Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robanes

Robanes' Legions

Hey all,

Here's my first painted miniature from Codename: Iron Scorpion. Colours didn't turn out terrifically well on the camera, they're a little dark, but there you go.

More to follow! I might upload some of my existing stuff as a stop gap too, as I have armies for all four starting nations.

gallery_4795_901_143389.jpg

Great job. Did you use a black undercoat?

If you don't mind a little advice, try thinning down your paints a touch, you should get a more even coverage that way.

I look forward to seeing more Frenchies!

For the bases normally I just do brown dirt with a bit of grass. It's not all-purpose but I like it.

Great job. Did you use a black undercoat?

If you don't mind a little advice, try thinning down your paints a touch, you should get a more even coverage that way.

I look forward to seeing more Frenchies!

Yeah I did use black. I hand-undercoat all my models, incidentally, I don't use spray.

Cheers re the thinner paints, I'll bear it in mind - I tend to put them on straight out of the tube. I didn't realise how crusty it could look until I saw the photo! Guess my camera shows up more detail than the human eye.

Hello again,

Just so you know I'm not full of hot air, here are the 5 Legionnaires I've painted up so far:

gallery_4795_901_363101.jpg

And here's a sample of my Bond and Coalition forces opposed! See here for my usual basing scheme. Please excuse the crudity of some of my brushwork, especially on the American - I took a long time to decide on a colour scheme I liked and became a bit impatient. I'm more of a tabletop-ready-level painter than an expert, unfortunately.

gallery_4795_901_162080.jpg

Evening all (well, it's evening here),

Had a bit of a restless evening (I'm in Sydney and it's as humid as all get out) so I thought I'd while away the damp hours by taking some pictures of my Legions forces and the scratch-built terrain I was talking about recently. Warning: bit of an image heavy post. Also, sorry the photos aren't terrific. I'm no photographer and I was rushing a bit.

Anyway, diorama time!

gallery_4795_901_111160.jpg

1. Prussian Empire armour, after having partaken of some stein-based refreshment at the local Publican's House, resume their advance to the front.

gallery_4795_901_31674.jpg

2. Meanwhile, their pedestrian associates bolster some old medieval fortifications.

gallery_4795_901_190907.jpg

3. The heavy hitters wait impatiently for the foolish Alliance forces to make an appearance.

gallery_4795_901_36921.jpg

4. Meanwhile, somewhere on the other side of the world, FSA and Blazing Sun elites clash over a vital river crossing.

gallery_4795_901_191738.jpg

5. American and Japanese firebases blaze away at each other, while Doctor Orlington attempts a daring flanking manoeuvre. And yes, I know that these days that gas-mask Blazing Sun officer couldn't be accompanying that Ashigaru unit.

gallery_4795_901_84616.jpg

6. Back in Europe, Britannian forces take the risk of a Bond trap as they hastily capture an abandoned French town.

gallery_4795_901_29846.jpg

7. Bonus Pic 1: elsewhere, in Russia, Black Wolf pirates step outside to ensure that their secret outpost has not been discovered by Tsarist forces. Nope, no other Russians to be seen. Where are they? :P

gallery_4795_901_150388.jpg

8. Bonus Pic 2: The French fleet steams to war through a volcanic archipelago.

Wow, now that's an Army!!!!!

It was a good procrastination technique last year when I needed a distraction from my PhD. Finished one Legions force, better do another.

Fantastic! Great pics Robanes! Your scenery looks good, and I like the paint-up of the forces you have (if only so many of mine had been touched by a paint brush!).

Thanks Giles. I really need to give my Legions the once-over at some point soon though, some of the paint work isn't terrific. Even in the last few months I think I've improved substantially.

Here are some final pictures of my remaining forces and scenery. I think the only things I don't have from the existing ranges are:

MacDonald, Beauregard + Clockodile, Gustardt + Siegfried and Tonegawa + Isamu

A Ke-Ho Ironclad

Some Ryuma Steambikes

A Shinobi Kyudoka

Here's what didn't make it into yesterday's pictures.

1. A Grand Coalition battery to take all comers. I hope that American gun is lighter than the Britannian.

gallery_4795_901_98718.jpg

2. A small cemetery (to go with the chapel from the Britannian photo in the previous post) and some bocage hedgerows.

gallery_4795_901_66077.jpg

3. A couple of bunkers, proof from everything but flamethrowers and the like.

gallery_4795_901_60352.jpg

4. In-progress: a railway. There's a lot more track, but it's rather fiddly to paint and base.

gallery_4795_901_84228.jpg

This train was a bit of a curious matter. The issue of scale between model soldiers and model railways is a bit iffy, and of course good-quality railway miniatures can be enormously expensive. What I did was, once I knew roughly the scale I was looking for (somewhere around 1:56 or 1:48, I can't really remember now) I went to the local toy shop. What they had there, which I purchased, was a cheap, crude train set: what might be called 'tat' in some quarters, in a box covered in tellingly peculiar English. It cost me only $30 Australian - a reasonable price I figured for six pieces in the scale I wanted plus track.

