potention" .... And then remind yourself of the name, Trojan.

With the Arbiter, I would take them every time and have them hug it, the Arbiter's rule to -/+ 1 from the Cyber table is just gravy for Trojans. Essentially, if they shoot something and manage a roll on the chart, there is a very decent chance they will inflict 1 damage simply because of the Arbiters buff. 2-3 being a Disorder marker means that if you roll a 1, you can knock it up to a 2 (if you don't want the Rushed Shots debuff that is) and if you roll a 4 you can knock it down to a 3 (this is assuming you don't want the corrosive).

This means that essentially, your table suddenly, should you choose, becomes 1-4 = Disorder marker (and 1 guaranteed point of damage), 5-6 = Activated. (If you bump a 5 up to a 6) which makes them a very versatile weapon suddenly when you look at it this way. Add to that they relatively cheap, and also rather durable as well as having very decent CQB, they suddenly become much more worth their points.

Add to this that the Arbiter is also bringing a 30" 18AD cyber weapon of it's own that can engage flyers, along with a drone nexus and a devastating Deadlock GC, I think the Arbiter is going to become one of those must have helixs for Directorate alongside with the Wraith, probably competing for it now since whilst before the Wraith brought pure firepower, the Arbiter suddenly makes our toys actually useful and bring decent weaponry with itself, and a deadlier infantry accompaniment.

P.S. Oh, and biggest issue I had with Cyber.. it fixs the rolling 6 on an already activated unit, since now you can knock those 6s down to 5s and at least get a corrosive marker! \o/

With the Arbiter, I would take them every time and have them hug it, the Arbiter's rule to -/+ 1 from the Cyber table is just gravy for Trojans. Essentially, if they shoot something and manage a roll on the chart, there is a very decent chance they will inflict 1 damage simply because of the Arbiters buff. 2-3 being a Disorder marker means that if you roll a 1, you can knock it up to a 2 (if you don't want the Rushed Shots debuff that is) and if you roll a 4 you can knock it down to a 3 (this is assuming you don't want the corrosive).

This means that essentially, your table suddenly, should you choose, becomes 1-4 = Disorder marker (and 1 guaranteed point of damage), 5-6 = Activated. (If you bump a 5 up to a 6) which makes them a very versatile weapon suddenly when you look at it this way. Add to that they relatively cheap, and also rather durable as well as having very decent CQB, they suddenly become much more worth their points.

Add to this that the Arbiter is also bringing a 30" 18AD cyber weapon of it's own that can engage flyers, along with a drone nexus and a devastating Deadlock GC, I think the Arbiter is going to become one of those must have helixs for Directorate alongside with the Wraith, probably competing for it now since whilst before the Wraith brought pure firepower, the Arbiter suddenly makes our toys actually useful and bring decent weaponry with itself, and a deadlier infantry accompaniment.

P.S. Oh, and biggest issue I had with Cyber.. it fixs the rolling 6 on an already activated unit, since now you can knock those 6s down to 5s and at least get a corrosive marker! \o/

Err, if I'm not mistaken 2-3 is a debilitating marker, not disorder. So you do a damage on 3+ only. (Played a game and scored five 1s and 2s, cumulating debilitating / cyber markers...)

Sounds like you need to perform the ritual of dice burning, but I got abit word messy in what I mean there, but I meant essentially, with the Arbiter you can turn 4 results from rolls into damage (3 knocked up to a 4 and a 6 knocked down to a 5) to give you a much better chance of scoring that disorder, overall general jist is Arbiter's cyber buff kinda rocks in how it lets you manipulate that chart. Still won't save you from traitorously bad dice. :P

Hi all. 

I am new to Planetfall and the Directorate 

thanks to everyone for posting great comments so far. I look forward to hearing more about everyone's strategies and personal experiences 

I currently have one core helix, a heavy helix , an assault helix, a ground attack helix and the Works Raptor allies. 

My main drive is models I want to paint. I am thinking of either a second core helix or a command helix next.

thoughts? Advice?

On 7/8/2016 at 2:33 AM, WestAustralian said:

Hi all. 

