Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robanes

Robanes' Legions

Hup hup hup! Legions V2 Federal Infantrymen assembled!

gallery_4795_901_265430.jpg

Just a quick review: these guys were pretty easy to put together. There was a lot of flash on the arms but that's nothing new. The only problem is that sometimes it distorts the ball joints on the arms so that they don't fit into the slots properly. Might be something worth looking into for Spartan.

Another oddity is that this set didn't come with eleven 30mm bases. It came with ten 30mm bases and two 40mm bases. As such I haven't been able to assemble the NCO yet. As I already have two FSA NCOs it's not urgent. Readers may remember the discussion we had here (http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/16540-federal-infantry-set/) about who was who and what was what, and this confusion may have extended to the base packaging. Maybe it's just a mistake. I'll probably just buy some spare bases when I next have the opportunity. Annoyingly my local doesn't seem to sell ordinary 30mm lipped bases at the moment but they might still have them in the rather feeble "shop" section of the tabletop club in the CBD. I couldn't really be bothered contacting Spartan and waiting for a single base to be sent over from the UK, but I thought I should point it out. Batch DM065 might need a looking at!

The models look good, though. The man firing from the hip (back row, far left), and the man with the big beard (front row, second from right) are particularly characterful. Like all Legions models, these will greatly reward care and patience.

Here's an in-progress shot of my Federal Infantrymen with a bit of basic colour work done:

gallery_4795_901_331410.jpg

I've been a bit preoccupied with WW2 miniatures lately (and designing my own rules with which to use them 'cause I don't think any of the popular ones blend historical accuracy and fun well enough :P) but I absolutely can't permit myself to buy anything new until my backlog is done, which is the same thing I said before I got all this Legions stuff late last year :unsure:

As an amusing aside, I got this for a fancy dress do I'm going to soon and I think it might be appropriate for when playing Legions:

gallery_4795_901_57858.jpg

I'm also going to take the opportunity to plug Lorenzo's monthly Legions newsletter, which for this month includes a short story written by me, Mysterious Glass, about a squad of Prussian infantrymen on patrol in the Dystopian World, a world with concerns not so far from our own:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyv507agu2vo7ny/Dystopian%20Legions%20Community%20Newsletter%201.pdf?dl=0

Good start with the FSA~and I love the helmet :D

What WW2 faction do you have/play? I have British Commandos and Finnish Rifleman for Bolt Action.

And thanks for adding the additional link to the newsletter :)

No problem.

The helmet is snazzy, isn't it? It's just a bit of cheap plastic but I find it very amusing.

In WW2 I have full platoons for British Rifle, German Grenadier (the old Bolt Action plastic late war Germans, not the newer "Grenadier" ones), Soviet Rifle, enough comrades left over for Soviet SMG, and, most recently, German Fallschirmjäger. I have British Commandos in progress but progress stalled when I realised that the Commando army I had collected for Bolt Action isn't very historically accurate, so I need reinforcements to make the composition more realistic.

I can't allow myself to get them, however, until I've painted all my current Legions back log: FSA Infantry, EotBS Ashigaru, CoA Commandos and CoA Automata. I also have some Wars of the Roses Knights on foot and horseback that I really ought to paint too.

I've made some more terrain recently so I might throw some new pictures together when the FSA men are done.

Bolt Action is a little dead at our place but we are doing our best to keep it living here.

My regular opponent and I got a bit fed up with some elements of Bolt Action and stopped playing it. I still collect the models, but use different rules. My home-made rule set is a little bit Bolt Action, a little bit Chain of Command, a little bit Disposable Heroes & Coffin for Seven Brothers and, oddly enough, a little bit Kings of War.

The way officers work is inspired by Legions, and uses command points and order tests.

I also use Dystopian Legions tokens with it. Thanks Spartan! :D

It's adult sized. It fits me and my head is massive.

I got it on ebay from a party shop here in Australia. It cost just under 8 dollars Australian (about 24 złoty!)

I hope in the Dystopian world they're made out of metal, as might be more possible in the Sturginium age, because as I understand it the real world ones, mostly leather, offered very little protection really.