Having done this I stripped down the train, removing the dodgy electronics (such as they were) taking off gaudy stickers, gluing the wheels down, detaching the big plastic hooks that held everything together and cutting off the more 'Wild West' looking parts of the engine: a cow-catcher and a big cone on top of the funnel. I then proceeded to repaint the train (which was in all manner of ostentatious reds, golds and bright silvers) in more muted colours. I attached new buffers made from the ends of notice-board pins to the locomotive, as well as a ring around the top of the funnel to give it a more European look. The track I had to reshape a bit (not enough straight pieces) and attached to shaved balsa pieces which should eventually be properly repainted and based (when I could be bothered - I go through 'scenery' moods and 'soldier' moods).

Of the scenery I've shown, the French town, Russian farm, bunkers, bocage and the like were actually built for use with WW2 miniatures, but they work well enough with Legions. The men are just a little tall - probably all that sturginium on their cornflakes. The Tudor house/inn, the keep, the trench, the heftier stone walls, the small house, the mill, the river and the bridge (there's another one I forgot to photograph) were all made specifically for Legions.

Love the train - you could make some very fun scenarios based around that! :D

Yep, it has been used once already as an objective. Also, if the full thing is spread out along the length of a 6' table it can make for a pretty interesting obstruction, where units are funnelled between the carriages in an effort to get line of sight.

I love the train idea (and cost)! Your paint job is very effective. Now, I wish I could fined a armored traiN like yours.

I believe there is a small company (Company B they're called) which makes a historical early Twentieth Century styled 28mm armoured train but it's not cheap. I mean, what I've got is just a regular passenger/freight train done up in dull metallic colours. Proper armoured trains are bulky and the carriages have guns and stuff, they look quite impressive.

Thanks for the feedback all, it's actually inspired me to go back and keep working on that track (three sections underway but six more to go :o ). I'm nearly done for the time being with painting the WW2 models I've been talking about, so I should be back on Iron Scorpion fairly soon - hopefully I'll be able to put up some pictures of Armoured Marines at some point in the near future.

The warmahordes group in Townsville used a similar train, and even made a railyard themed table (I useed to "borrow" it for Legions). Most of the time, the carriages were just placed on different parts of the tracks as cover. I did pencil up a Legions adaption to the house rules they made up for a moving train: the locomotive and coal tender use the same profile as a light Ironclad (except for not having a hard-mounted weapon). If it's towing carriages, it's a heavy ironclad (again, no weapons)

Bonsoir tout le monde,

Ici sont des images des Legionnaires de la République de la France.

All right enough of my French, and apologies if I've made some terrible grammatical mistake but different forms of 'de' still confuse me. Here here are some pictures of the complete squad (with some never-before-seen additions). I meant to have these on here sooner but the main storage drive in my PC inexplicably died the other day and I lost all of my Legions PDFs, lists, photos and so on irrecoverably. The bases are, of course, not done - they'll probably get done once I have the whole lot of Iron Scorpion French painted.

gallery_4795_901_81406.jpg

Legionnaires now with sergeant!

gallery_4795_901_6792.jpg

These are some of my favourite Legions models I must say. I was reading the other day that early in the First World War there was great outcry from some quarters in France when it was suggested that they act like Britain and Germany who had years before transitioned to less conspicuous uniforms, while the French forces still wore these outfits. Some people thought it was disgraceful that they were considering abandoning the bright red trousers. One has to admit, they do have panache.

So my RoF officer is done and I was just about to snap a picture - until I realised that the good camera has been spirited out of town for a few days, so I'll have to wait, which is annoying because I'm quite happy with it. Webcam is too blurry and the other 'real camera' in the house has come down with the dreaded 'lens error' so it will have to wait.

Meanwhile, Mlle DuBois and the heavy machine gun team are underway. Then I'm not sure if I'll do my second unit of Legionnaires (thanks to the Pre-Order Upgrade) or if I'll give Antarcticans their due. Thoughts? I'm thinking if I do Antarcticans next I'll at least be open to playing some Iron Scorpion scenarios, whereas the second Legionnaire unit is just gravy (as they say) at the moment.

Arretez-vous! C'est le temps du marteau!
1. Republique of France Officer! Please excuse the googly eyes.

gallery_4795_901_99541.jpg

2. French Officer again!

gallery_4795_901_3967.jpg

3. Le derrière du officier!

gallery_4795_901_65563.jpg

4. Officer with staff. I'll probably do his actual staff up in more flashy gear when I get them.

gallery_4795_901_200198.jpg

Here's my interesting French fact for the day: did you know that Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte, who in the real world was Napoleon III but in the Dystopian World is still President of the Republic, is buried at an Abbey in Farnborough in the UK, St Michael's, built specifically to house his mausoleum? One unexpected result of collecting Dystopian Legions is that it has greatly fired my interest in Nineteenth Century history. Everything is so much more rich and complex than I was ever taught at school.

