Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robanes

Robanes' Legions

I enjoy looking at your all your different units. So keep them coming!

Thanks tank0625! Here we go:

Britannian Line Infantry! Some more of my favourite models.

gallery_4795_901_48368.jpg

gallery_4795_901_42739.jpg

There's actually a little bit more work to go on these fixing them up that I forgot until I was taking the photos, but I'm still pretty happy with them. It's been a labour of love fixing these guys up - Spartan designs very nice models but they sure can be fiddly to paint at times. All worth it in the end, of course. Thanks to the advice of Sasori I put a lot of effort in trying to get a good amount of definition into the red on these gentlemen.

Pith helmets and red coats - it really defines Victoriana. These guys are surely the poster boys of Dystopian Legions. I've heard that in reality the pith helmets were manufactured in white and British soldiers tended to slather them in mud or soak them in tea to brown them up and make them less visible. While it seems like a waste of good tea, I like that option more, mostly because it's the more quintessentially (or stereotypically) British image.

From sea to shi-ning seeeeeea!

gallery_4795_901_43844.jpg

gallery_4795_901_110907.jpg

Here's the latest batch of guys I've been improving, my first section of Federal Infantry. I thought refurbishing these guys was going to be a big project, but it turned out that I'd initially done a better job on them than I thought.

Deciding on the uniforms for my FSA army took forever. Initially I tried Confederate grey, but I thought they looked too drab compared to my brightly-attired British and Prussians and thus didn't fit with the "flashy 19th century uniforms" look I was going for. I tried various variations of crossing Confederate with Union gear, trying grey coats with blue hats, blue coats with brown hats, and eventually I thought "I've been doing 1870s uniforms for everything else. The Civil War didn't even take place in the 1870s." So in the end I opted for a historical style closer to that of the post-war uniform. Of course in the Dystopian World the Confederacy won the Civil War, but the Civil War was (to my knowledge) fought in rather different circumstances, and I figured that in any event the revival of industry after the war would mean coloured uniforms would return as standard for certain regiments. The white trim was the breakthrough for me, although I also thought the gold would evoke the prosperity of a young nation forging a new path. Probably my favourite uniform item of all, however, is the Sergeant's Stetson. I've always been pleased with how it turned out.

My overall favourite model in this section is the Forward Observer on the far left. He's actually one of my favourite Legions models overall. There's something very solid and grave about him that I find appealing, like he's about to whip out his revolver while dispassionately calling down a mortar strike on an enemy position.

I agree, the Union Blue colors look better. I believe fluff wise, they could represent a state regiment. I was planning on painting the Iron Brigade (2ND Wisconsin).

It's a good idea. I discovered the Iron Brigade while researching the period. In actual fact the blue I've used is a bit too bright to be historically accurate, because US soldiers in the 1870s actually wore Prussian Blue uniforms. But Prussian Blue is reserved exclusively for Prussians in my collection to make things a bit more distinct - I'm sort of contending with the fact that on the one hand I want the uniforms to evoke real history, but at the same time practically every other army in the period wore blue. Speaking of which, and without further ado:

1. Legionnaires, la deuxième partie!

gallery_4795_901_216861.jpg

Merci beaucoup to Spartan for the Iron Scorpion pre-order upgrade. As you can see I've distinguished these monsieurs with white cross-straps and darker greatcoats.

Thus,

2. The complete Republique of France platoon:

gallery_4795_901_162281.jpg

As Mr. Dickens was fond of restating in A Tale of Two Cities, "Liberté, egalité, fraternité! ...ou la Mort!"

Definitely some of my favourite models.

Just a quick check in, couldn't think where else to put this: I've just started painting up the new models. Started with a Britannian Line Infantryman - had a spot of mis packaging with the Prussians which Spartan are kindly sorting out for me. I'm afraid I still don't have access to a camera for a few days more. That being said, I'm very impressed with these new sculpts as a painting opportunity. The very clear, crisp detail really shines through, and with decent fine brushes I think these models should be very satisfying to paint.

I've occasionally had a bit of a challenge with what I've called "fiddly" bits on Legions models in the past but I think these new sculpts have resolved those quibbles.

Here's the first of my new Britannians, just to give you an example of the level of detail I'm talking about:
gallery_4795_901_93654.jpg

Still needs a bit of work I think (and I know I'm far from the world's greatest painter), but painting this gentleman was much more rapid given the high quality of the detail.

Evening all,

Just wanted to pop in to say that I just received a stock of parts to replace the missing and mispackaged items from my new Prussian Grenadier box so I'll be able to get cracking on them soon. I wasn't sure what the best way of giving feedback was so I thought I'd throw it in here: big thanks to Spartan for fixing this up for me absolutely free of charge, it really is commendable service and I must say I'm very grateful.

Cheers!

Evening all,

According to this forum I posted on April 6th that I'd just bought the repackaged KoB and PE Infantry sets. Well six and a half months may have passed, but I've finally finished painting the basic infantrymen from the Britannia set! I've been busy with real life and other games the rest of the time.

I'll post a photo once I've painted the Sergeant and based the section. The Prussians will take longer because, as a result of Spartan's generous correction of the mispackaging of my Grenadiers, I have 14 models to paint rather than 11. I'm considering painting the 3 spares in black blouses (yep that's what the German battle tunic was called) and blue trousers as dedicated staff for Hahl. Then if I end up getting the Infantry Expansion set I'll have 2 Vierlings to attach to Hahl as well as 1 for this Grenadier section. That being said, it seems as if it would be wise to keep some Vierlings looking fairly standard if one wished to take the 3-Vierling Assault Grenadiers section. We'll see.