Hello all, just some in progress shots to show that I'm still puttering away:

Federal Infantry are getting there but there's detail work and touching up to be done:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2016_08/medium.57a745ceca79d_Inprogress1.jpg.6be1e907aceb11e24e6d17dee276efd4.jpg

Ashigaru have been undercoated:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2016_08/medium.57a745d548ac9_Inprogress2.jpg.20a2c52ba3d5471026e544c98de53199.jpg

Bit quiet around here, isn't it? Haven't heard from Lorenzo or Giles in a while.

Federal Infantry completed:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2016_08/medium.FSA07.jpg.905d27006192102cddf58cc9eeb18a92.jpg

These guys were fiddly to paint. Maybe it's my sloppy undercoating, but I've always found the detail on the FSA models to be a bit soft. Still, they've turned out better than I expected and they'll get the job done on the table.

Ashigaru are in progress:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/uploads/monthly_2016_08/medium.57b023c882548_Inprogress3.jpg.8e5a9c9c90826b6f3016ea67597980a4.jpg

Very nice! I'm also working on the Federal infantry at the moment using a similar scheme. Will post some pics soon.

Do you know what the deal is with the piping from the backpack on the Federal infantry? I couldn't see anything in the fluff that seems to describe it, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place.... In some cases it seems to go into the carbine, and in others just end on the chest plate.

Thanks Pugwash :D

Those pipes are puzzling, aren't they? I've wondered if they're meant to be some kind of ammo delivery system (sort of like Zurg in Toy Story 2 :P) but they seem to have multiple tubes each. What for? It'd be nice to see some designer's notes.

There are two pipes that start from the backpack. The one hooked up to the stock of the gun is an ammunition feed.

The Orbat calls their guns Winchester Repeating Carbines but the original subject material stated they were built from the Spencer Repeating rifle from the American Civil War. Along with the Henry rifle the Spencer rifle was one of the first successfully produced models of repeating rifle. The unique feature of the Spencer Rifle is the magazine was located as a tube in the stock. Soldiers would fill this tube magazine with tubes they fill with cartridges, kind of like a stripper clip. The Victorian Sci Fi aspect of this is their ammunition is stored in the backpack and the connecting tube either provides a continuous steam of cartridges or they are just connected to refill the gun.

The other tube is connecting to the gas tank on the backpack. It's either oxygen for a gas mask that's not shown, or possibly a spitoon so they don't have to worry about what to do with their chewing tobacco.

So the Dystopian Empires proposal got me thinking about the Dystopian world again; thus I did a little more work on my V2 Ashigaru:

large.ashigaru_in_progress.jpg.3f144bbb3

Not a huge amount of progress, mind you; just a touch on the trousers and ammo, plus some tidying up. But it's something.

I must say, perhaps it's just me doing something different, but I'm finding the detail on the V2 Ashigaru to be much more clear and crisp than on the V2 Federal Infantrymen.

With the apparently possibility of the pendulum swinging back towards Dystopian matters in the nearish future, I'll probably do some work on my unassembled Antarcticans as well.

So back in January I was having a whinge about Covenant Commandos being hard to assemble because the arms don't actually attach to the shoulders properly (which they don't). Slick recommended Green Stuff, and a bit later I did get some when I happened to be at one of the local toy soldier shops. Then I never used it until today, when I finally sat down and finished assembling my Commandos.

large.CoA14.jpg.e3326d7e5bb0403ef638b8d0

Here they are then.

Once painted, I'll probably use the ordinary guys as my Officer's staff, and perhaps use the Sergeant as a stand-in Drone Controller or something. I'm aiming for an Automata-heavy force, because I think it's more in keeping with the fluff, so I don't anticipate taking multiple Commando squads at Line Section level very often, if at all, and I've already got the requisite one (which can be seen on the page before this in this thread).

I'd never used Green Stuff before (despite having done all this model-making malarkey for nearly 17 years), so I was pleased to discover that it's relatively easy to use.

Glad you found it easy to use! I also use it to plug up the gap in the base and helps to smooth that out. There is a company that shall not be named which makes liquid green stuff as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.