Picture heavy post!

I was in a Blazing Sun mood today for some reason, so here are my Blazing Sun forces! They're the force about which I'm the most satisfied after the in-progress French. I'm going to do a bit of work on the Prussians, Britannians and Americans before I upload any more highly detailed pictures of them, because some of them aren't terrifically painted and I'd of course be embarrassed.

Ashigaru!

gallery_4795_901_127572.jpg

Master Okinawa!

gallery_4795_901_31756.jpg

Officer with Tiger Claw Shotgun (one of my favourite Blazing Sun miniatures) and Bodyguard!

gallery_4795_901_58274.jpg

Medics!

gallery_4795_901_14050.jpg

Shinobi! I don't have the Kyodoka yet. Got this lot in the Starter.

gallery_4795_901_53897.jpg

MMG!
gallery_4795_901_83428.jpg

Please see above for Part 1.

Type 17 Launcher!
gallery_4795_901_56005.jpg

Rocket Corps Samurai! These guys took an incredibly long time to paint, the wings were a pain (and it seems others than me have received 5 of one wing and 3 of the other so one Samurai is always stuck with assymetrical wings)

gallery_4795_901_211029.jpg

Officer with Kote Armoured Carrier!
gallery_4795_901_163351.jpg

Imperial Rifles! Very handy unit indeed.

gallery_4795_901_42175.jpg

Second Ashigaru Section with Alternate Rocket Projector Model and Ashigaru with Spare Rockets!

gallery_4795_901_15042.jpg

Banzai!

It was worth taking the extra time over the wings, it shows, and they are beautiful models, deserving a little more time spent on them.

Did you paint the red over a black undercoat? I'd maybe suggest another coat, or maybe a little highlighting, then a wash of red ink over it to smooth out the reds. Maybe another coat of flesh on the faces too, painting over the black can be an issue for these colours.

Great job, and wonderful to see these armies fully painted.

Did you paint the red over a black undercoat? I'd maybe suggest another coat, or maybe a little highlighting, then a wash of red ink over it to smooth out the reds. Maybe another coat of flesh on the faces too, painting over the black can be an issue for these colours.

Some of it was over grey, some of it over tan as I recall. The armour was meant to have a nice lacquer sort of finish but I think some of the detail is hard to see as they currently stand. More like lacq-ing, amirite? Thanks for the advice, I'll do a bit of work on it when I get the chance.

Now, without any further ado, behold!

1. Machine gun:

gallery_4795_901_34208.jpg

2. Mademoiselle DuBois!

gallery_4795_901_24536.jpg

3. A badly focused wide shot of the whole Iron Scorpion French force!

gallery_4795_901_140563.jpg

I got a second section of Legionnaires as my pre-order upgrade so I still have another lot of them to paint, but at least this is all the base Iron Scorpion stuff.

Antarcticans are underway!

Well I know I said Antarcticans, but I also said that I intended to touch up my Prussians, Britannians and Americans, and I spent this evening doing a little work on one of my sections of Prussian Grenadiers. Even though I collect all four starting factions, Prussians are notionally my "main" army - although I probably like Britannians nearly as much (pith helmets are almost as good as what's below), and I suspect French will be competitive for my affections too once more of their line is released.

gallery_4795_901_114516.jpg

gallery_4795_901_87536.jpg

I must say, these are probably the miniatures which made me want to collect Dystopian Legions in the first place. I've always found the pickelhaube in particular to be an extraordinarily distinctive piece of headgear, and I'd often thought that there was room in the world for a game of some kind which featured soldiers in those distinctive late Nineteenth Century uniforms from throughout Europe.

The colour scheme I've opted for here isn't random, incidentally. It's heavily modelled on that actually worn by Prussian soldiers during the era of the Franco-Prussian War and the majority of the history of the German Empire. The 'dunkelblau' (dark blue) tunic was a necessity for me because in my house there actually happens to be a tube of Prussian Blue paint, so it only made sense. Spartan's scheme, by contrast, evokes the 'feldgrau' (field grey) uniform, actually a range of shades from green to grey to brown, first adopted by the German Empire in 1907 and utilised in various forms by Germany until the end of the Second World War. The Empire-era feldgrau of course retains the flashy red piping of its dunkelblau precursor.

I did make one creative choice here, however. The piping on the trousers on the historical uniform was red, like that on the tunic, but I used white here so that I could maintain a visual link, using black trousers with white piping, to the Teutonic Knights.

gallery_4795_901_20449.jpg

This is the other unit which made me want to collect Legions back in 2013.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.