Speaking of the Expansion sets, has anyone played any games using HMG batteries? I'd be curious to see if they're useful.

I'm also thinking about dedicated Legions scenery at the moment as well. As I've shown before, I have a good deal of scratch-built scenery, but it was designed for 28mm models and is simply too small to use well with Legions. Things like walls, fences, hedges, trenches and so on are fine, but buildings and such less so. My scratch-built 35mm terrain comes to only a small number of things. I'm thinking of designing around 3 generic buildings for use with Legions as a sort of modular outpost. I was originally looking at miniaturising the designs used in Dystopian Wars, but they're nation-specific and I'm hoping to formulate something a little more generic, probably focusing on rivets, merging of traditional and industrial design elements, and so forth.

Well you can look at the generic terrain that Spartan provided for DW

It doesn't really fit in with traditional Asian architecture but should work adequately for most western Victorian tables.

Harbor set:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DWSC07

Towns and Installations:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DWSC06

Or you could do what I've started but only slowly getting work done on. You can build models of the DW models. I have the base structure for an Augusta Frigate. I have the cardboard ready to build the bridge and the boiler systems will be quick and easy to get set up.

It's 37.5" long and will be a great centerpiece terrain for a harbor fight or boarding actions.

Yes I had a look at those Wars sets as well. Might base something on a miniature version of the military bunkers from the Towns and Installations set.

I like the idea of a Legions-size Wars model as terrain. I've often thought that the deck of one of the medium tanks from DWars would be quite fun.

I personally wanted to build a naval model because I didn't have to feel bad about only building the deck and didn't need to waste time and resources building the entire thing tracks included when the only gaming surface would be the deck. 

Plus I think the naval vessels have significantly larger fighting surfaces and are a bit less cluttered.

I whipped up a basic bunker structure today based on those in the Installations set, albeit Legions sized - room for a Section within, with a rooftop battlement as well. I might knock up a tower and possibly... I'm not sure, a laboratory or command centre of some kind? I need to think about the design.

I got my Britannian Sergeant done this evening, so my Line Infantry section is complete. I'll upload a photo when I've done the bases.

I've started on the Prussians but 14 is rather daunting. It occurs to me that I also have a small force of Iron Scorpion Antarcticans to paint as well.

I have models from other games to get done too. I'm trying to set myself a goal of "don't buy anything new until you've got nothing left to paint" at the moment. Hopefully it works. If I want a break, I can always build scenery.

Robanes, never ever paint your last figure.  Whilst you have unpainted figures you always have something to live for, but once you paint the last one .... :unsure:

Believe me, I've been there.

I find the trick is to order something new around the time you're getting towards painting your last unpainted miniatures :ph34r:

You can always make terrain though, so you're never exactly finished :)

Personally I could paint at my current rate for the next 20 years and not finish everything I have stockpiled.

Have you considered doing any commission painting? I have a friend that I normally paint something for as a christmas present.

You can always make terrain though, so you're never exactly finished :)

Personally I could paint at my current rate for the next 20 years and not finish everything I have stockpiled.

Have you considered doing any commission painting? I have a friend that I normally paint something for as a christmas present.

Ah, I'm not good enough to paint for commission. Regardless, unfortunately my problem is too much of my own stuff left to paint anyway! It's not that much really, but enough that I feel like I must stop purchasing new things.

Making terrain is always a good break. I'll put a photo of my new bunker up when I get a chance.

Legions lives!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Would love to see those :D

Assuming I'm interpreting you correctly, your wish is granted:

(apologies for the crude webcam photograph; I moved house a few months ago and I don't know where the good cameras live in my new place, although I'll be finding one ASAP)

Here's a rubbishy in progress shot of bunker with complementary pith-helmet-wearing, tea-sipping, crumpet-nibbling, heavily moustachioed (but not as heavily as the Prussians, naturally), Queen and Empire-serving, red-coated, don't-cross-us-or-we'll-come-in-and-nick-your-country-style Britannian Line Infantry.

gallery_4795_901_8572.jpg

I only just discovered that when I built this I was completely misjudging the size of the bases - Legions uses 30mm bases, of course, but for some reason I was measuring for 25mm bases. It was meant to have enough room for five men to stand abreast, but in hindsight it might be for the best that they can't, as it could be considered too good to have such a heavy terrain piece which also permits its occupants to fire at full effect. That being said, my tavern model (back on page 1 I think) has plenty of room, so I can't really talk. This would suit a battery of machine guns I think, with two inside and one on the roof.

I just remembered that my Legions-scale railway is done too. When I've got one of the good cameras available I'll get a shot of that.

Prussians are well underway, with more or less all of the basic colours done. The sharp, prominent details of the new sculpts have made painting them relatively straightforward, which is nice.

I'm currently thinking a metal structure such as a watchtower/radio tower with room for a few men or a single heavy machine gun might be my next terrain feature. I've made a number of new linear pieces recently which I also haven't had a chance to use yet, so I'm looking forward to my next game of Legions (or perhaps WW2 ;) - moving on to Disposable Heroes as a more realistic replacement for Bolt Action) when I can see it in action. There are some ruins, new stone walls, short fences, rubble piles and breastworks. The busier the table when the scenery is set down the better, in my view (within reason, of course).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.