I am new to Planetfall and the Directorate 

thanks to everyone for posting great comments so far. I look forward to hearing more about everyone's strategies and personal experiences 

I currently have one core helix, a heavy helix , an assault helix, a ground attack helix and the Works Raptor allies. 

My main drive is models I want to paint. I am thinking of either a second core helix or a command helix next.

thoughts? Advice?

Having 2 core boxes for taking up to a full really helps, I'd advise that first.

I've gone with an aerial theme so far with my directorate, any of the flyers for directorate (ground assault, interceptor and leviathan) are really cool.

The leviathan is my favourite out of the 3, I like the whole transport inside a transport idea, not to mention it looks incredibly cool.

1 hour ago, WestAustralian said:

Thanks for commenting Rezfon 

I forgot to mention I have the ground attack aircraft set. The Shade is awesome.

I will put serious consideration into getting a second core. 

i still am unsure on the whole flying doughnut leviathan. I don't like the pic that Spartan has. 

The Wraith model is way better in the flesh than what is shown on the box. I'm currently painting mine up and I think the model is brilliant. I've only used it twice but has had a sterling performance on both occasions

On 7/10/2016 at 0:21 PM, Barolde said:

The Wraith model is way better in the flesh than what is shown on the box. I'm currently painting mine up and I think the model is brilliant. I've only used it twice but has had a sterling performance on both occasions

I second this, really didn't think much of the box pictures but when you hold it and have it on the flight stand it really is something else.

How do you capture objectives? I´m usually not able to capture any other objective than my home objective.
Informers get killed quite easily and infantry is too slow as it needs at least two turns to capture an objective.

Also I find out that we do not have many tactical options - no sky drop, very few artilery, no good flanking unit

On 8/21/2016 at 11:20 AM, Bratr said:

How do you capture objectives? I´m usually not able to capture any other objective than my home objective.
Informers get killed quite easily and infantry is too slow as it needs at least two turns to capture an objective.

Also I find out that we do not have many tactical options - no sky drop, very few artilery, no good flanking unit

Unlike forces such as Dindrenzi and Relthoza who have easy access to primary objectives with sky drop, Terrans who can disembark after moving flat out and the Aquans who are super fast, the Directorate really struggle to get across the board before the game ends inside of our core helix.

The helix that can sort that is the Leviathan helix. The Leviathan cruise move is 1" more than the Intruders flat out, you then get the disembark distance with the haunter followed by the disembark distance with the infantry and then if you're lucky a storm move if you're just out of range to go into base contact.

Also, there is still the possibility to flat out with the leviathan. Ok, you can't shoot on that first turn, but on the second one, you have the guarantee to disembark your transport, your infantry, and maybe to take your primary after a storming CQB (at which a Directorate grand company almost has no equal). It could worth the loss of one main ordnance phase. 

Just played my second PF game ever and my Retaliator med tank squad got squashed by Heimdal Terran med tanks. When you compare the two, Heimdal has one more shield and slightly worse armor, but it's pumping out more fire than Retaliators (8/7 vs 7/5). 
Maybe I need to use the speed of Retaliators to move and position them in better ways, but in a 1:1 squad battle vs. Terrans it's not going well. Staying in 12" range is not possible, because in the next turn Terrans will move and get closer.

We both used half-helixes, since we just got started into the game. Great models, fast play, quite enjoyable. Still I wonder if there's some Directorate trick besides trying to get more squadrons and fight 2:1 instead of 1:1? Or maybe Directorate should employ aerial helixes or something else instead of putting a lot of points into tanks?

Thought I have limited Planetfall experience, I can say that core vs core is not my preference. If you and your friends can invest in another helix or two you will not regret it. 

However until that time there are things you can do. Try to make use of cover, speed and any other advantage you can. Get the first strike in, their response will be weakened. Have the next activation ready to follow up attack and hopefully finish them off

Also if I have learned one thing from my years of war gaming it is to not match like with like. Don't use your mediums against the opponents mediums. Use the heavy tank's toughness or the light tanks speed/manoeuvrability.

just my 1 cent

WA